PDA

View Full Version : Traverse Reservoir/ Lake Mcgregor / Little Bow Reservoir/ Badger Lake Fishing trip

John Deer
07-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Good Day,

We are planning a fishing trip trip to Little Bow Provincial park next week. And are hoping to fish a couple of the following areas:

1. Traverse Reservoir
2. Lake Mcgregor
3. Little Bow Reservoir
4. Badger Lake

Does anyone know how the fishing is at any of these??

For some trading information I have been fishing Crawling Valley for the last couple weeks catching 50 - 60 fish a day, Walleye and Jack Fish. Excellent if anyone would like to plan a weekend getaway.

Thanks so much :wave:

michelle
07-05-2009, 01:13 AM
I have only fished Traver's Reservoir but have talked to many about Badger and Mcgregor.

Travers's has pretty good fishing. Pulled 2 keeper walleye out of there 3 days ago and an 83 cm Pike. Not bad.

Sites depend on if you have a boat or not.

I have heard Mcgregor has been tough, Badger as well. Not reliable sources though.

Travers off the dock at Little Bow Prov. Park is quite good fishing, especially if you have kids. Just use a jig and minnow.

Let me know if you have a boat or not and I will try to give you more info.

Have a great time!

:wave:

Hooker
07-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Well John, it appears you have a boat or you wouldn't be looking at so many reservoirs.

Travers - One of the best boat launch facilities and campgrounds in southern Alberta. The Little Bow river bed just west of the docks is a good place to float and jig for Walleye. I've taken the odd Pike from that area as well. The weeds are starting to become a problem for trolling though. About 1/2 way to the McGregor feeder canal you will see a cliff face with cliff swallow nests on it. Off shore from this the water gets to the 40 foot range and if you have a depth finder you will see schools of Walleye laying at all depths. Watch for this all the way into the arm of the lake that takes you to the feeder canal. When you get to the feeder canal you can anchor infront of the canal or drift. Those are the three areas of the lake I have had any success.

McGregor - This IS a tough lake to fish. I have had good Walleye success fishing out from the cutback across from the boat launch at the campground and some success fishing out from the dam face. Pike seek to like hanging out there.

Badger - I fished this a few years back but because the boat launch is so bad I haven't been back. There are some great holes that the big pike hang out in on the SW side of lake. Watch out for the shallow bars on this lake as they all have prop eating rocks. I guess what I'm saying is if you don't have a depth finder get one before you go. You'll need it to find the bottom structure (and rocks).

During the week of July 6 - 11 you will be fishing under the influence of a full moon so you should have good fishing.

Have fun.

John Deer
07-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the Help guys..

Hooker how does Badger compare to Crawling Valley interms of shallow areas??
Everytime we get up in the Air and fly over Crawling my heart jumps looking at all of the rocks waiting just under the surface. You really have to know where you are, depth finder or not...... Thank god for movable the Trolling Motor!!!

I Have always heard of how good fishing was at badger lake, it would make sense since the launch would be poor. This would likely deter many from fishing it with a boat.

Have you ever fished Little Bow Reservoir?? I heard they have lowered the water, what do you think of the theory that it would concentrate the fishing to smaller area.....

Also just out of curiosity on the Bait situation whats working at Traverse Minnows or Leeches??

Cheers :)

Huntar
07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
is the badger launch still bad? going to be a great week

Hooker
07-05-2009, 03:50 PM
The information I have is that Badger's boat launch is still very 'rustic'. I am also told that a 4 x 4 would be an asset. The shallows in Badger compair with those in Crawling Valley. Since I lost one prop in C.V. I have learned to respect shallow water and operate the motor on shallow run. Badger has a long channel going out of the boat launch area into the middle of the lake where you can branch off north or south. That doesn't mean you are safe as it has lots of hill tops just under the surface all over the lake. If it gets windy you still have to go into the middle of the lake to get into the channel to take you back to the boat launch so don't get caught in the shallows when the wind comes up. I have never fished Little Bow so I won't give advice on that lake. As far as the water being lowered and the fish being concentrated it only makes sense that the fish would stick to the deeper pools.

As far as bait is concerned you can never go too far wrong with a jig and a minnow. With either a minnow or a leach make sure you take some rubber bands along. Cut them into small squares and put them on your hook to keep the bait from coming off (just in case you didn't know that trick).

John Deer
07-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the tips and the heads up on the access to Badger. If 4 x 4 could possible be involved I am cautious. Nothing Like ripping your trailer axel off unload/loading your boat to wreck the fun.

Also an update on the Valley:

Fished this afternoon for a 2 hours, 7 fish total 5 walleye and 2 pike. The fishing has slowed as well as the plant life has almost doubled since last week. Talking with the SRD gents the pike numbers are quite down and the walleye catches have come up strongly. Water temp was around 69.0 F. Walleye were in 14 - 20 ft.

mrpike
03-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Good day to you all

I'm thinking of making a trip over from Kamloops BC to fly fish for pike. I grew up fishing McGregor lake in the 60's.

Does any one have any advise where to go ? I'm looking some time late June or first part of July at this time, I have a good 14' boat and 20 hp motor.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys

Thanks for your time

Derrick
Kamloops BC

Tigger72
04-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Good day to you all

I'm thinking of making a trip over from Kamloops BC to fly fish for pike. I grew up fishing McGregor lake in the 60's.

Does any one have any advise where to go ? I'm looking some time late June or first part of July at this time, I have a good 14' boat and 20 hp motor.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys

Thanks for your time

Derrick
Kamloops BC

Just a heads up.... you may want to post this in the flyfishing area and this is a 5 y/o thread so best to just start a new one... ( And I'll be able to follow it easier to as well.... Always thought it would be cool to catch a pike on a fly)

Habfan
04-01-2014, 04:44 PM
I was just about to say check the regs !