PDA

View Full Version : Crawling Valley Reservoir

Remey
06-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Heading out to Crawling Valley for the first time. Have heard that boulders are an issue. Can anyone provide more info regarding maybe spots or areas to avoid.

hookset
06-29-2019, 08:18 AM
Sandbars and rock piles are through out the lake and in the middle of the lake. Depending on water level sometimes the sunken islands are in 2 ft of water or sometimes 2 inches.

Watch for points extending off islands and discoloured water or ripples being possible shallow rock piles. The southern 1/3rd of the lake closer to the campground seems to be less hazards then venturing further up to the north end.

If you launch at marina head a few hundred yards out then turn south and head towards the gravel road/rock wall. Its deep along that edge and usually holds pike and walleye for bottom bouncing this time of year.

oilngas
06-29-2019, 08:52 AM
Remey; Crawling can be very deceiving, It looks like the centre of the N/S main body of the lake is the deepest part, well that's just not true.
I always use the sonar tracking feature and follow old tracks religiously. In addition I have my passengers engaged and watching for other boats etc., because my head is down following the old tracks and watching the depth. Please be careful and remember it's a reservoir so therefore it is just submerged prairie just like the surrounding prairie it can go from 30 FOW to 1 FOW in the blink of an eye. All that said the submerged terrain is what make Crawling one of my favorite wally Lakes!!

Download a free Ab. Gov. Bathysphere map and use it.

chucklesthe3rd
07-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Northside of the lake. Rapala X rap got me 6 walleye then headed over to my whitefish spot but only managed to hook up on 2.

TROLLER
07-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Try and stay somewhat clear of the west side, there are some very shallow area's that pop up on you suddenly. Also stay to the left when approaching the little light house that leads into the boat launch

old dog
07-03-2019, 06:02 PM
If u have a Lowrance HDS or Hook unit download the map for the lake.