PDA

View Full Version : Spooning or is it Fishing by Definition

gevarm guy
06-02-2019, 10:57 AM
If you have no hooks on a red and white spoon, just the spoon on a leader. Would you be "fishing" as per say, as you have no intention of actually catching one, in this case northern pike.

BuckCuller
06-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Pay for a license now or pay a fine later.
Why bother fishing at all? Skip rocks instead.

stob
06-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Nope not fishing... old guys in Florida do this all the time off piers or in a boat with their buddy's and a half sack of beer. They have a great time and no fuss with bait or fish, just camaraderie ... some even go to the local fish monger and buy one on the way home every now and then to keep the charade up with the Mrs

S_Mooj
06-02-2019, 11:31 AM
id probably contact fish and wild life for this one.

Weedy1
06-02-2019, 12:28 PM
When the pike clamps down on the spoon and refuses to let go I think you are now fishing.

Twisted Canuck
06-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Spooning a fish....hmmmmm......sounds cold and a bit slimy. :sHa_shakeshout:

Just pay for a license, and then there is no issue.

catnthehat
06-02-2019, 01:21 PM
If you have no hooks on a red and white spoon, just the spoon on a leader. Would you be "fishing" as per say, as you have no intention of actually catching one, in this case northern pike.

I have landed pike with a #4 Len Thompson clamped sideways in their yap as well as fishing with a piece of frayed Samson braid rope - it gets tangled in their teeth .
Personally I would not do it unless I had a licence , more often than not those in law enforcement do not take kindly to those trying to “game the rules “ ......
Cat

Mr Flyguy
06-02-2019, 09:23 PM
Fishing or spooning...wow, what to do?

Dewey Cox
06-02-2019, 09:46 PM
You are using an awful lot of fishing tackle to not be fishing.
Maybe you're not fishing, but the argument could be made that you're harassing wildlife.
If you want to cast a hookless spoon, and not buy a fishing license, probably best to do it in a body of water without fish.