PDA

View Full Version : Moose Antlers (decoy)

BigRackLover
06-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Has anyone ever made a wearable moose decoy (2 guys - one behind the other for challenging bulls). Antlers included. Looking for ideas.

IronNoggin
06-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Please ensure you have someone film this great adventure!
I REALLY Want to see a couple Gentz in a moose outfit tangle with a live one!!!

https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ROFLMAO.gif

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog

JD848
06-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Yes it's been done ,but the front guy got shot.

stob
06-16-2019, 05:27 PM
Oh! This is gonna be good. Go the Montana's and tell them it is your birthday and they will put moose antlers on you, and once they have finished singing 2u then you run fast lika hell out a there and you now have the start of your outfit

Bigwoodsman
06-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Yes it's been done ,but the front guy got shot.

And what happened to the guy in the rear was even worse!

BW

calgarychef
06-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Use some coreplast etc. To make horns that you can carry, tape to your bow etc.
They work but it’s silly to wear them.

BigRackLover
06-17-2019, 01:05 AM
So far I have a hockey helmet and 30" 1/12" PVC black pipe ziptied across the top. I plan to make the frame out of that. Coreplast should be good for the detail (points, paddles, fronts) all wrapped in something. That'll be light enough to wear and work.

I want to have both my hands free which is why I don't want to hold anything.

I want it to be easily removed in case we get a bull really excited.

It's the same concept as decoying antelope.

beaver hunter
06-17-2019, 02:40 AM
Just buy the ultimate predator decoy, it mounts right to your bow or you can hold it. I called a bull right across an open canola field last year, buddy stood behind me, arrowed it at 30 yards. In the freezer! north point outfitters is the Canadian distributor, they also have the antlers that you can attach.

calgarychef
06-17-2019, 07:41 AM
So far I have a hockey helmet and 30" 1/12" PVC black pipe ziptied across the top. I plan to make the frame out of that. Coreplast should be good for the detail (points, paddles, fronts) all wrapped in something. That'll be light enough to wear and work.

I want to have both my hands free which is why I don't want to hold anything.

I want it to be easily removed in case we get a bull really excited.

It's the same concept as decoying antelope.

It’s not the same as decoying antelope at all. Picture this....walking across a beautiful piece of prairie dressed to kill as an antelope. Or fighting your way through the Bush with a 30” (+1/2”!) stick on your head trying to look like a moose....although if you’re hunting mooses on the prairie it might work except you’ll look like a dork and every rancher for miles will come out and laugh at you:)

Stinky Buffalo
06-17-2019, 08:47 AM
This is what I use: Rack Man Moose Paddle (https://www.hommepanache.ca/products/palette-de-bois). If you watch his videos you can see how effective these can be - he often uses one or two during his stalks.

Be super cautious if you are using decoys. I even avoid wearing black during hunting season. I just don't want to be mistaken for a moose - by another moose, or another hunter.

I still remember hunting with my father-in-law, and I was wearing my new black coat. We stopped for a rest on a cutline, and then I see that he was looking past me, back in the direction we had just come from. He casually stated, "You know, if that bull moose decides to have his way with you, you're on your own." I turned around, and noticed a nice bull, looking longingly at me.

I started buying camo after that! :)

jcrayford
06-17-2019, 12:46 PM
This is what I use: Rack Man Moose Paddle (https://www.hommepanache.ca/products/palette-de-bois). If you watch his videos you can see how effective these can be - he often uses one or two during his stalks.

Be super cautious if you are using decoys. I even avoid wearing black during hunting season. I just don't want to be mistaken for a moose - by another moose, or another hunter.

I still remember hunting with my father-in-law, and I was wearing my new black coat. We stopped for a rest on a cutline, and then I see that he was looking past me, back in the direction we had just come from. He casually stated, "You know, if that bull moose decides to have his way with you, you're on your own." I turned around, and noticed a nice bull, looking longingly at me.

I started buying camo after that! :)

I used something similar; just cut it out of 1/8" plywood myself with a jigsaw.

But never got the chance to use it that year as I didn't get out hunting for Bulls that much. But really light weight and easy to throw in a backpack to keep concealed from other hunters until the moment you need it. Remember, Moose don't have the greatest of eye sight, so you need to close the distance before holding it up.

J.

Stinky Buffalo
06-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Yup, excellent points, jcrayford.

(Mine is home-built as well...) :)

GMX
06-17-2019, 03:31 PM
I was out elk hunting with a couple of guys a few years back the elk were scarce so we started putting on the miles scouting. We walked up over a little hill and surprised a large cow moose standing in the middle of the cut line. I started grunting to see if a bull was around being October 2nd I figured there would be a good chance. Two minutes later this monster sticks his head out of the bush line thinking it would be a good idea to have a better look at this beast I told the boys watch this. He was obviously in full rut and previous experience calling moose I was sure I could rev him up a little more and give the guys a show on moose behaviour ( mistake #1). I started grunting right after he did and walked slowly with my rifle over my head and swaying side to side (mistake #2). He came out on a string about a hundred yards and closing. When he got 30 yards away he started raking a willow bush so I bent over and did the same with the stock still above my head (BIG mistake #3). Well he dropped his head pretty sure that 50”+ bull was now 80”+ as he almost run me over I’d dropped my gun and dove behind a couple of big spruce trees that luckily were close enough to do so. Lucky for me he turned the other way and when the same direction the cow had gone.

Guess what I’m saying is be carful for what your asking for one might get it.

BigRackLover
06-17-2019, 03:36 PM
It’s not the same as decoying antelope at all. Picture this....walking across a beautiful piece of prairie dressed to kill as an antelope. Or fighting your way through the Bush with a 30” (+1/2”!) stick on your head trying to look like a moose....although if you’re hunting mooses on the prairie it might work except you’ll look like a dork and every rancher for miles will come out and laugh at you:)

Yup, bush would be tough. I'm on the prairies. I could care less what folks think of my costume.

BigRackLover
06-17-2019, 03:43 PM
I was thinking the same sort of thing last night, light plywood or coreplast attached to the frame.

I'm not a fan of the bow mounted decoys because of the wind drag, they look really good though.

Moo Snukkle
06-17-2019, 10:52 PM
The way you are describing how you are going to hunt moose, you almost can’t beat the old Shockey proven canoe paddle. Tape a thin piece of pvc below the paddle to form a “T”. Your 30” piece should do the trick. Zip tie a black fleece blanket over the T and let it drape down 6 ft. Easy to carry, walk behind and throw aside. A moose won’t care how many paddles it’s challenger has. The black figure is the key here. It will see you, hear you (don’t over call), and as long as you play the wind right you have dramatically increased the odds of getting within bow range.
Best of luck with your hunt.

calgarychef
06-17-2019, 11:27 PM
A large shoulder blade looks more like an angler than anything, plus when you rake it on a bush it sounds realistic.

BigRackLover
06-18-2019, 04:38 PM
A large shoulder blade looks more like an angler than anything, plus when you rake it on a bush it sounds realistic.

yup, got a few of those. They work great for raking, very realistic. I forgot about the raking, I'll have to think about it I want that or not.

Red Bullets
06-19-2019, 12:48 AM
Maybe not a good idea to wear a moose suit in predator country because you guys would look like one sick moose and easy target. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Would be crazy like these guys in the zebra suit.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rwqyt

Red Bullets
06-19-2019, 12:58 AM
Back in the day FN wolf hunters and american wolfers would take a buffalo skin and freeze it to look like a buffalo standing in deep snow. The hunter would sit inside the buffalo hide blind and shoot wolves that would come to attack the buffalo blind. Something like this might be able to be done with a moose hide in the right place and lots of patience. After moose season closes so there is less chance of being shot at. Have a gun port in each end and side. Be a neat hunt shooting wolves out the arse end of a frozen moose. :)

Mr. Twister
06-20-2019, 08:53 PM
tell Montanas its your birthday

BigRackLover
09-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Version #1:

http://i.imgur.com/msexVuf.jpg (https://imgur.com/msexVuf)
http://i.imgur.com/dnX2c7C.jpg (https://imgur.com/dnX2c7C)

CNP
09-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Version #1:

http://i.imgur.com/msexVuf.jpg (https://imgur.com/msexVuf)

I Marvel at your work. It needs a cape!

Talking Moose should be placing an order with you shortly...

Lefty-Canuck
09-23-2019, 08:31 PM
This is awesome buddy! Looks like a Ra-moose-don ceremonial gown ;)

LC

pikergolf
09-23-2019, 08:35 PM
This is awesome buddy! Looks like a Ra-moose-don ceremonial gown ;)

LC

Looks like an Isis dude gone bad. lol

walking buffalo
09-23-2019, 08:50 PM
Not sure if this is Cultural or Species appropriation....
Only flaw I see is the lack of a proper nose.

