PDA

View Full Version : picklejar lakes

Esox
06-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Which of the lakes is the best to fish? I believe there is just cutties in them/it? Wife and I are going to hike up to it for the first time once the highway gates open.

Red Bullets
06-06-2019, 09:40 PM
According to comments on Trailpeak.com the first lake has good fishing for native cutts.

https://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?con=trail&val=2538

goldscud
06-06-2019, 10:16 PM
3rd lake used to have lots of small ones too.

Heads up for grizzlies in the area

Pixel Shooter
06-07-2019, 04:15 PM
yep 3rd lake. nice clear lake, great lake to learn to flyfish, cant go wrong lol

dalewig
06-07-2019, 04:22 PM
If you enjoy Picklejar and looking for another outing, look up Carnarvon and Lake of the Horns which are in the same area. Though I've never fished them, hiked/hunted in the area and very beautiful country, though definetly a bit of a journey back to the either of the lakes. Good luck!

Esox
06-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Im assuming (again never been in there) that when you say the "third" lake, it means the third one you come up to as you hike up?

thedonald
06-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Which of the lakes is the best to fish? I believe there is just cutties in them/it? Wife and I are going to hike up to it for the first time once the highway gates open.

The lakes open for fishing on July 1st.

MrPants
06-08-2019, 12:40 PM
The first lake you come to will have the biggest fish (no bigger than 13” in my experience). You will catch less overall in that lake but it’s nice to get the size, I recommend using a #14-16 royal wulff fly. The third lake you hike to like others have said had a ton of fish but they usually max out at 8”-10 for the biggest with the average being 6-8”.

The lakes are numbers differently then how you hike in. Had a funny conversation with a F&W officer hiking out, asked me how the fishing was and said we caught probably 200 between the 2 of us that day at the 3rd lake, he gave me a really weird look and said “ the 3rd lake?” and I said “ ya the 3rd one”, he said have a nice day after checking our licenses and we were on our way. Later that night I decided to look into which lake was which to sort out his confusion. The lakes are numbered as #1 being the furthest lake in but technically the first lake in the formation, so the first lake you come to is #4. so I had said I caught 200 fish in lake #3, which is the smallest lake and might be 2 feet deep at the most, usually has animal tracks visible in the mud. So I had a good laugh at me telling the CO that.

McLeod
06-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Its Catch and release....

angler1
06-10-2019, 10:13 PM
3rd lake used to have lots of small ones too.

Heads up for grizzlies in the areaX 2 on the grizzlies. Had a very close encounter with mama and 2 babies in the alders on the hike in.She was huffing and popping. We decided on another lake that day.

FishyMcFisherson
06-28-2019, 02:24 PM
I have been planning to go up to these lakes for a while and had a few questions.

1. How difficult is the hike? I've done some reading on the topic but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. I am planning to take my kids which is the reason for the question. Some of the reading I've done on the hike says the trail is busy. Is that really the case?

2. As mentioned in the thread there are Grizzlies in the area. Is this a significant risk? I know that is a tough question to answer as it is a bit subjective.

3. Is the fishing worth heading up there for? People online seem to imply it is "easy". I understand that the fish are small and it is all catch and release which is not a concern. I just want to increase the chances of the kids catching something.

Thanks

slough shark
06-28-2019, 07:55 PM
I have been planning to go up to these lakes for a while and had a few questions.

1. How difficult is the hike? I've done some reading on the topic but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. I am planning to take my kids which is the reason for the question. Some of the reading I've done on the hike says the trail is busy. Is that really the case?

2. As mentioned in the thread there are Grizzlies in the area. Is this a significant risk? I know that is a tough question to answer as it is a bit subjective.

3. Is the fishing worth heading up there for? People online seem to imply it is "easy". I understand that the fish are small and it is all catch and release which is not a concern. I just want to increase the chances of the kids catching something.

Thanks

Trail isn’t too crazy busy since the flood, parking lot was still badly damaged last time I was there. Grizzlies are thick most places in k country, I had a friend killed there 4 years ago by a griz while sheep hunting so breaking all beat safety rules, bear is still around. Fishing is good in my experience, fish don’t get too big as previously mentioned. Hike isn’t that bad, maybe 4-5 k each way I believe

slamilton
06-30-2019, 06:38 AM
Ive been a couple times and the fishing was great. Caught them on almost anything, float and fly would be fun for kids. It is not a very far hike but there is a short, very steep section that is difficult depending on your condition.

It was very busy in my experience but there is a lot of room up there to get away from the others. We didnt see any bears but obviously they are around so be smart.

Well worth it for the scenery alone.