PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Line

King Midas
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
What's the best brand and weight of line to use for monster walleye and pike? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Morph1
07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
20 lbs crystal fireline on all 5 rods = best line ever,
I had that snap only once in about 150 outings, the reel brake was too tight - my own fault, I also got one reel loaded with a 50 lbs spider wire for monster pike/sharks and lots of weeds :D
Hope it helps :cool:

Cheers !

bowfin
07-06-2009, 11:00 PM
2x on the fireline great for making your own spinner rigs too

Calgary Fisherman
07-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Been using SpiderWire Braided for the last 3 Years, no problems.
I have been using SpiderWire Camo 30lb Test This year
Been great so far and haven't lost a fish from a good fight.
When I get caught on a rock though, its a different story trying to even break this line with brute stength. Usually have to use my pliers to cut it after 10 Mins of playing in all directions to budge it free.

I got mine on Sale for around $20ish, think its goes for $25-30 for the 30lb Braided Line.

FishHound
07-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Love my braided line. Weight depends on what kind of fish you catch. 10lb on walleye rod and 30 on jack rod. You have to try really hard to cut this stuff. Never had it break, even when I was using an old rod with 3 year old line.

seahawkfisher
07-07-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm trying that fireline tracer braid right now, maited to rio flouroflex leader material. I'm finding that the fireline frays more than the powerpro i was using last year. havent lost a fish on it yet
cheers

-JR-
07-07-2009, 06:47 AM
8 lb firerline - walleye
15 lb firerline -pike

Walleyes
07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
10# Maxima Ultra Green right across the board for Walleye and Pike..

In my opinion there is no need for any heavier line thats what a drag is for.

King Midas
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Since fireline appears the most, I have to ask: does it cast smooth, even after a lot of use?

burbotman
07-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Been using SpiderWire Braided for the last 3 Years, no problems.
I have been using SpiderWire Camo 30lb Test This year
Been great so far and haven't lost a fish from a good fight.
When I get caught on a rock though, its a different story trying to even break this line with brute stength. Usually have to use my pliers to cut it after 10 Mins of playing in all directions to budge it free.

I got mine on Sale for around $20ish, think its goes for $25-30 for the 30lb Braided Line.

X2 on the spiderwire. I use the 15Lb/4lb diameter. Sensitive, casts great and is strong!!!

Cal
07-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I agree with walleyes, this was the first year I went to the braided lines. I realy dont think their all that special. For some reason ever since I spooled up my rods with spiderwire I've been using my back up rod most which still has 10 lb mono on it. That braided stuff is shredding up the guides so bad on my rods I'm realy tempted to just take it off and re-spool my tipups.

Waxy
07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I agree with walleyes, this was the first year I went to the braided lines. I realy dont think their all that special. For some reason ever since I spooled up my rods with spiderwire I've been using my back up rod most which still has 10 lb mono on it. That braided stuff is shredding up the guides so bad on my rods I'm realy tempted to just take it off and re-spool my tipups.

Spiderwire is notorious for being REALLY hard on guides and reels, I personally won't use it. I find the Power Pro to be pretty abrasive as well.

Fireline for me, it's softer and limper, casts better, doesn't affect the guides or reels at all, and it lasts almost forever. I love the flourescent green stuff and the original smoke.

Waxy

-JR-
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I did find the firerline green too dark ,and had to go with some clear mono for walleye,I would recomend Fireline crystal for walleye in 8 lb.
Also good for pike ,just set the drag,.....no leader needed ! this is why I like it !

Waxy
07-07-2009, 01:34 PM
I find the Crystal to be kind of gimmicky myself, it's far from transparent. It's kinda hard to see above the water and just looks white when under water. I really like the visibility of the neon green stuff, I think it's actually called "yellow", for seeing the line when jigging, and especially for rigging, when being able to see your line is so critical.

When the bite is real finnicky, I'll tie on a 3-4' 100% fluorocarbon leader, it does make a difference under certain circumstances.

I usually use the 8/3 or even 6/2 for jigging and rigging, and I have a spool of 14/6 if I'm targeting pike specifically. I spool all my trolling rods - bouncing and cranks - with 10/4 smoke. The main reason for that is because the Precision Trolling book lists the dive curves using 10/4 Fireline, and it's plenty strong enough with a properly set drag.

Waxy

fluxcore
07-07-2009, 05:12 PM
10# Maxima Ultra Green right across the board for Walleye and Pike..

In my opinion there is no need for any heavier line thats what a drag is for.

X2 Maxima green the best by test, Ive never had a problem with the line braking on any fish!!!!! its also great for leader line fly fishing. When im fishing on the weat coast for steel head its a must for thumbing out casts on a bait cast reel, its very limp with almost no memory witch= no rats nests