PDA

View Full Version : Canoe friendly places

Elchinodiablo
06-28-2019, 02:37 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a canoe friendly lake to fish south of Calgary. This time of year when the rivers are blown out, I was hoping to sit in my canoe and enjoy the day. I was thinking places like Travers or McGregor but I'm not sure about the bigger boats out there and their wakes. Not looking to fish for stocked mini fish but something that can actually bend my rod. TIA.

Scott N
06-28-2019, 08:17 AM
Beaver Mines Lake has some decent trout in it, about 2.5 or 3 hours south. It's canoe friendly as long as you don't pick a really windy day.

WayneChristie
06-28-2019, 03:49 PM
you can canoe any of them, its the wind you have to worry about. Newell in any of the bays is great on a mostly windless day, might be a rod bender or two in there:sHa_shakeshout: its the calmer days you have to search for :)

Red Snapper
06-28-2019, 08:15 PM
Hey Scott N, stop recommending Beaver Mines. TIA

Scott N
06-28-2019, 08:33 PM
Hey Scott N, stop recommending Beaver Mines. TIA

Why? It's not exactly a secret fishing hole.

Elchinodiablo
06-29-2019, 12:14 AM
I was also thinking of Maligne in Jasper. Any thoughts of a canoe on that?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Toungetech
06-29-2019, 01:12 AM
Crawling valley, follow the road East of the campground and launch the canoe. Work the weed beds in the bays, endless pike.

dave99
06-29-2019, 05:42 AM
I was also thinking of Maligne in Jasper. Any thoughts of a canoe on that?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Jasper is a long ways north of Calgary. That said, there are many lakes that are well suited to canoe fishing in Jasper. Pyramid, Patricia, Moab, Talbot, Edna, and Maligne all come to mind. Talbot can be windy, and Maligne is big water so extra care is needed.

Most fellas that fish Maligne will have a large freighter style canoe with an electric motor.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk