PDA

View Full Version : PCR yesterday

fishing_flower
07-06-2009, 09:31 AM
We had a great day at Pine Coulee yesterday. Walleye were nonstop....we actually started to get bored ha ha. Did some tubing, then more fishing before the storm came in. Our little guy won the first fish bet and bragging rights for the day. :lol::lol: Our daughter and her friend had a blast catching so many fish one after the other. A great place to take kids so they can catch lots of fish and keep the interest up. If you haven't gone with kids, take them and enjoy their reaction!

jts1
07-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I was there as well with 2 other board members as well. Had 106 walley at the end of the day I day We must have been right beside eachother in the line up to get the boat out of the water. On my way back there right now with Sucram "its an addiction"

Trout tracker
07-06-2009, 10:00 AM
What are you guys using out there, if you don't mind me asking? I was thinking of heading out there tomorrow. No boat just off the dock.

jesse34567
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
i like a white or hot pink jig head with a gulp minnow

jts1
07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
That was 106 that I got myself. Off the dock just use a floating lindy rig. With half a worm or piece of smelt. If weather acts up go under the bridge and use a slip bobber set for about 4-6 feet with just a hook and a splitshot or 2. Would say good luck but you don't need it

fishing_flower
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Those walleye down there will bite on anything! At one point hubby told our son, put your own minnow on..he was trying to eat a sandwich and didn't want fishy taste. So he put a chunk of cheese on the jig and they went nuts over it, and he could reuse the bait a few times:) We were jigging about 2feet under the water, was so neat you could see them swarm your hooks!

And yes, it is an addiction to catch them like that. They are plumping up real nice too, they get a lot of free meals as they are catch and release only:lol:

Hey JTS what kind of boat were you in? We were in a 19foot aluminum, white with black trim and roof.

Trout tracker
07-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds like fun. I especially like the part about not needing any luck because if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. :D

jts1
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
We were in walleyedietz's open alluminum with a black 25 on the back 3 of is in the boat spent most of the day sitn in the bay just pass spillway

Battery
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
pcr is a great place to go, especially after a few times of getting skunked, or 1 or 2 fish all day..you need your confidence back :wave::lol:

fishing_flower
07-06-2009, 10:52 AM
We were in walleyedietz's open alluminum with a black 25 on the back 3 of is in the boat spent most of the day sitn in the bay just pass spillway

Was that you guys I heard arguing about the 100th fish?:lol::lol:

jts1
07-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Maybe :)

Hoochie Papa
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Holy crap I have got to go there!!!

Havent caught a fish all year.

fishing_flower
07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Holy crap I have got to go there!!!

Havent caught a fish all year.

All the walleye are catch and release, but so much fun feeding them tub after tub of minnows:D:D:D Find your spot and have a blast.

outbackpat
07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I live in Rocky and was wondering if anyone could give me directions on how to get there?:wave:

fishing_flower
07-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I live in Rocky and was wondering if anyone could give me directions on how to get there?:wave:

Just follow the parade of boats heading there:lol::lol: Sorry I'm not good at giving directions.:lol:

nicemustang
07-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Look up Stavely, AB on google, 6 kms west of that. Long skinny lake. I've haven't been there in 8 years so don't really know it well, except where it is.

michelle
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
It truly is a fantastic place for catching a plethora of Walleye.:wave:

baitfisher83
07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
cant wait til next weekend, hope i can find a killer pike lure and land another big one..

CatchandRelease
07-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Has anyone tried fly fishing there yet? If soo hows it working out and what are they hitting on?

For those of you "Veterans" that are fishing there how deep are they holding usually? Might have to come out and try to get some on the fly this upcoming weekend.

Thanks
C&R

baitfisher83
07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
there was a guy chuckin flies last tuesday there, i think he was using a green streamer, but i dont know much about fly fishing.....he landed about 5 in the half an hour he was throwin it out there

CatchandRelease
07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
thanks alot just good to know there was someone with success out there gives me some confidence now.

Thanks
C&R

baitfisher83
07-06-2009, 05:56 PM
wish i had a flyrod to try it out myself, but cant afford one right now and wouldnt have a clue what type to get..

jts1
07-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Has anyone tried fly fishing there yet? If soo hows it working out and what are they hitting on?

For those of you "Veterans" that are fishing there how deep are they holding usually? Might have to come out and try to get some on the fly this upcoming weekend.

Thanks
C&R

I was out there with kingfisher and a friend of his they both did well on the fly. He is a hell of a guy am sure he would be willing to give you a heads up. I like to toss around a fly but am nowhere near his level. Just toss out streamer and get it to some depth you shouldn't have much trouble

4D7
07-07-2009, 01:21 AM
I was also out there yesterday. SOME people called me in for poaching but obviously they didnt FULLY read the regualtions which states that pike is keepable at no size limit. They thought i bagged a walleye and they lied to the fish cops saying i kept 2 fish when i only caught that pike. Long story short the fish cop came checked me out and saw my fish was a pike No hard feelings to who ever called me in, you did the right thing BUT next time make sure of what other people are keeping before you make the call.

All and all my buddies first time out a PCR and he loved it even though 5 walleyes ate 5 of his fake gulp leeches in a row! =D

Kingfisher
07-07-2009, 03:20 AM
I was out there with kingfisher and a friend of his they both did well on the fly. He is a hell of a guy am sure he would be willing to give you a heads up. I like to toss around a fly but am nowhere near his level. Just toss out streamer and get it to some depth you shouldn't have much trouble

Yes I was out with Jts1 and another friend of mine. I have to admit it took a while to get dialed in. But once we figured out what pattern they would take we were off to the races.

The pattern that we found was best was a black/white clouser. We tied on two about 18" to 24" appart. The key was NOT to use the tieable wire leader. We used that for the first part of the day and didn't catch a damn thing, then once we switched to 12 to 15lb test mono for a leader then we got one after another. We used a full sink line to get the fly down deep. Cast out and count to about 20 and then start your retrieve. If you don't get any hits then count down longer. We fished 15 to 30 feet of water.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=13274&d=1246958387
Carter with a nice little PCR walleye. You can see in this picture that we also used some splitshot to get the flies down deep quick. Carter was using a dry line with a sink tip. So he needed some large split shot to help get it down quickly.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=13275&d=1246958395
Here is the best shot of the fly that we were using. It's a bit chewed up. But it is a black/white clouser. This one was made with DNA. But mine were tied with white polar bear and black bucktail.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=13276&d=1246958403
Me, Kingfisher

Another thing was that we were using heavier rods for chucking the double clousers. Mine was an 8wt and Carter was using a 6wt. A 6wt would do fine. But it's a lot easier to chuck a double clouser set up with a heavier rod.
Rob

outbackpat
07-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Fly fishing for walleyes, sound's like something I'd love to try! I wonder if smelt pattern's would work?

calgarygringo
07-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Should work as that is all we use there winter and summer. Catches fish by the dozens. Walleye, Pike, and Burbot.....

Trout tracker
07-08-2009, 08:48 AM
So, made it out there yesterday with my five year old son and all I can say is holly!!! Was there for about four hours and stopped counting at 60 I think. I couldn't have taken the smile off his face with sandpaper. It was so fun to watch him catch fish after fish. You were right about the monster pike lurking under the dock, it would bolt out from under the dock and try and scam your'e fish.

jts1
07-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Good for you. That place is perfect for the kids "of any size" So glad to hear your lil1 loved it.

Trout tracker
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I think the only thing that would make for a better day out there would be if there were women in bikinis serving cold beer :D Might have to take the ice auger out there and drill a few through the dock to try a nail that shark (joking) :lol:

fishing_flower
07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
They thought i bagged a walleye and they lied to the fish cops saying i kept 2 fish when i only caught that pike.

I saw your fish when you came into the dock, it was laying on the dock next to your boat...and there was only one! And there was no mistaking that it was a pike. Some people just love to stir up trouble I think.

fishing_flower
07-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I couldn't have taken the smile off his face with sandpaper. It was so fun to watch him catch fish after fish.

Isn't that great:D:D

FishBrain
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I know we are not allowed to keep the walleye from PCr but what about the pike? do the burbot bite in the summer?
EDIT: OK I found the info on the pike. keep 3 of any size, what about the burbot in the summer?

thanks

slingshotz
07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
The general regs apply so it's 10 burbs and yes they do bite well at night in the summer.