PDA

View Full Version : Sherburne, Chin or Ridge Reservoirs ?

floppychicken
07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey all,

I'm heading out tomorrow for a couple of days and was thinking about hitting one or two of these reservoirs. I've never been to either before so I thought I'd get some information / advice on boating hazards and quality of fishery at this time of year.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated !

Cheers,

/FC....

floppychicken
07-07-2009, 08:12 PM
...while I'm at it, does anyone have any information on ANY of the other reservoirs in the SOUTH. 12 mile, Grassy, 40 mile, etc, etc..

I haven't fished anywhere below Travers.....

Thanks again,

/FC...

Fishfinder
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Went to 40 mile for first time bout a month ago. Got there around 8p.m. and camped overnight. Went for a quick cruise of the res on our ghetto boat in the evening and wrangled a few pike. Went straight across the res from the boat launch and trolled along a canal for a couple hrs b4 dark. Managed 5 pike between two of us. In the morn we really patrolled the lake (more cruising than fishing) and caught 5 more pike in a couple hrs. Nothing large n no walleyes but I am pretty sure there are some good holes there. Pretty calm weather, large lake, lotsa massive R.V.s (we were the only ones tenting...not sure if its even allowed lol - we were in overflow jus cause it was super close to the launch), never seen anyone the whole time including park staff? Had a gr8 time n with more knowledge of the lake I am sure we woulda done quite well. Hope this helps a bit?

nicemustang
07-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Here is a link to the maps of the lakes. That should get you started with locating holes and structure.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffices/prairies/fisheriesmanagement/bathymetrymapscolour.aspx

Fishfinder
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Here is a link to the maps of the lakes. That should get you started with locating holes and structure.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffices/prairies/fisheriesmanagement/bathymetrymapscolour.aspx

Gr8 link. Thanx for sharing Mustang!

nicemustang
07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
And at Sherburne, there is dangerous shallow rocks and ridges and an island SE of the boat launch on the south side of lake. Be careful there, some rock even stick out the top of the water. All depends on water level. I guess the shore line to fish is the north one anyway....i'd be looking at the drop offs and try from 15-45 FOW to find the fish.

npauls
07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
ridge and st. mary are both turning on pretty good for walleyes. I have heard that chin is fishing well but havent made my way out to chin or sherburn in awhile. Good luck and have fun

Nate

floppychicken
07-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks People !

That should help quite a bit... I just didn't want to get down there and find that the reservoirs were too low to fish or that the Algae Blooms were so big I wouldn't be able to see the water ! :)

BTW, which reservoirs offer some shelter during the winds ? I was looking at Ridge and it looks like there are lots of places to hunker down outta' the wind.

Cheers,

/FC...

nicemustang
07-08-2009, 09:37 AM
None of them do IMO, it's freaky windy down there and all face the same way. I'd bet 40 mile would be best because it's narrower.

Calgary Fisherman
07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey man
I recommend hitting up the Chin Reservoir
Once you go across the bridge or before
Just hit up either side of the bridge if your Shore Fishing
Or you can Pay the 2.50 or 3.00 day use to go off the docks
Up to you, I saw way more action by the bridge forks than I did at the dock
Talk to Donavonszoo
He has a map of that Lake he made himself, he might even meet you out there
I intend on firing him a PM next time I head that way and hopefully meet up again
You might even see him by the bridge forks like I did last time I was there, great guy to chat with.

floppychicken
07-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Hey man
I recommend hitting up the Chin Reservoir
Once you go across the bridge or before
Just hit up either side of the bridge if your Shore Fishing
Or you can Pay the 2.50 or 3.00 day use to go off the docks
Up to you, I saw way more action by the bridge forks than I did at the dock
Talk to Donavonszoo
He has a map of that Lake he made himself, he might even meet you out there
I intend on firing him a PM next time I head that way and hopefully meet up again
You might even see him by the bridge forks like I did last time I was there, great guy to chat with.

Hey that sounds like a plan ! Because of 'unforseen circumstances' we were not able to make it down there and only had time for a short 'Day Trip' to Travers Reservoir instead (looks like the weather isn't co-operating anyway !).

All was not in vain however, as we were able to pull out about 20 fish and a 68 CM WALLEYE! :D

Thanks again everyone for all the information and valuable advice ! When I 'DO' get down there, i'll be suitably armed :evilgrin:

Cheers,

/FC....

Calgary Fisherman
07-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Nicely done dude
I plan on getting my Walleye from there Friday
Was going today, then I hit the highway and starting hearing on the radio for
Toronado Warnings, sat there and thought about it
A Fish really worth seeing a Tornado First Hand??? LOL
So, I headed back to Calgary
Not sure if I'm taking the boat, or shore fishing out of the spillway towards the lake
Can't stand it when I see people inside the spillway fishing, True Poacher, True BS
Hope none of that way going on when you where there, be sure to tell em to get the hell out of there.

floppychicken
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Nicely done dude
I plan on getting my Walleye from there Friday
Was going today, then I hit the highway and starting hearing on the radio for
Toronado Warnings, sat there and thought about it
A Fish really worth seeing a Tornado First Hand??? LOL
So, I headed back to Calgary
Not sure if I'm taking the boat, or shore fishing out of the spillway towards the lake
Can't stand it when I see people inside the spillway fishing, True Poacher, True BS
Hope none of that way going on when you where there, be sure to tell em to get the hell out of there.

Thanks, this is the first Walleye that I've ever kept myself...

I agree, a fish isn't worth capsizing the boat or getting carried away by the freakin' wind ! :scared: heh, heh..

Yesterday was the SLOWEST (traffic) I have ever seen at that reservoir. There were literally no campers that I could see on the left side when you come in and drive down to the launch. There might have been six boats in total that were moored and another two in the water and 3 others fishing... It was unbelievably slow even though the weather was beautiful.

Also, there wasn't a single person at the spillway except for an older couple that were anchored in a small inflatable just in front of the spillway. They looked like they were having a nice relaxing time too...:)

Anyhow, the fish at the SPILLWAY were NON-EXISTANT ! I trolled around there for about an hour (over the shelfs, in the flats, S-Turns, you name it...) and didn't see SQUAT ! It was really kinda weird cause EVERY other time I would normally pick up TONS of FISH when the old Spillway was working. There just didn't seem to be anything there....:confused:

However, one thing I am certain about, is what I'm having for dinner tonight ! :D

Cheers,

/FC...

Calgary Fisherman
07-09-2009, 02:02 PM
The Spillway area was dead ???
Surprising, think we are taking the boat tomorrow

You got some good spots to recommend???
I know its a long ride from the launch area in the park to the spillway, im sure there are plenty of spots to troll along and try out.

I just got done salting around 100 minnows, and 40-50 smelts for
Me, my Brother, Mom and Dad HEH

Making sure we have a blast tomorrow
Still got a nice salted amount for my next trip

Calgary Fisherman
07-09-2009, 02:07 PM
O yea
Forgot to ask
I assume there is a Boat Launch Charge ???? Or a Day use Charge if we head into the little bow park??
Curious if you paid anything for the day to be out there.

nicemustang
07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
No it's free.