PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing for beginners - where to go (southern AB)

tnly
07-15-2019, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new to fishing since I the last time I went as about 20 years ago as a kid with my dad and his friend somewhere by Bragg Creek.
I'd like to out fishing again, particularly for trout and I'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to go. I'm from Calgary and would love to go anywhere in the foothills (or Kananaskis) from Crowsnest to Nordegg. It's beautiful everywhere!
I don't care about catching the biggest trout, just something I can take home with me. We used to fish in streams with spinners so that's what I would prefer (because that's what I know) but I don't want to rule out lakes or ponds but I don't have a boat or anything like that.

lds
07-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Pretty tough to find a river you are aloud to keep and trout. Best bet is a lake. Maybe chain lakes. Rivers are the prettiest and funnest if you just want to catch and release though

Scott N
07-15-2019, 10:51 AM
It could have been Mclean pond that your dad and his friend took you too? It's out by Bragg Creek.

You could hop on Hwy 22 and go south to Chain Lakes, or continue south to Lee Lake, Beaver Mines Lake, Beauvais Lake.... they are all south / west of Pinch Creek, but get stocked with rainbows every year.

Police Lake SW of Cardston can be good.

If you like hiking, Rawson Lake in K-Country is opening up soon (maybe today?) for fishing if you wanted to try for some cutthroats, or Elbow Lake near the Highwood Junction if you want to catch a whole bunch of little brookies.

Remember to check the regs about keeping fish, it varies depending on where you end up going.

tnly
07-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys! I guess I'm going to try out Chain Lakes first and then go from there. I've never been there, just drove by but it sounds good. It's too bad (but understandable) that fish creeks and rivers is pretty much not allowed these days. I guess there are too many people now...

pinelakeperch
07-15-2019, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new to fishing since I the last time I went as about 20 years ago as a kid with my dad and his friend somewhere by Bragg Creek.
I'd like to out fishing again, particularly for trout and I'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to go. I'm from Calgary and would love to go anywhere in the foothills (or Kananaskis) from Crowsnest to Nordegg. It's beautiful everywhere!
I don't care about catching the biggest trout, just something I can take home with me. We used to fish in streams with spinners so that's what I would prefer (because that's what I know) but I don't want to rule out lakes or ponds but I don't have a boat or anything like that.

Extending the area you're willing to travel to will give you some better options. To remain in areas that have a Bragg Creek feel to them, I would recommend Payne Lake and Beaver Mines. Payne Lake has more trout stocked annually than any other stocked lake in Alberta. Both are in the SW portion of the province; Payne Lake near Cardston and Beaver Mines near Pincher Creek.

It's a bit more of a hike (and far less trees and mountains), but Blood Indian is also a great option. You'll have the opportunity to catch browns, brookies, tigers and rainbows. It's second to Payne as far as the amount of fish stocked.

Oh, and all options allow you to retain three trout. Blood Indian has some specific regulations regarding the brookies, browns and tigers.

tnly
07-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the additional tips!!!
I'm especially drawn to Payne Lake because it's so close to Waterton - a place my girlfriend and I love to visit.
We generally don't mind driving farther. We like to listen to audiobooks in the car so we're always excited about longer drives.

tnly
07-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Hi guys,
I have another question... I feel a bit silly asking but I don't know and I don't have anyone to ask...
I only have these three spinners and since I've never really gone fishing on a lake, I was wondering if they are even the right thing to use. I'd really be interested in hearing what kind of gear you think would be useful. I read in another post here about using "adjust-a-bubble" float and a some flies but I've no experience with that - I'll try to read up on that a bit though.

https://www.tnphoto.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IMG_20190715_20261670021.jpg

coyoteman
07-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Hi everyone,

The stocked ponds southern Ab are listed--Thread your cast thru a water weighted bobber--about two ft extending--attach a size 14-16 adams--reel slow just to keep up the slack.while others pound away with lures and spinners--You will be home frying your 5 trout.

pinelakeperch
07-16-2019, 10:49 AM
The spinners will work. Use a swivel to avoid line twist.

I'd also try:

No.6 Len Thompson spoons (or any small spoon).

F5 or CD5 Rapala in a rainbow trout pattern

Pickerel rigs with worms, corn or shrimp

Slip bobber with aforementioned bait

Feel free to PM me if you need more advice.

i love fishing
07-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Baits you can try:
Corn
Powerbait for recently stocked trout
Salmon eggs
worms
Small Marshmellow

Also, watch this video on how to catch stocked trout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWtPRIHci5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yFhH2lbNow&t=14s

tnly
07-17-2019, 08:13 AM
The stocked ponds southern Ab are listed--Thread your cast thru a water weighted bobber--about two ft extending--attach a size 14-16 adams--reel slow just to keep up the slack.while others pound away with lures and spinners--You will be home frying your 5 trout.

The spinners will work. Use a swivel to avoid line twist.

I'd also try:

No.6 Len Thompson spoons (or any small spoon).

F5 or CD5 Rapala in a rainbow trout pattern

Pickerel rigs with worms, corn or shrimp

Slip bobber with aforementioned bait

Feel free to PM me if you need more advice.

Baits you can try:
Corn
Powerbait for recently stocked trout
Salmon eggs
worms
Small Marshmellow

Also, watch this video on how to catch stocked trout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWtPRIHci5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yFhH2lbNow&t=14s

Thank you guys! It's much appreciated!