PDA

View Full Version : Euro style predator rods?

Bushleague
05-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Last season I picked up an 8' catfish rod for fishing big deadbaits for pike, like I see the all the brits doing on U-tube. The experiment was a success and I'm interested in putting together a better setup. Looking for a 10-12' rod that can handle casting 4-5 oz of weight, probably going to put a baitrunner type spinning reel on it. Does anyone know where I could find this type of gear? Thanks.

mlee
05-13-2019, 03:20 PM
I picked up an 8'6" fenwick elite tech heavy medium action 2 piece rod earlier this spring for the same reasons.
I did not want to commit to a one piece rod but I wanted something that I could use with the big pike/musky baits or on the river with heavy sinkers.
I was out Saturday throwing around 6oz like nothing. I need to get used to the new baitcaster reel still.....but it had no issues with the weight and I was able to cast to the same spot time after time.
Got the rod at the fishing hole for around $150

pinelakeperch
05-13-2019, 04:04 PM
I bought an UglyStik Catfish MH 8ft and paired it with a Penn Battle II 6000 spooled with 40lb PowerPro. Pretty easy to cast 4oz weights!

Bushleague
05-13-2019, 05:27 PM
I bought an UglyStik Catfish MH 8ft and paired it with a Penn Battle II 6000 spooled with 40lb PowerPro. Pretty easy to cast 4oz weights!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I have right now.

blueshark
05-14-2019, 09:18 PM
Look for a carp fishing rod in the 3lb to 3.5lb TC range. Google shows a few suppliers in North America / Canada, for example:
http://www.carpkit.com/categories/Rods/