PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a place to fish next wknd - orig plan was slave lake

sunnyvalesmostwanted
06-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Hi there,

We were planning on heading up to slave lake next weekend for some fishing but with the fires I imagine that it will be pretty smoky up there and possibly even a chance of evacuation depending on how the fire spreads this week.

Is there anywhere else within a cpl hours of Edmonton that we could go fishing for walleye (good fishing lake) and keep a few?

Thanks in advance.

Red Bullets
06-02-2019, 11:07 PM
Cold lake might be a good choice. Good variety of fish and you can keep a few. 3.5 hours. Don't know how the forest fire smoke is around there though.

dustinjoels
06-03-2019, 08:29 AM
You might be able to catch a keeper at south buck

scesfiremedic
06-03-2019, 08:39 AM
Moose Lake by Bonnyville?

scesfiremedic
06-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Hello all, well what a weekend of walleye fishing at Sylvan Lake. We were at RR 21 in 15 feet of water anchored and casting a light green jig head with a minnow or worm. The action was non-stop, cast after cast. We caught 25+ in three hours and lost at least that amount, darn bait stealers hahahaha. Had a big pike take a swing at one of the walleye on our line but he didn't stick around.

The guy fishing beside us caught 45 walleye before he left as he counted aloud every time he caught one, lol.

The bite is on, get out there folks!!!

Goose :sHa_shakeshout:

Saw this in another post

Bushleague
06-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Smoke has not been that bad at Slave, we had a couple bad days but that was it. Fires are burning but being close to the source the smoke is in a concentrated plume, and for the most part the wind has been blowing it elsewhere. From what I hear its actually been more consistently bad further away from the actual fires once the smoke has spread out. That said, those couple times when the wind was wrong visibility was a couple hundred yards and your throat was feeling it. Too there are other safety concerns, it was fairly hazy on Saturday and I was out by Dog Island, all the sudden the wind kicked up and we had thunder storm right over top of us that we couldn't see moving in.

Personally however, if you want to fish Slave I would recommend that you just go ahead and do it, chances are it wont be worse than anywhere else. Make sure you have a compass and some drinking water on board, just in case.

dustinjoels
06-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Saw this in another post

Sylvan is steady for walleye. OP was looking for somewhere that he could keep a few though. Sylvan is zero retention. As is most of the province lol

Schlep
06-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Look for lakes with undersubscribed walleye tags on Alberta Relm. Pick a lake that interests you, buy the tags, and enjoy! We did that this past weekend and had a blast!!