PDA

View Full Version : Shimano... Sahara or Nasci?

Kurt505
05-11-2019, 12:54 PM
I want to pick up a reel for my son, I’ve heard lots of good things about both the Sahara and the Nasci, and there is only $20 difference between the two, does anyone have expirience with these reels they’d care to share?

Walleyedude
05-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Well worth the $20 to go with the NASCI.

it’s got a better drag, lighter, salt water rated, and available in 500 and 1000 size.

Bushleague
05-11-2019, 05:10 PM
I bought a couple Sahara 2500 reels, despite the glowing reviews that many give this reel I have not been impressed. My wife uses them, so they get used more lightly than most of my reels. After about 2-3 seasons they are far more sloppy than my Pflueger Presidents which have been fished far harder and cost less. Maybe the higher end Shimano's live up to their reputation, but for what they cost only a true Shimano fan boy could love a Sahara IMO.

The Nasci might be a better reel, but for reels in the under $150 range I've got far better performance and longevity out of Pflueger and Daiwa. Based on that I wouldn't ever be interested in buying a higher end Shimano.

Kurt505
05-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Well worth the $20 to go with the NASCI.

it’s got a better drag, lighter, salt water rated, and available in 500 and 1000 size.

Better drag and lighter is great, I’m just getting him a 2500 as it’ll be an all round reel. He’s going to be 7 next month so I’m getting it for him for his birthday.

I was also looking at the Abu Garcia Revo X, it’s on sale and seems like a nice reel. I don’t have much expirience with Abu Garcia reels, I just have a revo premier bait caster.

Bushleague
05-11-2019, 06:02 PM
Better drag and lighter is great, I’m just getting him a 2500 as it’ll be an all round reel. He’s going to be 7 next month so I’m getting it for him for his birthday.

I was also looking at the Abu Garcia Revo X, it’s on sale and seems like a nice reel. I don’t have much expirience with Abu Garcia reels, I just have a revo premier bait caster.

I only have one Abu spinner, I couldn't even really tell you the model, but the skirt on the spool is a little short. My 7 year old owns (she liked the color so against my better judgement I got it for her) and she manages to get the line under the spool and wrapped around the shaft on a fairly regular basis. That said it is super smooth, the drag is great, and she has caught some truly huge fish on that thing.

HuyFishin
05-11-2019, 06:06 PM
My dad gave me a hand me down reel and a Canadian tire special rod when I was that age haha

Bushleague
05-11-2019, 06:30 PM
My dad gave me a hand me down reel and a Canadian tire special rod when I was that age haha

My grandfather gave me one of his old Mitchell 300s when I was 8, that reel still catches fish and will quite likely outlast me. It has exactly 0 ball bearings, a rudimentary but functional drag, and is rough as hell, but I greatly doubt that there is one single reel on the market now that will outlast its original owner and his grandchild, might even be able to give it to my grandchild.

RavYak
05-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Nasci, better in every way.

Kurt505
05-11-2019, 10:12 PM

He’s using an old Quantum Catlyst right now but he really loves fishing, it’s like his favorite thing so rather than a game station or more LEGO I figured I’d get him a reel that’ll last him until he’s in his teens.

Hartly
05-12-2019, 06:23 AM
He’s using an old Quantum Catlyst right now but he really loves fishing, it’s like his favorite thing so rather than a game station or more LEGO I figured I’d get him a reel that’ll last him until he’s in his teens.

I’m in the same boat. I’m so happy my son would rather fish than game. I went a little overboard. I bought my boy who is 16 a G Loomis E6X Walleye rod with a Shimano Stratic C14+. The way I look at it ,I’d rather have him hang out with me than chained to a computer or game box. When I gifted him the combo he freaked. The smile on his face was priceless. The joys of being a dad :) Hopefully one day he will have a family and carry on the tradition. Getting back to the question. The Nasci is a great reel. I love the 2500 series we have.. Tight lines and God bless.

Bolete
05-14-2019, 09:42 PM
I’m in the same boat. I’m so happy my son would rather fish than game. I went a little overboard. I bought my boy who is 16 a G Loomis E6X Walleye rod with a Shimano Stratic C14+. The way I look at it ,I’d rather have him hang out with me than chained to a computer or game box. When I gifted him the combo he freaked. The smile on his face was priceless. The joys of being a dad :) Hopefully one day he will have a family and carry on the tradition. Getting back to the question. The Nasci is a great reel. I love the 2500 series we have.. Tight lines and God bless.

That’s how I roll as well. If my wife knew how much I’ve spent on guitar and sporting gear for my 13 year old, I would be in deep trouble, lol.

Kurt505
05-14-2019, 10:12 PM

I bought my Dad nearly the same combo only I got him a Stradic FK. The guy would spend $5k on a fly-in fishing trip then pack a $20 Walmart rod/reel combo on the trip with dollar store mono on it, it drove me nuts so I set him up with a G Loomis and Stradic spoiled with 20lb power pro. He has no idea what it’s worth, and I don’t even think he’s noticed the difference, but I sure have and fishing’s a lot more fun when your not dealing with constant equipment failure.

I bought my oldest son a Shimano Saros and a St Croix Triumph when he passed grade 6, about 5yrs ago. He likes fishing but would rather be quadding or hunting. The little guy is on another level when it comes to fishing though and absolutely loves it so I see buying him a quality reel as just a good investment. I was looking at the Johnny Morris platinum signature series reel today as well, I might grab one of those.