PDA

View Full Version : Solar battery charging

rcmc
05-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Is anyone charging their trolling batteries on a boat with a Solar setup. I have a 24v setup to run my MK trolling motor and looking for info on what guys are using out there. I'am talking to Canadian Energy in Medicine Hat about it now but any advice that someone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

coyotezh
05-27-2019, 09:43 PM
hdd

Drewski Canuck
05-28-2019, 10:47 AM
I keep small solar panels on my batteries while the boat is sitting for a week or two weeks at a time.

Biggest problem of Alberta lakes is a 30 minute run is a long run, but not even close to the time needed to charge a battery off the main engine.

Most times you leave shore with a half dead battery and it gets worse.

If you keep a panel that is good enough quality to have overcharge protection all week long on the battery, on Saturday morning you have topped up batteries ready for the weekend.

Drewski

kouleerunner
05-28-2019, 03:29 PM
Is anyone charging their trolling batteries on a boat with a Solar setup. I have a 24v setup to run my MK trolling motor and looking for info on what guys are using out there. I'am talking to Canadian Energy in Medicine Hat about it now but any advice that someone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

I would advise not going this route. You will never get enough voltage to recharge the batteries by sun in a short period of time. Invest in an 2 or 3 bank (better) onboard charger, and a small generator. Problem Solved