At least you're set for Halloween if Trudeau doesn't confiscate it for his own use.

1bowhunter12
09-23-2019, 09:29 PM
^^^^ Hahaha this thread is awesome

Lefty-Canuck
09-23-2019, 10:18 PM
You guys chuckle... what if it actually works? :)

LC

CNP
09-24-2019, 09:48 AM
You guys chuckle... what if it actually works? :)

LC

I have no doubt it would work. A third party video of the takedown would be awesome.

Dark Wing
09-24-2019, 11:48 AM
I'm guessing you haven't hunted moose in the calling season much . I was charged years back while making cow calls by a confused young bull , if I would have been wearing your moose suit I'm sure he wouldn't of held back at 30 yards.

IAMhunt
09-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Draped a freshly killed moose skin over a stump and some piled up logging debris in the early 1980s , About 200 yards from a very busy interprovincial highway. ( no shooting for 400 meters zone ) ,

A few days later a buddy and myself pulled it down and lay it upside down on the ground, we counted over 30 bullet holes in the moose hide,

There was only ONE bullet hole in the shoulder when we hung it there,

I would NOT Wear a moose decoy clothing anytime,,

Best left to the Dum and Dummer Twins :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Boundless_84
09-24-2019, 09:32 PM
No need to make your own! The work has already been done for you!

https://i.imgur.com/VoaoBCG.jpg

If you don't need the whole outfit, you can get just the hat!

https://i.imgur.com/bVmKOqa.jpg

And if you're looking for deer, well, here you go! Ha ha!

https://i.imgur.com/CbcYZ7F.jpg

Just take a look on Amazon, they have all sorts of treasures there - moose, deer, bear - even a squirrel and cow! You'll for sure be the most successful hunter in the woods. I just feel it will be true! :D

https://i.imgur.com/PDFsAZI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/funWBzQ.jpg

Savage Bacon
09-24-2019, 10:36 PM
Note to everyone with a moose tag.... don't shoot a moose wearing an orange vest!!

To the OP.... wear an orange vest!!

And if it works, I'll take one in XL

BigRackLover
10-18-2019, 10:39 PM
I tried a stalk on opening weekend (Sept 1st) when I spotted a couple decent bulls in a canola field. I had black fabric over top the brown antlers to simulate full velvet, but they wandered off the other way. I had seen them while driving and then parked the truck behind some cover and then came out wearing the decoy - probably not the stealthiest. Anyway, after overlooking my picture and scouting notes of live moose, I knew the wearable decoy needed a few adjustments.

I too noticed the lack of proper nose so that was the first piece I added. In addition to that, ears. Ears are very noticeable on any moose. I also lowered and hump and rump. The nose turned out great because it covered my face while stalking (just giving enough sight to see what's happening but avoiding eye contact and bright shiny face). The best part is that when I am presented with a shooting opportunity, the bowstring fits between the antler and nose perfectly with my head turned to the side. Version #2 was exactly what I was going for - a wearable decoy that I could shoot with.

I have hunted moose my entire life and have a lot of experience with closer encounters, cow calling moose and just moose hunting in general. I wanted to try something different for this hunt which is why I went overboard on the decoy. I definitely look like an ISIS dude with the nose tilted up. From my experience, moose never charge right away, they size each other up and posture before clashing antlers, so the plan is to get an arrow into a bull when he turns broadside in the posturing mode. I will be carrying an air-horn for safety as well in order to call the entire thing off. And the helmet comes off in no time to also help cancel the stalk. There are usually are warning signs before they charge like nostrils flaring and ears titled back and eyes wide open. Moose are generally slow-moving and I only plan to challenge P&Y bulls or the same size as my antlers, so young dumb ones won't be a problem.

https://i.imgur.com/Wy7D4V1l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NpQVqbkl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7azOeZbl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CP2LDgxl.jpg

brendan's dad
10-18-2019, 11:25 PM
Good thing you are doing that in the bow zone. Up north I put an orange vest on a moose head strapped to my quad so I don't get shot.

