PDA

View Full Version : bait with ticks. should we worry??

wildman
07-06-2009, 11:13 AM
hey all.
wondering....tried a new type of minnow last trip (new to me anyways) and noticed that they had lots of ticks.
they were the black oval ticks just under the skin...looked like pepper corns. The bait in question was the Candle Lake Shiners...seen them for sale at all the major tackle shops in town.
My concern is that the gamefish that eat these ticks will then get infected with them...
Does the freezing process kill the ticks and eliminate the issue or is more concern and action warranted???
last thing we need is an introduced parasite in our lakes!!!
any thoughts????
thanks and cheers, gw.

goldscud
07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Probably black spot disease...a parasitic flatworm. Probably best not to use bait carrying the worms.
Check out this paper:

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/1811/22575/1/V078N6_318.pdf

wildman
07-06-2009, 01:05 PM
see thats what i was thinking....and, as i mentioned, i see these minnows in ALL the big fishing stores....

Sundancefisher
07-06-2009, 01:23 PM
see thats what i was thinking....and, as i mentioned, i see these minnows in ALL the big fishing stores....

report this to fish and wildlife asap... See what they say. Include goldscuds link

wildman
07-06-2009, 01:42 PM
well, i emailed the store where i got the minnows and replied very quickly with a few clarifying questions, etc. and sounded quite concerned. we'll see what comes of it....i'll relay any info i get....
cheers, gw.

nicemustang
07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh oh, I for see a minnow shortage....

fishing_flower
07-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Oh oh, I for see a minnow shortage....

Think I might stock up in BC to make sure we have some for Pigeon the August long weekend

michelle
07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Keep us posted!:scared:

Calgary Fisherman
07-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I just went to Canadian Tire up on Country Hills NW
Checked the 2 Tubs I got
No signs of what you describe, I will keep an eye out

For Info
It was 4.45 for Large Minnows at this Canadian Tire
Same ones at Bass Pro

I never seem to find these different Kinds listed
Usually its the same minnows and some different Smelts

Winch101
07-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I have 2 packs of these in the freezer ... The other thing I noticed

about the first pack I used was that there were a few 5-6 Perch minnows and 1 I swear was a Walleye in the pack ... I believe perch as bait is illegal in alberta ....I believe the supplier ( at least onr of them ) is the bait place
out of Strathmore ( he usually has lockport minnows ) manitoba but are late coming ....

I will check for parasite ...

Donavonszoo
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
I have 2 packs of these in the freezer ... The other thing I noticed

about the first pack I used was that there were a few 5-6 Perch minnows and 1 I swear was a Walleye in the pack ... I believe perch as bait is illegal in alberta ....I believe the supplier ( at least onr of them ) is the bait place
out of Strathmore ( he usually has lockport minnows ) manitoba but are late coming ....

I will check for parasite ...

I found walleye minnows in a tub a month ago, Fish and game was doing rounds and I reported it and gave the minnows to them along with a tub with the companies name on it. They agreed that they visually looked like walleye said they would send the minnows in for testing and have a chat with the company. As for parasites I have never saw any in their tubs nor anyone else's and i burn through as many as 60 tubs a month(i may have a slight fishing addiction) maybe this is a isolated occurrence. It also may be hard to track the exact lake the minnows came from since none of the minnow tubs dont have specifics on them just where the mother company is.
Donavon

deanmc
07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I found walleye minnows in a tub a month ago, Fish and game was doing rounds and I reported it and gave the minnows to them along with a tub with the companies name on it. They agreed that they visually looked like walleye said they would send the minnows in for testing and have a chat with the company. As for parasites I have never saw any in their tubs nor anyone else's and i burn through as many as 60 tubs a month(i may have a slight fishing addiction) maybe this is a isolated occurrence. It also may be hard to track the exact lake the minnows came from since none of the minnow tubs dont have specifics on them just where the mother company is.
Donavon

Wow I never knew that!!! I swear I have seen perch minnows in bait masters before. i assumed they were farmed and ok to use. I will watch very carefully for this from now on.