PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon in lakes?

slough shark
05-16-2019, 07:27 PM
I was talking to someone today that said they thought there were sturgeon in some of the southern ab reservoirs, I’ve never heard of that before but was intrigued, has anyone heard of such a thing?

Talking moose
05-16-2019, 07:29 PM
I was talking to someone today that said they thought there were sturgeon in some of the southern ab reservoirs, I’ve never heard of that before but was intrigued, has anyone heard of such a thing?

Not sure about our lakes but they are in lakes. Pretty sure Diefenbaker has em in sask...

Talking moose
05-16-2019, 07:30 PM
If those reservoirs are tied into the south Saskatchewan river system, they may. If not there is no chance.

Talking moose
05-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Sturgeon in Alberta are in the north and South Saskatchewan River system and some of the tributarys. (Lower red deer, Oldman, etc.)

slough shark
05-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Well most of the lakes are connected through the eid system (bow, ssr) whether or not sturgeon get far enough up is unknown to me. Has anyone ever caught them in a lake?

Teamprotz
05-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Some big ones in Candle lake sk, come / came a long way up the torch river from the north sask ! Lots of candle lake monster stories

YeeHaw
05-17-2019, 11:46 PM
Always heard stories, but would never get passed the dam

facultoad
05-20-2019, 12:11 PM
It’s possible to get into BID if they went as far upstream as carseland in the Bow, which historically they did but I assume it’s rare. Maybe during a high runoff or flood though. There would be very few if any in Those reservoirs but it’s possible. I heard of a sturgeon in the Waterston river 20 years ago.