PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Fishing

BH1
07-07-2009, 02:31 AM
In the last couple days of July and early August we have a Fishing trip planned for the Queen Charrlotte Islands. Before we leave I'm wondering if anyone has interesting/unique ways to catch Chinook, Coho, Halibut, Ling Cod and other variets of fish. Be it lures, how you cut the bait or special rigs. As well as any other info/stories of your pacific fishing experiences.

Walleyes
07-07-2009, 09:32 AM
So many questions on such a wide variety of topics lolol..

BH1,, I am asuming you are going on a guided trip and as such the people you are going to be with will be knowledgeable in catching fish. When it comes to sal****er fishing there are so many things and such a wide variety of methods that can come into play it just can't be done in a few words.

Just be patient, listen watch and learn,, beleive me it takes years to get to know this fishery and a whole whack of money as well.

Good luck on your trip.

Mike_W
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
BH1 not too sure if you are going guided or not by your message and questions I would suggest your self guided.
Area to area things change my suggestion would be a BC fishing forum and ask area specific questions.
Some Areas plug baits will work best other are anchovies and some are cut plug herring. The area I fish Anchovies with teaser heads work best for salmon.

As for Halibut octopus, herring and salmon belly are all good choices, halibut are not too picky I would suggest octopus or salmon belly purely due to the toughness of it when fishing for halibut in 300ft you don’t want to have to reel up all the time to replace bait smaller fish have stolen.

If fishing with any type of herring or anchovies use a brine, this will do two things toughen the bait making it more durable and shine up the scales making them extra flashy.

Last but not least fish with fresh good quality bait and keep it cold!!

Good Luck.

Jamie
07-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Well I saw something different on this past trip. One of our guides took a little pie shaped notch out of the pooper hole on the herring. His thought was a better roll by allowing some water to flow through..
Seemed to work, but then so did the regular cuts.
Just another little idea for the tackle box.

I am going to try some Deep Six divers in Hakai next week. I am running spoons/Plugs and cut plugs. I will let you know how everything worked.

Jamie