PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Pond in the Summer

TJH
07-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Growing up in Calgary, I was an avid fly fisherman earlier in my life and have caught countless trouts from streams and rivers, never did any spincasting. Now, living in St. Albert, needed a spot nearby so that my young boys (6 & 8) can get started with the sport. My boys are still too young for flyfishing so, spoke with the folks at the local fishing store, bought the three of us each a basic set of light rods, reels, bobbers, powerbaits, pre-tied gankhooks etc. and off we go. Been to Cardiff 6X this spring & summer, usually late morning, early afternoon, caught only one perch and one trout in 6 tries. Not very good at all for 6 full days of fishing.

I have tried bobbers with sinking worms, mashmellows, powerbait... nothing. I have tried bottom rigs with floating powerbait (you know, sliding lead shot with swivel stopper and a floating powerbait gankhook set up)... nothing. The only luck we had came from spinners, caught a trout and a perch with them, didnt even know there are perch in the pond..

Yesterday, there must have been >30 families there, one family of 3 caught >10 fish, most of the other had nothing. I must be missing something.

Is there certain spot at the pond better than others? Am I fishing the wrong depth? Are certain baits better than other? Is there another nearby spot I can go to? Am I using the wrong rigs? Any info is greatly appreciated?

bulliver
07-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I fished there 4x last summer, I used a fly rod my buddy used a spinning rod with a torpedo bobber and a fly. We had lots of action. Then I brought my niece and nephew, they used the spinning rod, torpedo bobber,fly set-up and had good action again. The next time was later in the summer, by myself with a fly rod, only caught one on a woolybugger but it was a very nice sized football shaped rainbow. So if they are rising I would try that torpedo shaped bobber and a fly, we were using little bead head nymphs.

fishead
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I used to fish Cardiff before moving to Cochrane a few years ago. You could always try some flies with spincast rod. Used to have really good luck with black woolly buggers, zug bugs, pheasent tail nymphs and Grifith knat when they were rising. You could also try Lacombe Lake pond its real close for you and it is stocked.

Safety D
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Where do you buy those torpedo shaped bobbers? What do they look like?? How do you rig them? THanks

bulliver
07-06-2009, 02:29 PM
They have rubber tube through them and a stopper on on top, you run your line through the rubber tube as far as needed then lift the stopper and twist it to hold the line, you can also fill it with water while the top is pulled up.tie some light line or tippet on it, about 7or8 feet and tie on a fly. (the water is for weight)

Sundancefisher
07-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Growing up in Calgary, I was an avid fly fisherman earlier in my life and have caught countless trouts from streams and rivers, never did any spincasting. Now, living in St. Albert, needed a spot nearby so that my young boys (6 & 8) can get started with the sport. My boys are still too young for flyfishing so, spoke with the folks at the local fishing store, bought the three of us each a basic set of light rods, reels, bobbers, powerbaits, pre-tied gankhooks etc. and off we go. Been to Cardiff 6X this spring & summer, usually late morning, early afternoon, caught only one perch and one trout in 6 tries. Not very good at all for 6 full days of fishing.

I have tried bobbers with sinking worms, mashmellows, powerbait... nothing. I have tried bottom rigs with floating powerbait (you know, sliding lead shot with swivel stopper and a floating powerbait gankhook set up)... nothing. The only luck we had came from spinners, caught a trout and a perch with them, didnt even know there are perch in the pond..

Yesterday, there must have been >30 families there, one family of 3 caught >10 fish, most of the other had nothing. I must be missing something.

Is there certain spot at the pond better than others? Am I fishing the wrong depth? Are certain baits better than other? Is there another nearby spot I can go to? Am I using the wrong rigs? Any info is greatly appreciated?

Use the smallest bobber and a chironomid nymph. Black...silver rib...white or silver bead

kbtrucking
07-06-2009, 08:22 PM
if you have a boat, head out to Alberta Beach (Lac St. Anne) launch on the west side and head by the island and use minnows or leeches on any colour jig in 8 to 15 feet of water and they will catch all the walleye they want 2-4 pounds! By the west side i mean west side of the narrows, the small end of the lake.

thundergrey
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
It was reciently stocked. Lots of 4" trout now. Not good for eating yet but still fun for the afternoon. I had a bobber 18" of line some small weights another 18" then a small hook with some trout worm. Easy as that. Try different spots and differnt depths and you should find something.

Morbius131
07-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey TJH,

I fish the Cardiff and Morinville ponds regularly because they are easy to access for a couple hours after work. I regularly catch fish but it has taken me some time to figure out how to fish each of them. I am not one to throw a bobber in the water and wait for the fish to bite at these pond. Likely that is because I am impatient or because the fish are always surfacing and taunting you :).

All in all here is what I have learnt. If you are going to cast fire a little jig and light line. Find the color they like. You will find out pretty quick as the little ones will start following it. Normally a bright green, bright yellow or orange are the colors. If the jig isn't working try a small spinner. Normally silver and red works the best in most conditions. If that fails then i will go to a bobber and some maggots. All in all you can find fish almost anywhere there but obviously where you see the fish rising the most is where you will have the best luck.

Hope that helps.

Morb

TJH
07-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Everyone mentioned the word "small" in their posts. So how small is small. The guy at the Fishinghole gave me size 8 gank hooks, I am thinking that it may be too big (given the 4 in. comment). I dont remember how small my spoons/spinners were but there were big enough to that they were easy to cast without weights or bobbers.

If I go the bobber/"fly" route, what size bobber/flies should I be buying? What size spinner/spoon should I get?

captain_k
07-15-2009, 01:23 AM
i have been using olive and brown wolly buggers with lots of luck, bites almost every cast when they start rising. I use the adjust a bubble and twist it about 5 feet up from the hook....get some nice far casts in. As for hook sizes ive been using 8 and 6 and getting fish on both sizes.

Edgix
07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
i have been using olive and brown wolly buggers with lots of luck, bites almost every cast when they start rising. I use the adjust a bubble and twist it about 5 feet up from the hook....get some nice far casts in. As for hook sizes ive been using 8 and 6 and getting fish on both sizes.

Where abouts on the pond do you fish? I've tried from the dock and near the dock without too much success. Any other fly suggestions for there?

Sundancefisher
07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Everyone mentioned the word "small" in their posts. So how small is small. The guy at the Fishinghole gave me size 8 gank hooks, I am thinking that it may be too big (given the 4 in. comment). I dont remember how small my spoons/spinners were but there were big enough to that they were easy to cast without weights or bobbers.

If I go the bobber/"fly" route, what size bobber/flies should I be buying? What size spinner/spoon should I get?

Size 10 - 12 leeches

Size 12-18 chironomids

Bobber should be sized accordingly.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey TJH,

I fish the Cardiff and Morinville ponds regularly because they are easy to access for a couple hours after work. I regularly catch fish but it has taken me some time to figure out how to fish each of them. I am not one to throw a bobber in the water and wait for the fish to bite at these pond. Likely that is because I am impatient or because the fish are always surfacing and taunting you :).

All in all here is what I have learnt. If you are going to cast fire a little jig and light line. Find the color they like. You will find out pretty quick as the little ones will start following it. Normally a bright green, bright yellow or orange are the colors. If the jig isn't working try a small spinner. Normally silver and red works the best in most conditions. If that fails then i will go to a bobber and some maggots. All in all you can find fish almost anywhere there but obviously where you see the fish rising the most is where you will have the best luck.

Hope that helps.

Morb

X 2 , ive spent my fare share time out in these places . And small jigs are deadly same with spinners or small spoons , Or fly fish .

Jorg
07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
The trick in Cardiff is to use size 12 hooks smotherd with velvetta cheese make sure the eye of the hook is covered with cheese also, just suspend the bait a few feet under the water with a bobber. It worked great when I used to fish there in the mid 90's and easy to do with the youngsters