PDA

View Full Version : swan lake by grande prairie and debolt alberta

bruce44
07-02-2009, 11:10 AM
has anyone gone fishing there yet. I have gone twice i got skunked once and caught a 3 pounder on the second time. i use spoons But i see all these people getting multiple fish nonstop using flies. I asked these 2 guys what they were using but i couldnt hear them. You guys know what flies work its for rainbow.

QBC
07-02-2009, 11:24 AM
I'd stick with the old stand by patterns. Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratleys, leaches, Carrie Special. Lake rainbows can be caught on so many patterns and techniques though. My favorite is still working shoal areas using a floating line and a strike indicator with a chironomid or micro leach 6 inches off bottom. Painfully slow retrieve is required for this though.

bruce44
07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
sorry i dont own a fly rod i just use a bobber and a fly that seems to work for other anglers but i dont know what flies they use

TUFFBUFF
07-02-2009, 11:36 AM
The spoons work earlier in the spring there when the bigger ones are up shallow along the reeds trying to spwan, the males strike out of aggresion to protect their spot. Use some leech streamers in olive or purple with beadheads if you got 'em, they also like stuff with a bit of red and sometimes orange. later on in the summer you'll have to go deep and slow.

bruce44
07-03-2009, 06:40 AM
The spoons work earlier in the spring there when the bigger ones are up shallow along the reeds trying to spwan, the males strike out of aggresion to protect their spot. Use some leech streamers in olive or purple with beadheads if you got 'em, they also like stuff with a bit of red and sometimes orange. later on in the summer you'll have to go deep and slow.

see thats what i was thinking. ill try spring next year i was told when the ice is still half covering the snow. Have you been there. I dont make my own flies but ill try to find some your describing. I realized they do like red that was the spoon i was using and it worked better than the others. Ill try the flies you suggested. I was just wondering though how is the fishing in the fall

johnk
07-03-2009, 07:00 AM
They most definitely like chironomids:

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/johnk/Swan_Lake_003.jpg

exportblue
07-03-2009, 09:22 AM
if u bobber fish from boat launch i know corn works well, give that a try. great fish in that lake good luck

bruce44
07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
They most definitely like chironomids:

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/johnk/Swan_Lake_003.jpg

holy that you cant even get your hand around that fish lol. Thanks everyone, i really needed your advice cause im only 20 and i have only fished for trout in rivers where i can see them so i just used to plop the worm right infront of them lol. But lake fishing is much harder specially in cloudy waters like the swan lake

QBC
07-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, as soon I get my Pontoon boat here...I'm going to have to hit Swan...looks like fun!

bruce44
07-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, as soon I get my Pontoon boat here...I'm going to have to hit Swan...looks like fun!

yeah its really weedy on the shores but its one of those lakes where 80 percent of the fish are 3 pounds or bigger

TUFFBUFF
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
bruce -

I only fish it in the spring, in the summer it slows down quite a bit and I hit my other spots, and then it's hunting season. In the fall when the lake turns over it probably would pick up again, maybe someone else on here can comment on that.
this lake is popular but the average size has dropped off in the last three to four years.

good luck
MB

bruce44
07-03-2009, 01:15 PM
bruce -

I only fish it in the spring, in the summer it slows down quite a bit and I hit my other spots, and then it's hunting season. In the fall when the lake turns over it probably would pick up again, maybe someone else on here can comment on that.
this lake is popular but the average size has dropped off in the last three to four years.

good luck
MB

what month in the spring. and what are other great places near grande prairie. I cant seem to find any other places where you dont need any boats just casting from the shore

TUFFBUFF
07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
spring lake, kakut pond, moonshine lake usually shore fishes alright. there is also a pond at grovedale on hwy 40. those are the closer ones, only been to spring and two lakes this year besides swan. It all depends how far you want to go.

