PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert fishing REPORT?

lonehunter
05-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Planning to go to prince rupert in second week of July with my own boat with the wife and kids , looks like its salmon retention is open this year. Any reports on salmon fishing so far? If salmon fishing is not good in prince Rupert I might change the plan to port Hardy or Nootka sound. What do you guys think or suggest?
Thanks in advance for any feedback

Jamie
05-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Planning to go to prince rupert in second week of July with my own boat with the wife and kids , looks like its salmon retention is open this year. Any reports on salmon fishing so far? If salmon fishing is not good in prince Rupert I might change the plan to port Hardy or Nootka sound. What do you guys think or suggest?
Thanks in advance for any feedback

Your timing is good. What do you know about the water there?
Spent any time boating on the open Ocean?
What is your Boat?
Are you yanking it each day or did you find Moorage?

Rupert is not for the unskilled, uneducated, or under prepared.

Jamie
05-10-2019, 01:57 PM
I see you have a kingfisher 2425 Escape. That will handle Rupert for sure.

If you don't know the water, I would suggest hiring a captain for a day or 2 and getting him to show you around. I can suggest a couple if you wish.

You could see if Ken from the board will be out there at that time. He is getting to know his way around.

Also, use Rupert Meats to do your fish.

Do you have Radar?

Ken07AOVette
05-10-2019, 02:57 PM
My buddy just left yesterday, fished Kitimat for a week and Rupert for a week.

He said there was not a rockfish to be found anywhere, did find some very nice springs, got some halibut and cleaned up on prawns. When I say he did not get rockfish, it shocks me as he is the best I have ever seen out there for nailing Lingcod. Present company excluded of course in Captain Travis.

I call him the Ling Cod Cod, he is that good after about 15 years of fishing Rupert.

I am going to be there July 14 for 2 weeks, would love to hook up. PM me for VHF and cell info.

Fishing anywhere can change 15 times in a day. On the guideboat we washed lines for 17 hours without a bite. Another trip we caught over 400 salmon in 5 days. We could not get lines in the water without catching, we were just trailing in the wash and catching fish. It was amazing.

Last year late there was a string of Coho that was just an unimaginable size. I think there are always fish there, but they move around too. Chasing currents, cold water, bait, outrunning sharks sea lions and orca, but always there.

thumper
05-10-2019, 06:10 PM
I'll be fishing the mouth of the Work Channel in mid-August. The fishing can be hot or cold there, but the whale show always makes it worthwhile!

Ken07AOVette
05-10-2019, 07:24 PM
I'll be fishing the mouth of the Work Channel in mid-August. The fishing can be hot or cold there, but the whale show always makes it worthwhile!

Watch for DFO CG and RCMP this year, if you are within 400m of whales and do not stop or adjust course they are fining.

Are you going too go into Alaska for Hali? I am hoping to in July, whole new set of problems but worth the adventure I think.

lonehunter
05-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Your timing is good. What do you know about the water there?
Spent any time boating on the open Ocean?
What is your Boat?
Are you yanking it each day or did you find Moorage?

Rupert is not for the unskilled, uneducated, or under prepared.

I just got my new Kingfisher 2725 offshore weekender, with Radar and vhf. and have booked a week on kinnikinik campsite, I haven't booked for moorage yet, first time going to Prince Rupert, last year we went on a guide boat for fishing port Hardy, This year with my own boat want to explore,

lonehunter
05-11-2019, 03:08 PM
I see you have a kingfisher 2425 Escape. That will handle Rupert for sure.

If you don't know the water, I would suggest hiring a captain for a day or 2 and getting him to show you around. I can suggest a couple if you wish.

You could see if Ken from the board will be out there at that time. He is getting to know his way around.

Also, use Rupert Meats to do your fish.

Do you have Radar?

That sounds awesome , I like to hire somebody for a day or two, please give me the guide details, I was gonna get kingfisher2425 escape but ended with 2725 offshore weekender edition, yes my boat has simrad 4g radar , vhf , and also is it good to book for moorage in advance or can I book when I'm there?

Serengeti Charters
05-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Watch for DFO CG and RCMP this year, if you are within 400m of whales and do not stop or adjust course they are fining.

Are you going too go into Alaska for Hali? I am hoping to in July, whole new set of problems but worth the adventure I think.

Hey ken. That’s not the case. That’s only in one small area by spike and it is voluntary! :)

thumper
05-11-2019, 06:51 PM

No, we'll have to find our hali in the channel. We usually shut down when the whales come too close, sometimes too close for comfort.

Fishfirlife
06-03-2019, 01:38 AM
Was out work Channel in April during herring run took a right at the first branch 235ft using a mudraker and limited out on halibut ling and rock cod three the snapper back due to new laws in about 5 hours 3 of us fishing man that channel if you know where to go can be the hootest sport fisherman spot

Fishfirlife
06-03-2019, 01:46 AM
Salmon trolling is great to in the channel come July when the are trying to head up the small run off rivers to spawn down riggers are needed hands down long leader with a herring plug have fun.

surhuntsalot
06-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Hey ken. That’s not the case. That’s only in one small area by spike and it is voluntary! :)

Around Rupert, and I believe coast wide... “It is unlawful to approach within 100m of a whale, or within 200m of an Orca”... also word is that DFO has now acquired military telemetry range finding binoculars, which can give them an accurate distance between vessels and whales... Key word is “Approach”, and if caught intentionally trying to get close it’ll cost you...