PDA

View Full Version : Jackfish Lake Questions

fish-man
07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
So I live close to Jackfish lake now, and I want to try it, but all I know is that you have to pay $10 parking... so if anyone could answer my questions I'd be much obliged?

1) What kind of fish (and relative size) are in that lake? I'm guessing pike from the title, but are there walleye or perch as well?

2) Is the lake easy to fish from a canoe?

3) Any hot spots or hot lures anyone wants to share?

thanks guys!

seahawkfisher
07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
pike, perch, walleye, might find a few burbs; don't know about the hot lure, but i do know that place can be a pleasurecraft-gong show when the water heats up.
good fishing for smaller pike and the odd walleye

cheers

e40water12
07-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Would that jackfish lake, Is that the one south Mayrnam?.

fish-man
07-01-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure where Mayrnan is... this one is between Spruce Grove and Genesee.

D'ya guys know if you can keep any fish there?

Rob
07-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I'll give you, and whoever else, what I know;

First of all, it is $10 for the use of the launch & parking, but the actual launching site is rather small and only deep enough right beside the floating dock, which makes it a bit interesting when people A. don't know how to launch/ load, or B. are impatient. Tip - go early and leave late!

In my opinion, this lake would be/ is ideal for a canoe or smaller boat, as it is fairly small and you can almost always find somewhere to duck-into, away from the wind. That being said, I fish from a 17ft Princecraft and have been annoyed several times on this lake by Jet skiers and wake-boarders - it's a small and narrow lake.

As for the fishing, Walleye are C&R, but I can honestly say this is one of my favorite lakes when making the trip up North is out of the question. I have personally caught several over 7lbs, have friends who have caught 8's and one friend who caught one over 10. I would say most fish run between 2-4lbs with the odd bigger one thrown in - great for kids, guests and photos. As for the pike, they are plentifull, but they are small.

My favorite tactic for Walleye on Jackfish would definately be slip-bobbers and leeches - by-far! I fish almost exclusively 10ft or shallower, and usually anchor about 20ft from shore. The shoreline seems to be the same all over, with what seems to be a small dropoff not far from the weedline. Find that dropoff and drop your bobber right next to it in about 5-6ft of water (on sunny and calm days, you can actually see the color change from light to dark where it drops) One great spot is the east side of the small island located in the south end (from the boat launch go straight out and to the left of the large island in front of you. Follow it to the left and you will enter another section of the lake. Keep heading south and you will see a small island all by itself. Left side as you are looking at it) Tip - calm, sunny and hot days are best....really!

Other than that, this lake is easy to explore and easy to pattern. I have about 5-6 hotspots (that are all as described above) and I just rotate around from one to the other. Catching 50 - 60 Walleye between a couple anglers is very common, which surprises alot of people, and makes me wonder how often the cabin-owners dine on Walleye cheeks! None I hope.

Hope this helps, as this lake is a great place to introduce your kids to some good fishing, and a great place to teach them catch and release values.

Cheers