PDA

View Full Version : Anyone floating the Red Deer from Dickson lately?

camshaft
07-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Deciding between the bow or red deer for a float tomorrow. Was curious as to how the water levels and clarity are downstream of the dam.

Any help would be great!

Swede
07-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Did the dam to Innisfaill yesterday water clarity was awesome , got a few browns and a few pike, fairly slow day fishing. But a really nice peaceful float.

tjcartmell
07-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I paddled the section from #54 to SR592 last Thursday. The water level was quite low for this time of year. The pike were very cooperative but no sign of any Browns, Goldeye or Walleye. There was a pretty good hatch on mid day but there was very little surface activity. It is however a beautiful trip and the shuttle is very quick. Check out www.canadiankayakanglers.com for a full report and pictures.

Tim

Swede
07-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Drifted the Red Deer Sunday, the water clarity was excellent. Ended up fishing a black leech pattern with some success. Hooked into this beautiful Brown and an hour later lost a monster Brown.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t147/Myraynna/P1080412psrs-1.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t147/Myraynna/P1080419iz3rs.jpg

camshaft
07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
swede

Nice brown!! Did u launch right at the dam and take out at the bridge? Or do u do the full day float?

I'm hoping to hit the river possibly on friday.

MrDave
07-07-2009, 09:38 PM
swede

Nice brown!! Did u launch right at the dam and take out at the bridge? Or do u do the full day float?

I'm hoping to hit the river possibly on friday.

That trip from the dam to Innisfail bridge is a full day fishing trip if you stop often. We just had an inch of rain Monday, and it has hit both north and south of here, so expect the water to be dirty. The Medicine River area got lots of rain late last week and will be staining the water about now. But good luck anyways.

Swede
07-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Cam I floated from about 3 PM to 3 AM. I try to time my floats so am at the good spots at certain times of the day, sometimes it means floating for 4 hours in the pitch black.
Dont forget the other sections of the Red Deer are pretty fun to float too. Innisfaill to Penholde takes about 3 hours without stopping. Penholde to Red Deer takes about 7 to 9 hours depending on where you get out. The closer you drift to Red Deer the more people you will run into tubing and just floating so go on a weekday or a really cloudy rainy day is best.