PDA

View Full Version : Fishing From Shore- Rock Lake

Bucky
07-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I know there has been a few threads on Rock Lake lately but haven't been able to find out if it is possibly to fly fish from shore with any success. Is there a relatively steep drop off close to shore. Looking to try for a few Lakers and Bulls on fly. Any suggestions on fly selection would be great.

Kevin C.
07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
If you dont have luck at Rock lake the WildHay is right there with lots of opportunity to fly fish for bulls.

mikeym
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
for bull trout either a wolly bugger or clauser minnow are great lures. the bigger the better. actually any large ugly streamer are good choices for bulls.
if you are getting a lot of tugs but no hookups on the bugger, trim the tail down and your hookups will go up.

see attached depth chart. there is a steep drop off on the left hand side of lake close to the campground.

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/library/view_section.php?lake=42&section=2&type=Fig

good luck
Mike

troutpirate
07-03-2009, 02:34 PM
flyfishing
shore
rock lake
bull trout

those words dont really belong in the same question. i dont even know where to begin telling you whats wrong with that...................

anyone having any success flyfishing rock lake from shore would be;
-familiar with the lake or has fished it from the boat
-catching 99.9% lake trout
-fishing it right before it closes

winged1
07-03-2009, 09:51 PM
In other words, Rock Lake is not shoreline friendly, especially if your flogging flyline.

Junglejake
07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I was out to Rock Lake today trolling a fly...Got nothin,not even a bite! Whats the best way to fish Rock Lake?

If trolling is any good...Whats the best fly to use? And where to troll? Down the south side?

Cal
07-13-2009, 08:13 AM
I think they were talking about the Wildhay Trout Pirate. If they were talking about the lake then you are correct, they were gravely mislead. Havnt fished rock lake alot but you would definatly be better off fishing the Wildhay or some of the other rivers in the area if you have no boat.

seahawkfisher
07-13-2009, 08:30 AM
i think it would be tough to troll a fly there, unless you were hooking it up to a downrigger. That being said, I know a guy who fished it when there was one crazy hatch going on there that pulled the lakers up to the surface where he was catching them on drys. I fish it using poor man's downriggers (dipsys and deep 6's)
cheers

FisherPotch
07-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I was at rock lake on Monday and tuesday. It was pouring on Monday but I got out with the float tube and the fly rod for a few hours on tuesday morning. Photo's to come, I landed three lakers and one whopper pike. 40incher on my 6wt fly rod with 6lb vanish for tippet. Barely lip hooked right near the inlet from my float tube. Guess what I was doing...........trolling a fly!!!!

I had never caught a laker or a pike on the fly b4. The pike is the biggest pike I have ever landed and it was the first one I ever had on the fly rod. She was litteraly dragging me around in my float tube.

Beautiful lake. If you want bulls or rockies go to the wild hay. Things were getting purdy blown out when I was there due to all the rain tho.

I'm going to get a replica of the pike done up. 40 inch length 15 in girth had to be nearing the 20 pound mark. Very red fins and tail will make for a unique replica. I'm guessing that the thing was ancient cuz they grow so slow in there.

And yes I released the pike. Sorry for the tease I'll get up the pics asap.

Trolling a fly caught 2 lakers and the pike. Also had two lakers come unbuttoned while they were holding under my tube. I got busted off by the inlet but I think it was the pike that I landed that broke me off cause I retied and trolled right past the same water. Hooked up right at the confluence (chocolate milk to crystal clear water from all the rain) and was fortunate enough to lip hook her.

Love Rock lake!!!! When I was there on tuesday morning the water was like a sheet of glass at 5am, very beautiful. Fish were rising!! and not too far from shore. I was having my best luck stopping and going dragging a stimi with a chirony about 18 inches below. No takers on the chiron tho.

Tightlines.

Junglejake
07-13-2009, 07:17 PM
What were you trolling? I got a Clauser minnow and a Woolly Bugger today. Think they'll work? Also got a #1 5 of dimonds and a Dare Devil.

seahawkfisher
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
that's really cool to hear that the trout are still shalow.
congrats on the big pike; even the smaller pike in that lake fight like monsters :)

I'm headin out that way on the 24th; can't wait
cheers and thanks for the update FP; lookin forward to your pics

FisherPotch
07-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm on nights this weekend and I'll try to get a new thread with photo's from my trip on the FTR. I was surprized how close to shore the lakers were, I thought they would be much deeper by now. But I was grining ear to ear at 5 am when I could here them rising and the ripples were surprixingly close to shore.

If your planning of fishing from shore hopefully your beter at casting than me lol.....hence why I was trolling the fly's. I covered from the east boat launch all the way to the inlet and back in my float tube and found that the water just deep enough that I couldnt see bottom (I'm guessing around 15 ft) seemingly was the best depth to troll. I was stoping and starting. They were smashing the fly's too, peeling drag as the took it. I was very fortunate nevre seen the lake that calm b4. Also I'm sure the full moon helped. Tight lines.