PDA

View Full Version : Aylmer Lake Lodge NWT

Dave P
07-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Just got back from Aylmer Lake Lodge. Was there from July 9th to 13th on a work trip.

Few Comments:

- The Arctic is wild. I have never been anywhere close to that far north and the scenery was breathtaking. No trees is something to wrap your head around. And I didn’t anticipate how many water bodies there are up north. The Tundra is a crazy place.
- From what I am told, the weather right now is not usual to the Lodge this time of the year. The lake still had massive ice floats on it. Average temp was around 10-15 degrees, with storms and wind coming as going. But it’s the Arctic man. No big deal
- With the weather being seasonally late, it sounds like the real big mama’s are still lethargic and hiding under the ice. Sorry, big mama’s for the Arctic. In three full days of fishing, I was averaging probably 30 fish + a day, with average weight of 18-25lbs. I was ecstatic with these numbers as I have very little experiences with Trout this big (used to a couple pounds in a stream here and there). While some guys had low numbers trolling the deep water, you couldn’t wipe the SE grin off my face playing with these guys all day long.
- Kevin and Patti are amazing hosts. The accommodations are simple, but spotless and warm. Food was fantastic. The two of them did absolutely everything they could to make sure everyone was having a great time.
- Gary Hanke was my guide for 2 of the 3 days. Great unexpected perk. Man was a wealth of fly fishing knowledge.

This is a place that should be on every anglers bucket list!

Dave

RACKER
07-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Good for you. I’ve never caught a laker or seen the north country. I’m always happy to hear others have a fantastic time in the outdoors. Thanks for posting and I hope your next outing is half as fun.

Peace Country
07-18-2019, 04:35 PM
Dave it was a great pleasure to have you and your work mates in camp. Lots of fun was had by all, and tons of fish was caught.

guru fisher
07-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Amazing !!!! Something about the Arctic.... YOu wont know tell you go !!!

Jamie
07-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Amazing !!!! Something about the Arctic.... YOu wont know tell you go !!!

If you have never been that far north, I would highly recommend it. Did a crappy Caribou hunt up that way and it was just amazing. Got tired of racing the guides for a seat in the bar though. Also tired of waking his ass up in the AM.

BUT, the land and everything about up there has burned a hole in my mind. Some day I will once again walk those eon's old trails. Just even to eat the berries. Wow.

So glad you got to go. I am 100% sure Peace runs a hell of a camp. If they ever opened Carbou up again I would love to see him do it.

35 whelen
07-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Spent many years in the high Arctic guiding fisherman and Caribou hunting it's a wonderful place lots and lots of things to see, miss my time up there.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190720/b9f5635fbf8ed677c4bb5be614b7d4fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk