PDA

View Full Version : fishing in Monkman or Kakwa parks (BC/AB)

free_username
06-04-2019, 12:41 AM
Hi,

anyone here who could share some experience in fishing the Murray river in the Monkman Provincial Park, BC (SW Grande Prarie, AB) or between Kakwa Falls and Lake Kakwa or Jarvis Lake, in Kakwa Provincial and Wildland Parks (Border of BC/AB, SE of Monkman)?

I'm from Germany and plan to spend two weeks around hiking there (yet unsure where exactly) beginning of September. Thus, with minimal equipment, a trout/pike/walleye may save my life (in extreme cases). I can go for fly rod or spinning.

Any input is highly appreciated, many thanks in advance & kind regards
Chris
(also here http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=364362)

dave99
06-04-2019, 02:28 PM
I have no first hand knowledge of those lakes, but can offer a bit of insight to that area:

Bears and other wildlife: BC Parks has a good online resource. Have a read through and follow their guidelines. They are very thorough follow sound logical principles. Be prepared, but do not be paranoid. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/misc/bears/

Fishing and Hiking: follow applicable regulations. If fishing from shore, spin casting tends to be more successful, as the back cast of fly fishing may be limited due to vegetation. Don’t count on fishing being a life saver (maybe this was said tongue-in-cheek?)- you can probably go more than a week without any food and still survive as long as exposure and thirst are not factors. Bring “Mountainhouse” type dehydrated meals to cut down weight, a stove to warm them up, and water purification tabs or filters to avoid giardia.

Statistically speaking, cold water river crossings, falls and injuries, and exposure are more likely to cause you problems than animals, no matter how scary looking they may be. Prepare yourself and bring a satellite phone or device.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

free_username
06-05-2019, 02:43 PM
Hi Dave,

thanks for your kind reply. Indeed, the hiking/animal topics I got covered in the other thread already to some extend (beyond the official sources).
Fishing and Hiking: follow applicable regulations. If fishing from shore, spin casting tends to be more successful, as the back cast of fly fishing may be limited due to vegetation. Don’t count on fishing being a life saver (maybe this was said tongue-in-cheek?)- you can probably go more than a week without any food and still survive as long as exposure and thirst are not factors. ...
I take the hint on the back casting as a very, very valuable point. Probably saved me from a lot of frustration.

I will have filter and tablets with me, and also some food, but really a fish every once in while would be nice, if not helpful. So, first of all I hoped for some comments to help me decide which waters to go for. At least, I take I may be the only guy fishing there ;-)
Cheers,
Chris

IAMhunt
06-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Be sure take some pain pills and bandages,,

One the most Grizzly populated ares in both BC and Alberta

Best bet is , hike with someone you can run much faster than,,

free_username
06-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Best bet is , hike with someone you can run much faster than,,
Ha! If this is your tactics, be my guest. I'll stand and you run and there's a better chance it would go after you. :sHa_sarcasticlol: