PDA

View Full Version : Skeleton Lake

diamond k
06-30-2019, 10:50 PM
Can anyone tell me about Skeleton lake. Looking at a cabin on the lake but don't have a lot of familiarity with the lake
Looking for info on water levels and quality as well fishing etc
Any help would be great

.270fan
07-01-2019, 09:52 AM
I've heard that the lake level had been dropping significantly over the last few years. My brother was actually looking at a cabin out there and decided against it for that reason.

Kurt505
07-01-2019, 10:01 AM
I've heard that the lake level had been dropping significantly over the last few years. My brother was actually looking at a cabin out there and decided against it for that reason.

It’s now 2 lakes, I rode my sled between them this winter, there was a trail where the lake once was.

That being said, there are still fish in the lakes.

Dewey Cox
07-01-2019, 10:23 AM
I was told the town of Boyle takes it's water out of skeleton lake.
Maybe that's why the level is dropping?

Talking moose
07-01-2019, 10:26 AM
I was told the town of Boyle takes it's water out of skeleton lake.
Maybe that's why the level is dropping?

I think that whole area from Boyle to llb, to ashmont and mann lakes area has been dropping the last decade or two. But pumping water out can’t help.

German
07-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Boyle doesn’t draw water from Skeleton Lake anymore. Haven’t for a few years. They are part of the Athabasca Regional Water system. Water comes from the Athabasca River. Athabasca, Colinton, Boyle, Grassland, and Wandering River are all part of that water commission.

mooseknuckle
07-01-2019, 07:56 PM
I think that whole area from Boyle to llb, to ashmont and mann lakes area has been dropping the last decade or two. But pumping water out can’t help.
Grew up fishing lower mann lake. Was awesome.... its a slew now. Maybe 5-6ft deep at most. Sad. Loved growing up there. Water level has been dropping since the mid nineties, islands are now panisulas

DJS
07-02-2019, 09:17 AM
I live at Skeleton Lake. The lake is great for summer boating sports and the fishing can be very good at times. No Walleye catch limit which sucks because there are some very good walleye numbers. Can keep one pike any size and can catch those every other cast most days. The lake has been dropping water levels but in the last year or so the level has been holding. This is due to the rain fall and the town of Boyle now on the Athabasca river source as another poster already mentioned.

Penner
07-02-2019, 12:31 PM
There are a lot of factors at play but the primary reason many of the lakes in this general area have had water levels drop in the past ~30 years is due to the massive increase in density of water wells drilled for private rual residences. Lake water is being drawn down slowly replenishing the water being removed from the aquifers. Those lakes without large watersheds or tributaries (just spring fed) are impacted the most. Lakes like Moose are busting at the seam with an abundance of water where Muriel is all but dried up and they are only a skip and a jump from each other.

Growing up remember guys fishing the culvert that went underneath the highway connecting two parts of Mann lake. Can hardly see the lake from the highway now where that culvert is at.