PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Trip Ruined by Slave Lake Jerk

jrcw
07-07-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm not usually one to complain, but this was simply too infuriating to not share. After receiving some much-appreciated tips from a fellow forum member about the fishing in Slave River, my girlfriend and I decided to make the trip there on Sunday to try our luck. Having not yet taken the canoe out this year we decided to leave the boat at home and opt to paddle instead. We put in at the public launch and paddled just over a mile down river to where the Sawridge Creek meets the Slave River. The current in the river was quite strong and knowing that we would have to paddle against it to get back to the truck we decided we shouldn't go any further. The forum member who had graciously shared his knowledge of the river had mentioned this as a good spot so we pulled up on the only available piece of beach and set up to fish. Things were going great, the weather was perfect and the bite was on. Suddenly we heard the roar of an engine and I knew a boat was coming. I reeled in to get my line out of the river while the boat passed. It didn't pass. This jack*** comes flying around the bend in a big red and grey jet boat, pulls a high-speed 180 degree turn RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME WHERE I WAS FISHING, and then proceeds to drive his boat up onto the tiny spit of beach where I was standing!!! No exaggeration, his boat was within 10 feet, directly in front on me. He had put himself right between me and river, completely blocking any chance I would have to cast. He then proceeded to walk to the front of the boat and throw his anchor on shore, all the while pretending I wasn't even there. Without saying a word he starts to fish. I simply could not believe this was actually happening. I have become accustomed to people pulling up close and dropping anchor beside you while boat fishing, or parking themselves next to you while casting from a bank, but this was just too much. This was a blatant challenge, a silent 'f** you, this is my spot'. Not only had he poached my spot, he made it so there was no way I could continue fishing. I consider myself an easy-going individual but there was no way I could let this go. I let him have it. I pointed out the rediculous fact that it was a 70 kilometre long river, HE had JET BOAT, I had a CANOE. He could fish anywhere he wanted! He could have even just dropped his anchor IN the river and had a BETTER spot. This ignorant tool wasn't having any of it. "I put my boat in the river to fish and that's what I'm going to do". At that point I'd had it. I wasn't about to get in a fist-fight over a fishing spot, as much I felt like decking him. I told him I'd leave and let him have his "private land". The girlfriend and I packed up our gear, got in the canoe and started fighting the current back to the boat launch...with me fuming the whole way. Then, as if this guy hadn't already established just how much of an ***hole he is, he suddenly comes up behind us, motoring back to the boat launch!! He had fished "his" spot for no more than 10 minutes, then decided to pack it in!! He ruined our day for 10 minutes of fishing. Once we made it back to the launch we saw him loading his boat. Knowing that nothing good would come of any further interaction, we floated in an eddy and waited while he left the parking lot. I've been fishing a long time and spent many of those years as a fishing guide. Never have I seen anything this rude. People like this give sportsmen a bad name. Behaviour like this does nothing but turn off those who may be new to the sport. I don't know if this guy is a Slave Lake local, but given that he was out by himself chances are good that he is. Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to go back and contribute more of my money to the local economy. I don't know what more I can say other than that I sincerely hope that this doesn't ever happen again, to me or any other angler.

baitfisher83
07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
dont let one jerk sour you on going back, he's not worth it, and if you never go back, he wins.....

hal53
07-07-2009, 02:26 PM
dont let one jerk sour you on going back, he's not worth it, and if you never go back, he wins.....
X2...and as u say he's likely local(??)....theres some good people on here from Slave who may know him or of him...he'll likely hear about it....... but ..sigh...as you say he's a jerk...not much one can do.....

sourdough doug
07-07-2009, 02:26 PM
I was going to offer some sleuthing to find out who this fisherperson is, but being as you already know that he is local, and have painted the rest with the same brush, I wii have to rescind my offer. I would put money on it not being as you say it is...

hal53
07-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I was going to offer some sleuthing to find out who this fisherperson is, but being as you already know that he is local, and have painted the rest with the same brush, I wii have to rescind my offer. I would put money on it not being as you say it is...
beleive he just thought or assumed the guy was local, as he was alone....could've been from anywhere, don't think he "painted" anybody....

Fishfinder
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
WOW. Way to keep ur composure. I would have lost it for sure! Fish bonkers aren't always just for fish:evilgrin:I woulda had the little lady distract him and then BONKITY, BONK, BONK, BONK, while he's watching. Then: sink the motor, toss his oars, set the boat free, and leave him with a PFD and a rod with no hook to wake up to - stranded:lol::lol::lol: all while I paddled back to shore with our new found tackle! Jus kiddin, good on u for being the cooler cat!:cool:

P.S. - once at shore, I'd toss his plates in the crapper n pop every single tire on his losercruiser:evilgrin:

378 Wthrby
07-07-2009, 02:47 PM
If you were back at the loading dock, get a license # and a quik call to F&W or RCMP and an explanation of the danger he put U and your girlfriend in (some embelishing wouldn't hurt)could have ruined his day. Just a little frustration payback. Sorry to here it ruined your day.
Just my 2 cents

floppychicken
07-07-2009, 02:53 PM
WOW. Way to keep ur composure. I would have lost it for sure! Fish bonkers aren't always just for fish:evilgrin:I woulda had the little lady distract him and then BONKITY, BONK, BONK, BONK, while he's watching. Then: sink the motor, toss his oars, set the boat free, and leave him with a PFD and a rod with no hook to wake up to - stranded:lol::lol::lol: all while I paddled back to shore with our new found tackle! Jus kiddin, good on u for being the cooler cat!:cool:

P.S. - once at shore, I'd toss his plates in the crapper n pop every single tire on his losercruiser:evilgrin:

Yeah !

Now that's what I'm talkin' about ! :D

floppychicken
07-07-2009, 03:20 PM
...seriously, you are one cool customer... :cool:

I have every ounce of respect for what you did.

Man, I'm so glad that wasn't me... It would have turned out VERY badly indeed, cause' I would have been on that guy like a 'Rabid Monkey on a Cupcake' ! :mad3:
As much as I would like to say that I'm that tolerant, there's no doubt in my mind that there would have been 'gashes' or... worse. :( Good for you for being better than I......

You were 100% right in what you did too, as it's 'blatantly obvious' that this ****rod was merely looking for a fight. Unfortunately there's a few of us that are 'good people too' but we're just NOT able to keep it together like you did for very long. Personally I know that I would eventually reach the point that I wouldn't even remember the rest of the event until it was over..... Bad for me, bad for 'Buddy'.

I hope it doesn't deter you from going to Slave anytime in the future.

Cheers, :)

/FC....

smitty9
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow, I feel bad for you, and major kudos for keeping cool and your dignity.
Unfortunately the world is full of *******'s.

I too support the suggestion of reporting him to the local RCMP. It was dangerous what he did.

Furthermore, I encourage you to write a letter and send it to various local publications, I don't know if the town of Slave Lake has a periodical. I completely understand if you don't want to do this and just put it behind you, but a letter would help.

As for the other poster who thought of helping but backed down, maybe give the guy a bit of a break. If you can help out, then do so. I don't think the intent was to paint all the locals with the same brush. And if you can find out who the ******* is, maybe some public embarrassment might help put him in his place.

Anyways, I hope this really doesn't deter you from going back. That area is really a nice part of Alberta.

Smitty

nboylie
07-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Wow, I probably would of chucked his anchor at his face. What a loser.

jrcw
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I appreciate the words of support. The whole thing definetely rattled me. I just want to clarify that I in no way meant to suggest that the people of Slave Lake are all like this one individual. Obviously that is certainly not the case. It's just that this was my first experience fishing there and what happened has left a bad taste in my mouth. I meant no disrespect to the community or the outdoor opportunities they have to offer.

tatonkagp
07-07-2009, 05:02 PM
dude I would have had a hard time too man, Tough to be the better man sometimes. I think I would have fished the same spot right beside him. right in his cast. But I can be an intimidating person. Good job on being the cooler head.