TUFFBUFF
07-03-2009, 01:36 PM
-I fish swan ice out until end of may, the fist 2 weeks of june should be good also - sorry forgot to add that

troutpirate
07-03-2009, 02:01 PM
i was there for a couple days last week and had non-stop action with big ,aerial, hard fighting rainbows. we were rippin' big ugly streamers FAST.
the dirty ugly water in that swamp gives the advantage to the fisherman in my opinion.
advice on what types of flies to use wont help you much if you just want to dangle it underneath some big old spin casting bobber. you would certainly do better with worms and powerbait.
buy a flyrod then the advice you are asking for might actually improve your chances.

exportblue
07-03-2009, 07:21 PM
so where is this kakut pond i keep hereing about, close to gp? About the fish size in swan. I was there about 4 yrs ago now when all the fish were dieing and washed up on shore, %90 of the fish i saw all over the shore around the lake were all the really big ones, like 6-10 lbs hudge. I herd from a fishin game that they had a bad desiease then. thined out the big ones. Fishing is still awsome there but i sure wouldn't eat them. Heading there this sunday, hope its not to busy but i am sure it will be.

exportblue
07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
hit swan today what an awsome day 25 fish between three people, can't ask for better fishing then that. Had alot of big ones and small ones and lost a hudge one at the boat due to not a big enough net. I was some choke with my self, totaly screwed up the gf nice fish. I would guess anywhere from 8-10 lb er. No joke it was a shame to see it get off the hook due to small net and hitting the hook din't help either. Well they r in there for sure and so goin back next days off. Little hint that was awsome for us...... florecent green fly was the killer of the day and next was panther martin with fake magets for bait. ENJOY!!!!!!

Cal
07-06-2009, 09:34 AM
i think chronomids properly fished below a bobber work at least as well as on a fly line if not beter. My own theory is that with a flyrod the fly will be pulled straight during the cast and hangs unnaturaly below the strike indicator. With a spinning rod you can hang the fly horizontaly and throw it out there without the cast straigtening it out. As well I think that nymphs can be fished more efectively on a spinning rod in many instances. I still use a fly rod for all my trout fishing but the wife often outfishes me, once they start rising though the tables turn.

TUFFBUFF
07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
X2 Cal
makes sense to me - i think trout would have a hard time telling between a nymph/bobber on a spin rod or strike indicator/nymph on a fly rod.

QBC
07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
i think chronomids properly fished below a bobber work at least as well as on a fly line if not beter. My own theory is that with a flyrod the fly will be pulled straight during the cast and hangs unnaturaly below the strike indicator. With a spinning rod you can hang the fly horizontaly and throw it out there without the cast straigtening it out. As well I think that nymphs can be fished more efectively on a spinning rod in many instances. I still use a fly rod for all my trout fishing but the wife often outfishes me, once they start rising though the tables turn.

I've fished Chroni's for years with great success, I've never fished with a chroni on a spinning rig, but if you're fishing them correctly on a floating line and strike indicator, it will hang properly and look very natural. It comes back to the old story, if you think you're fishing a Chironomid slow enough, slow down.

Cal
07-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I dunno am I the only one that finds I get less bites on a wire worm or fly when it is hanging verticaly rather than horizontaly like every other critter in the pond? You would never hang a minnow by its tail under a tip up because it just doesnt look natural. If youve figured out some way to cast a fly line without straightening out your fly so that it hangs verticaly at rest than my hat go's off to you. I cant however and therefore my wife does better with chronys than I do, just adjust the fly in the knot so that it hangs properly and it will stay that way with no retrieve at all untill a fish hits it... Just to be redundant.

QBC
07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Chroni's do hang vertically in the water for the most part. Especially when they are just out of the mud and are starting their rise, hence why you fish them within 6 inches of the bottom. In a wind, which seems to be the norm here, you get a "chronomid chop" that makes the little bug rise and fall like they do until they make their final push to the surface.

Cal
07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I stand corrected, I'll have to come up with a new theory

bruce44
07-07-2009, 04:36 AM
yeah ill try the fly because the lures keep getting weeds on them. Remember im shore fishing. So i hope the chironomids work in water that shallow and how far should the fly be from the bobber and should i just used the typical round bobber

Cal
07-07-2009, 06:57 AM
I dont recomend ever using a typical round bobber if you can help it. I like to use a SMALL slip bobber. Like QBC said, you want to fish them just off the bottom so depending on the depth you may have to use a slip bobber. Use one just big enough to support your fly and your splitshot and make sure you add enough weight that the bobber is barely floating. The most comon mistake people make is using too big of a bobber with not enough weight.

QBC
07-07-2009, 07:40 AM
If you use chroni's that are weighted or bead head chroni's, you shouldn't have to put any split shot anywhere near the actual fly. If you need some weight for casting, put them a good 24+ inches away. I tie my chroni's quite heavy using a bead head and even a few wraps of lead in the "gill" area of the fly before I start to tie on the materials.

