PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Fishing Kayaks

338Bluff
07-07-2019, 10:56 AM
Any good? Was looking at a 12 foot Strike. Not interested in shelling out big dollars for the ones at MEC or elsewhere. Just looking for something more convenient than my pontoon boat for spur of the moment trips after work.

I know they are made in Quebec. Looking for advice, not political commentary......

RavYak
07-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Define good. Mec doesn’t even sell good fishing kayaks imo. It is a relative term based on expectations.

If you just want something to get you on the water then the pelican models are fine. They are far from the best available but that is why they are cheap. That said they are improving(especially the “higher” end models) and are good bang for the buck.

If you want something easy to paddle, built in accessories like transducer mounts, more comfortable seats etc then you will need to spend more and get something like a Hobie, Wilderness Systems or Jackson (3 of the higher end fishing kayak brands available locally).

Most people start with something like a pelican to see if they like kayak fishing and they are great for that. Most that enjoy it end up upgrading within 2-3 years after they are able to recognize advantages of higher end models.

Kurt505
07-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Define good. Mec doesn’t even sell good fishing kayaks imo. It is a relative term based on expectations.

If you just want something to get you on the water then the pelican models are fine. They are far from the best available but that is why they are cheap. That said they are improving(especially the “higher” end models) and are good bang for the buck.

If you want something easy to paddle, built in accessories like transducer mounts, more comfortable seats etc then you will need to spend more and get something like a Hobie, Wilderness Systems or Jackson (3 of the higher end fishing kayak brands available locally).

Most people start with something like a pelican to see if they like kayak fishing and they are great for that. Most that enjoy it end up upgrading within 2-3 years after they are able to recognize advantages of higher end models.

Besides a seat, what advantage does a Jackson cuda have over a pelican?

crazyfish
07-07-2019, 11:51 AM
I have a pelican sit in model , had it about 8 years now and I like it .It's perfect for day trips that are solo.

It's decent, it works , it does the job I bought it for . I have a tin boat or a big boat for family days , but it sure is easy to throw the kayak in the back of the truck (or inside the wife's SUV with the seats down) , and be gone in 5 minutes.

The only issue I have is that it's not easy to reach the storage compartment behind you, can be done , but awkward.

If I upgrade , probably a Jackson bite, they're sit on rather than in , and wider / more stable.

RavYak
07-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Besides a seat, what advantage does a Jackson cuda have over a pelican?

Much faster and easier paddling. Center storage hatch. Rear storage hatch. Scupper hole transducer mounting kit. Better options for mounting fish finder. Rudder kit available.

Just a few I can think of, may be more.

Wood4work
07-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Any good? Was looking at a 12 foot Strike. Not interested in shelling out big dollars for the ones at MEC or elsewhere. Just looking for something more convenient than my pontoon boat for spur of the moment trips after work.

I know they are made in Quebec. Looking for advice, not political commentary......

I had no idea they were made in Canada. I haven't used the strike but I have a pelican catch 120. The biggest advantage the strike would have over my catch 120 is speed and weight as it is quite a bit narrower. My Catch 120 has the advantage of comfort (has a much better seat) and stability. I'm a big guy and loaded with gear the kayak is carrying 300+lbs; I can stand rather comfortably and fish. I doubt I could do that on the strike.

scel
07-08-2019, 03:27 PM

I have used this kayak extensively. I fly fish almost exclusely. For fly fishing, barebones is better---if your fly line *can* snag on something, it *will* snag. I also never stand up unless it is calm and there is a 'no motors' restriction.

I have certainly been in better kayaks. For gear anglers, foot propelled seems to be very popular. For fly fishing, it is just something else to tangle on---I am certain this is something that I could have negotiated with some time, but the cost difference was not worth it at the time.

For the dedicated kayak angler, there are better choices. To get on the water a dozen times per year for a couple hours after work, this will be just fine. Do not cheap out on the paddle though---getting a good paddle really makes a difference if you want to paddle a couple km.

dutchman
07-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Mine isn't a Pelican, but similar, Ascend FS12T Camo from Basspro. The seating is super comfy (sort of a padded lawn chair), very stable, great fishing fun. I use it when I don't want the big boat, 10 times per year. I too did not want to break the bank and for the cost it's has done quite well. Over the last 3 years I've paddled many miles in it. No regrets on the purchase. Sure the more expensive ones may have some other features, may slice through the water a little nicer, but for what you're going to use it for, the Pelican or similar would be a good option.