star77
07-07-2009, 09:01 PM
you did the right thing u were not alone if was me and alone i would show him how to fish person like that has no respect from me

ppl like that need to slap or they will be keep doing to others

sourdough doug
07-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Back to you jr. I intentionally used the word "Painted", to emphasize your phrasing - "chances are good he is". That is where I am coming from. I appreciate your comments in your second post and if it will help, I'll keep my eyes open, as will other others in the area who follow this forum.. Maybe, we'll meet next time you are by..:wave:

Fishfinder
07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
you did the right thing u were not alone if was me and alone i would show him how to fish person like that has no respect from me

ppl like that need to slap or they will be keep doing to others

I agree. I am not a violent man by any means, but some people don't learn until they do get a good slap. That's how I learned:innocent: Especially when they are invading ur hole!!!:evilgrin:

outbackpat
07-08-2009, 07:19 AM
You did good turning the other cheek. Sound's like he was looking for a fight, maybe he couldn't find any fish to give him one, so you were his next option.
Sometimes walking away is the best option.............for the a-hole!:D

zabbo
07-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Need to borrow a quote from someone on the board. No disrespect intended, it just fits so well.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT, THEY WILL BRING YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND DESTROY YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

Give that spot another chance and you are sure to have a better day! :wave:

Nationwide
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
What a great thread :lol::lol::lol:

jpohlic
07-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I'd load my rod with as much lead weight as I could cast and let it fly in his general direction.

Then, judging from the way he was driving like an idiot and beached his boat 10 feet away and didn't see you, I'd take the numbers off his boat and report a "suspected drunk boater" to the RCMP.

Shmag
07-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Well i have lived in Slave since 92. I have fished the lake and the river since then. I have alot of buddies running jet boat's, none are red and grey. I have seen a red and grey one on the lake about 2 weeks ago, but they were not local. I know where you were fishing and most of the locals don't fish it, they have alot of better spots farther down river. The people that i see fishing by themselves are people that are camping here for a week or so and their wives are fished out by then so the guy leave's solo. So it is quite the oposite, the locals have to many guy's to pick and choose from to have to fish alone. None the less it's pretty ignorant, but beleive me i see alot of brain dead things every year from the launch to the water. I don't think any lake would be different.

I would send a letter to the editer in the local papers(Lakeside leader or spotlight are the local ones) but you never took action then so why now. Maybe by chance the guy will read it, maybe it will make more people aware, MAYBE but probably not.

Bottom line is common sense isn't as common anymore, anyway to show you some slave lake hospitality if you want to come back to spend your money in Slave lake, pm me and i will take you out for walleye on my boat, 21ft tracker you just buy the bait. Take care

sourdough doug
07-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi again jr
Just a thought, late as it may be but if you could edit your heading to read - fishing trip ruined by JERK - then the "painting" that I referred to would only be one coat ...:lol:

Waxy
07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi again jr
Just a thought, late as it may be but if you could edit your heading to read - fishing trip ruined by JERK - then the "painting" that I referred to would only be one coat ...:lol:

...and maybe a big hug and a cookie would help too. :D

Waxy

sourdough doug
07-08-2009, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=zabbo;346833]Need to borrow a quote from someone on the board. No disrespect intended, it just fits so well.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT, THEY WILL BRING YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND DESTROY YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.:wave:

Cal
07-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I fish that stretch in a canoe alot and I can tell you I run into some pretty big jerks from time to time and yes some of them are locals. The boat sounds like one that I see around that area once in a while. I usualy just fish elsewhere, if you know where to drift/ troll you can catch more out of the main chanel than out of that hole, takes a little more elbow grease though. If your ever headed back up this way let me know and I'll show you a few of the not so obvious holes.

hal53
07-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi again jr
agree, in hindsight could have said "jerk at slave lake"..sounds not too nice the other way..... easy mistake to make though....

Cal
07-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Meh, theres plenty of jerks everywhere. His jerk could have just as easily been from slave as anywhere else. I'm from slave and I'm a pretty big jerk and quite anoying as well, I guess I can see how some people would get offended being put in the same catagory as me though.:)