Cal
07-07-2009, 10:14 AM
You can cast those with spinning gear? The weight is as much to counter for the boyancy of the bobber as to aid in casting.

QBC
07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't think you could cast these with spinning gear under a normal bobber. One of those weighted bobbers though would probably work.

Under a strike indicator on a dry line, you definitely don't need any further weight. I use fairly small strike indicators anyway.

saskfly
07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
maybe this will help,

Swan generally fishes the best in early spring (just after or before turnover). The group I know that fish it on a regular basis say there is basically a ten day window where the trout/conditions/bugs are just right. I can attest to this as three days last spring were probably the best I have ever had in all four western provinces. I have fished many trout lakes and Swan is tops for fish size and numbers and no crowds. On average we were landing between 30-40 fish a day with none under three pounds.

Best method was fishing chironomids and bloodworms under a strike indicator. The key was not moving around a bunch and just intercepting cruising trout. We also used other patterns under an indicator but I have been sworn to secrecy.

As earlier mentioned the lake fishes well again in the fall (Sept-Oct), especially when the water boatmen begin their mating flights. The summer I have heard isn't as good as the algae blooms and water warms up. I usually don't fish lakes likethis as the trout aren't in the best shape and most die after fighting them. Unless your keeping them then who cares.

Talked to the guys this spring and they said that the trout are even bigger as the aerators were turned on last summer and oxygen levels were high enough to deter fish kill. Here are some pics from spring 08'.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/saskfly01/005.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/saskfly01/004.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/saskfly01/003.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/saskfly01/002.jpg

Sundancefisher
07-07-2009, 12:56 PM

pencil bobbers are way better for trout then other traditional bobbers. Less resistance when a trout takes the fly. Just match the size to the lure/fly weight.

fishman
07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=saskfly;346274]maybe this will help,

Swan generally fishes the best in early spring (just after or before turnover). The group I know that fish it on a regular basis say there is basically a ten day window where the trout/conditions/bugs are just right.

Well i have fished Swan Lake for many years since the eighty's when it had brookies in it and yes it has a window but it isn't 10 days it is more like 21 days....after that you still catch lots of fish and some big ones but not like the 21 days were you never go a whole cigarette with out catching a fish and that time of the year is when to learn how to fish chromies............no matter how we look at it this lake is one of a kind and many fisherman have left with a smile on there face.................cheers

bruce44
07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=saskfly;346274]maybe this will help,

Swan generally fishes the best in early spring (just after or before turnover). The group I know that fish it on a regular basis say there is basically a ten day window where the trout/conditions/bugs are just right.

Well i have fished Swan Lake for many years since the eighty's when it had brookies in it and yes it has a window but it isn't 10 days it is more like 21 days....after that you still catch lots of fish and some big ones but not like the 21 days were you never go a whole cigarette with out catching a fish and that time of the year is when to learn how to fish chromies............no matter how we look at it this lake is one of a kind and many fisherman have left with a smile on there face.................cheers

can you tell when those days are please

209x50
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
When I was a kid fishing from shore we used clear casting bubbles. Fling them out with a fly 18" behind and reel them back in slowly. Back then we didn't know what bugs were called and neither did the tackle store, the fish bit on Royal Coachmen and Black Gnats! LOL
The easiest way to catch the biggest fish in Swan or Spring is by trolling leech/damsel fly/ Doc Spratley, patterns on sinking fly lines. Work the edge of the drop just outside the weeds and hold on.

fishman
07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
They are diffrent every year it is all dependent on when the ice goes out and water temperature plus air temperature usually i like 2 weeks after the ice goes out or even a little longer depending on the year as this year was later then last year

fishman
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
The easiest way to catch the biggest fish in Swan or Spring is by trolling leech/damsel fly/ Doc Spratley, patterns on sinking fly lines. Work the edge of the drop just outside the weeds and hold on.

The first thing that hatchs in Swan lake is chromnoids and is the best time to fish chromies, also spot tail shinners are abundant and they feed heavy on them also backswimmers are active and also the dragons are heading to shallow water before they hatch....fish chromies on floating line with strike indicator and u will be very happy.......also minnow patterns on full sink line casting into the shallows or a dragon pattern and leachs..........by the first of june the dragons have hatched and the shallow water has warmed up and usually the spawning fish have moved into a little deeper water.....now they feed on minnows, caddis nymps, chromies and leachs...........fish a leach early in the am with dark colors and in brighter conditions add a little flashaboo.........the shrimp patterns come into play some what mostly around first of june to 3 week of june........now next thing is travelling sedge hatch usually around 3 week of june.................i have given u a very good bases of the lake and it doesn't mean u are going to catch fish i have just given u what is happening now u have to figure where in the lake, when as far as the part of the day and also how to fish it not just drag a fly around alot more it to then that................good fishin

209x50
07-07-2009, 09:51 PM
You come across as more than a little arrogant, but then that could be me just misinterpreting words like also how to fish it not just drag a fly around alot more it to then that
If you think that is all there is too trolling then you might want to think about your own words.
I always found that fishing by the calendar and not by the fish was a good way to be made a fool of. Big fish will always take a big easy meal when it presents itself and I've had just as spectacular days trolling with half the lake covered in ice as I have in June. If you don't like my advice that is alright I was just offering my knowledge on the lake. There are many ways to catch a fish and several ways work just as well as the flyrod.

fishman
07-07-2009, 11:10 PM
You come across as more than a little arrogant, but then that could be me just misinterpreting words like
If you think that is all there is too trolling then you might want to think about your own words.
I always found that fishing by the calendar and not by the fish was a good way to be made a fool of. Big fish will always take a big easy meal when it presents itself and I've had just as spectacular days trolling with half the lake covered in ice as I have in June. If you don't like my advice that is alright I was just offering my knowledge on the lake. There are many ways to catch a fish and several ways work just as well as the flyrod.

One thing about words is you can interrped them any way you want to, as i have passed on to many my knowledge with nothing but good intentions....if you really read my post i am giving out important information, it is called sharing, otherwise i would kept to myself but on the other hand if you spoon feed people they will never learn for them self and one thing about fishing is to be a good fisherman is when the pieces of the puzzle come together from learning from knowledge you have gathered and what you have put together yourself it is all worth it.....happy fishing

fishman
07-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I have to retrack my opinions if i offended anybody i am sorry as that was not my sole purpose as i thought this forum was somewhat a education forum, sometimes we get our hair up if somebody attacks our character, as in all my time in this forum i have not tried to attack anyone but give them some help in something we all have in common fishing

TUFFBUFF
07-08-2009, 01:41 AM
fishman - you write whatever you want, that's a hell of a lot of usefull info especially if your flyrodding

bruce44
07-08-2009, 05:23 AM
i dont have a fly rod and i dont intend on buying one. I have a bad shoulder so continous movement will hurt. I just want to know what these people are using im talking about the spin casters because i see them land like 7 fish when i only landed 3 that day

QBC
07-08-2009, 07:24 AM
i dont have a fly rod and i dont intend on buying one. I have a bad shoulder so continous movement will hurt. I just want to know what these people are using im talking about the spin casters because i see them land like 7 fish when i only landed 3 that day

That's unfortunate Bruce, you seem to get great enjoyment from our sport and fly fishing is just another way to enjoy it. For me, it's my favorite way.

If I were you, go down to your local shop that sells fly's and pick up a few Doc Spratly's in black, red and green and give them a shot. Can't seem to go wrong with a good old Doc..a few Wooly Buggars in olive and black wouldn't hurt either......happy hunting! (If you're in or around GP, let me know, I'll tie you up a few).

TuffBuff, you didn't just call fly fishing "Flyrodding" did you? You gonna be haunted by all the souls of the dead fly fishers till the end of time...:tongue2:.....:lol:

gpguy7
07-08-2009, 11:43 AM
kwikfish and flatfish on an ultra light rod, mepps and panther martins were hammering fish out at swan on spinning rods last week. also acme kamloopers are also a trout killer at swan.

bruce44
07-08-2009, 04:12 PM
That's unfortunate Bruce, you seem to get great enjoyment from our sport and fly fishing is just another way to enjoy it. For me, it's my favorite way.

If I were you, go down to your local shop that sells fly's and pick up a few Doc Spratly's in black, red and green and give them a shot. Can't seem to go wrong with a good old Doc..a few Wooly Buggars in olive and black wouldn't hurt either......happy hunting! (If you're in or around GP, let me know, I'll tie you up a few).

TuffBuff, you didn't just call fly fishing "Flyrodding" did you? You gonna be haunted by all the souls of the dead fly fishers till the end of time...:tongue2:.....:lol:

that would be awesome i actually live in grande prairie right behind the superstore. yeah i love fishing its just i have a bad shoulder from a wrestling injury in highschool. Sucks cause im only 20 and i cant do prolonged repetetive movement with my shoulder. Oh well maybe one day ill learn to use my left arm lol

TUFFBUFF
07-08-2009, 05:02 PM
TuffBuff, you didn't just call fly fishing "Flyrodding" did you? You gonna be haunted by all the souls of the dead fly fishers till the end of time........

yeah - kind of like spin casting but different! same principal though, maybe I'll start a new trend. :cool:

Cal
07-08-2009, 06:04 PM
QBC I bet I could fish those little flys of yours on regular spinning gear. On a 4 lb test leader with two or three split shot 18 inches up, under a slip bobber just barely big enough to keep the whole mess floating the trout would not be able to tell the difference between my fly and yours.

QBC
07-08-2009, 09:49 PM
QBC I bet I could fish those little flys of yours on regular spinning gear. On a 4 lb test leader with two or three split shot 18 inches up, under a slip bobber just barely big enough to keep the whole mess floating the trout would not be able to tell the difference between my fly and yours.

The only issue would be the split shot. If the lake was calm, you probably could fish them and make them look very much like my offering. If it was a wee bit windy and there was a chronomid chop on the water, the split shot would tend to make the fly have a jerky movement. Your bobber would pull the splits up and when it fell, they would drop very quickly. Mine would get pulled up but tend to drift back down and probably wouldn't get all the way back down before it was pulled up again, but this time a very short distance and and not so abrupt. Hard to say though, but I'd try and get rid of the splits if possible.

I would tend to think that if you used one of those weighted bobbers and no split shot, it would act more natural. Just a thought.

Cal
07-09-2009, 07:10 AM
the spitshot would only be an issue if the waves were a foot and a half, in which case you could simply move further away from the fly. A weighted bobber or a casting bubble would work well too, like you said. I have a few weighted bobbers for pike and I think they still float to high, enough can not be said about the need for that bobber to go under as easily as possible.

Sporty
07-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey all, new to fishing and I plan to partake in the Alberta fishing weekend coming up. I've been reading through this thread and was thinking of heading to Swan Lake. Since I don't really get the opportunity to fish to often I just have a basic rod and reel and very little in the way of tackle. I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to break down the posts in this thread for me in "fishing for Dummie's" terms that I'd understand and know what to buy for tackle :P Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time for any replies :)

bruce44
07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Hey all, new to fishing and I plan to partake in the Alberta fishing weekend coming up. I've been reading through this thread and was thinking of heading to Swan Lake. Since I don't really get the opportunity to fish to often I just have a basic rod and reel and very little in the way of tackle. I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to break down the posts in this thread for me in "fishing for Dummie's" terms that I'd understand and know what to buy for tackle :P Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time for any replies :)

If i were you i would go into grande the nearest tackle store theres alot here in grande prairie and just ask what is good fish with at swan lake. They will flat out tell you what is good at this moment. Apparently chironomids dont work as well cause its too late this time of year he gave me a few lures to try. If i were you i would just by some power bait or a spoon that is about 2-3 inches all with bright colours like bright red. It just rained alot here so the water is colder and the larger fish are surfacing. I tried the lures the guy gave me and they work like a miracle. Best advice for you is type in the types of lures we mentioned into google and you will see a picture

QBC
07-11-2009, 07:13 AM
First, go buy and "Ugly Stick".
Second, go find an old red coffee can to put your worms in
Third, Rent and watch the movie "A River Runs Through It" paying particular attention to the scene where the guy shows up still drunk in the morning with the hooker "ready to fish"
After that, it's all good buddy....:innocent:

:lol:

johnk
07-11-2009, 07:24 AM
First, go buy and "Ugly Stick".
Second, go find an old red coffee can to put your worms in
Third, Rent and watch the movie "A River Runs Through It" paying particular attention to the scene where the guy shows up still drunk in the morning with the hooker "ready to fish"
After that, it's all good buddy....:innocent:

:lol:

"Buster wants to fish!"

Thanks for the memories, Grant. Seen that movie at least a hundred times.