coyoteman
10-19-2019, 12:45 AM
Good thing you are doing that in the bow zone. Up north I put an orange vest on a moose head strapped to my quad so I don't get shot.
I hunted moose all over nfld for many years,and carried a light white bed sheet to wrap antlers,for safety reasons.When the moose pop 1st exploded,many would tie the moose head on the truck cab,to show off.This didnt last long-A hunting party slowly grinding out a very bad road with a rack on top,were fired upon, by a group of screech soppers high upon a hill-fortunately the iron sited lee enfields,were not effective,for the obvious reason--The show offsquickly put some distance from the truck until the volley stopped.To wear a moose decoy in nfld one would need a death wish-----

coyoteman
10-19-2019, 12:53 AM
Draped a freshly killed moose skin over a stump and some piled up logging debris in the early 1980s , About 200 yards from a very busy interprovincial highway. ( no shooting for 400 meters zone ) ,

A few days later a buddy and myself pulled it down and lay it upside down on the ground, we counted over 30 bullet holes in the moose hide,

There was only ONE bullet hole in the shoulder when we hung it there,

I would NOT Wear a moose decoy clothing anytime,,

Best left to the Dum and Dummer Twins :sHa_sarcasticlol: WL officers,down east from time to time use decoys,to catch road shooters.

Dean2
10-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Really funny thread.

You guys have more guts than Gainers! I don't like Moose meat near well enough to dress up like one in Bow or Rifle season. Also, there are lots of folks shooting Moose year round with a rifle. Glad you are having fun but if this is common I am absolutely amazed there haven't been a bunch of guys shot.

Lefty-Canuck
10-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Really funny thread.

You guys have more guts than Gainers! I don't like Moose meat near well enough to dress up like one in Bow or Rifle season. Also, there are lots of folks shooting Moose year round with a rifle. Glad you are having fun but if this is common I am absolutely amazed there haven't been a bunch of guys shot.

BRL is a buddy of mine and any hunter who would shoot that moose on a 10 yr draw needs their head examined :). Not to mention it only had front legs :)

LC

buckbrush
10-19-2019, 05:35 PM
Hope there isn't any keepers of the land out during bow season...

JD848
10-19-2019, 10:13 PM
Getting close to a moose that wants to come in is no big task, even if he is bit stubborn you can rattle, call, beat the brush with just a good dry stick.

To dress up like one in rifle season when guys are looking to kill one is very risky,if your on some fly in trip and you know your alone it would be funny, but still risky.

Big bulls sometimes make a racket coming in, but sometimes there right on top of you before you know it so ditching the costume maybe hard to do if he spots you first and being flung around in your moose suit by a 60 inch rack is not going to be the thrill you were counting on.Just keep the number for an airlift handy and I don't mean for the moose.

It's just meat so don't over think it.

trigger7mm
10-26-2019, 05:24 PM
And what happened to the guy in the rear was even worse!

BW

OMG! The whole family was busting a gut when I read them this one!

coyoteman
10-27-2019, 01:37 AM
WL officers,down east from time to time use decoys,to catch road shooters. I was deer hunting in area 414 a few years ago,and found a fair size bull moose about a 100m off the road,He had been shot,there was a dusting of snow,he dropped when he was hit.I reported it to the wildlife officers,They told me some one was roadside shooting animals and leaveing them to rot.I told a friend a week or two later,he asked if I could get the rack.I called the wildlife,they said they had caught some guys with the help of a decoy.

calgarychef
10-27-2019, 09:38 AM
I was deer hunting in area 414 a few years ago,and found a fair size bull moose about a 100m off the road,He had been shot,there was a dusting of snow,he dropped when he was hit.I reported it to the wildlife officers,They told me some one was roadside shooting animals and leaveing them to rot.I told a friend a week or two later,he asked if I could get the rack.I called the wildlife,they said they had caught some guys with the help of a decoy.

That’s great news! But bad news if you’re wearing a decoy

elk eater
11-06-2019, 10:52 PM
You should add a go pro so they can ID the killer moose that runs ya down. Not sure if this will end bad for the moose or you but I’m damn excited to find out !!!!

elk eater
11-06-2019, 10:55 PM
I’m thinking you lose the antlers add a tail to your forehead, paint your lips pink and part em pretty. The bulls will really come running then !!!!

303carbine
11-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Has anyone ever made a wearable moose decoy (2 guys - one behind the other for challenging bulls). Antlers included. Looking for ideas.

Sounds like a good opportunity to get some lead thrown your direction........:scared0018: