PDA

View Full Version : Charging battery from kicker help

raw outdoors
05-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Is there a way to charge my battery to keep my downriggers and electronics working all day. I have a older 4 stoke 5HP Honda. It has two red wires running out of the coil one goes to the oil pressure light one to the throttle someplace. Then it just has a wire to the plug in blue and a ground in green.

I can’t seem to find any readable power with my meter. It has a green oil pressure light to there must be some power.

kouleerunner
05-27-2019, 03:01 PM
My kicker does. It's a mercury 9.9 pro kicker. Save my ***** several times!

Is it electric start? Connected to the main battery? If not, it may not have a stator connected. Thus, will not be able to charge the battery

If it is for both, have it checked out. There may be an issue with the stator connections.

raw outdoors
05-27-2019, 07:17 PM
It is not an electric start.

bigrfish
05-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Do you not have room for a good deep cycle?
I run all of my electronics off of one 27 and haven't had an issue yet. I like the merc pro kicker feature tho.

freshtinov
05-29-2019, 05:32 PM
My 15hp Yamaha did not come stock with charging cables but, There is a regulator kit I bought from Yamaha that plugged into the stator wires and gives me 12vdc when running. I do not have electric start or anything else either but, it gives me enough charge too keep my trolling battery from ever going down. Not sure about an older Honda though.

Kim473
05-30-2019, 07:38 AM
Is a solar panel an option ? Don't know much about them but it seems like one would give you a couple more hrs of battery life. And fully charge when not using electronics.