PDA

View Full Version : Buzz bombs for rainbows.

trigger7mm
07-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Has anybody ever tried using buzz bombs for rainbow trout. I suppose the smallest sizes would be the best. If so, what colours work good.

Kurt505
07-19-2019, 08:43 PM
I’ve used them for browns tipped off with a fly. Worked awesome. Used silver, green, and pink. Didn’t seem to matter what color.

trigger7mm
07-19-2019, 09:26 PM
Do you have a fly trailing behind the buzz bomb? I tried that last weekend, only with a spoon, and caught a couple nice trout.

Kurt505
07-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Do you have a fly trailing behind the buzz bomb? I tried that last weekend, only with a spoon, and caught a couple nice trout.

Yup, I use a beaded prince.

58thecat
07-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Two inch pink/white combo on the treble hook incorporate a rooster tail in red/silver......

Smoky buck
07-20-2019, 08:33 AM
I prefer zingers over buzz bombs but same style of lure really. It works well for predatory trout of all species including rainbows. It can be deadly in deep fast water in rivers expecially near dams. I have had ok results jigging zingers in deep lake conditions but it truly shines with river fishing

I most commonly stick to the 3inch size but adjust if I need more or less weight. It can be deadly in high water river conditions expecially for browns on the upper bow. It takes a little practice to get a feel for it but I find short fast popping action when jigging most effective.

Used under the right conditions it’s a deadly way to fish trout but under the wrong conditions it’s a complete waste of time.

trigger7mm
07-20-2019, 09:07 AM
What’s the smallest size of Zinger that is available.

Smoky buck
07-20-2019, 09:31 AM
What’s the smallest size of Zinger that is available.

Can’t remember but I think I have one that is around an 1 1/2 inch but I never use it. I prefer the larger size because they fall faster and this makes it easier to work with a short sharp popping action that keeps it more so in a none stop fluttering action instead of the conventional long pull and drop jigging style. I find working them this way far more effective.

I find trout in the 12-14inch size have no issue taking the 3 inch zingers if that is what you’re considered about

The simple pearl white with different colour backs, glow in the dark and the silver I find work best. I also replace the rubber stopper with a bead it adds a clacking noise

trigger7mm
07-20-2019, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the great advice! Have a good weekend.

Smoky buck
07-20-2019, 10:18 AM
It might take a bit to get a feel for the right action and best conditions to use them but zingers can be a great tool to add to your bag of tricks

Good luck