PDA

View Full Version : Fillet knife sharpening in edmonton

Fishwhere
07-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Hey i have a few really high end filleting knives that i need sharpened in edmonton. I have been sharpening for years but these knives i find difficult for some reason even with different styles of sharpening and different stones. When they came from the guy who made them in ontario they were scary sharp. I think the other reason i get subconciously nervous is the price tag on them haha.

Ideally what i would prefer is a higher end custom knife maker. But another option is fine too. (I will be extremely unlikely to use any sort of motorized commercial sharpener) just a stone, or belt sharpening type of a thing preferred.

grouse_hunter
07-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Nice knives! I recall that Russel Hendrix (https://www.russellhendrix.com/topic/storeEdmonton2) has a professional knife sharpening service in the store.

trigger7mm
07-28-2019, 12:06 PM
Beautiful knives. I can see why you want to take good care of them. I use a worksharp belt sharpener on my filleting knives, and it works very well for me. For knives like those, I can see how you want them professionally sharpened, but for everyday knives, the worksharp is excellent.

Fishwhere
07-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Little ironic i have these nice knives and im gun shy to sharpen them.... haha

SamSteele
07-28-2019, 01:48 PM
I’ve used Knifewear on Whyte ave before. They carry extremely expensive Japanese knives and sharpen them in store. They were reasonably priced and did a good job on mine.

Red Bullets
07-28-2019, 02:43 PM
Kent of Englewood on Whyte ave sharpens knives and razors too. Right beside Knifewear. 108 str.

CNP
07-28-2019, 08:02 PM
If you use them you're going to have to keep them sharp. if you need the knife sharp today you're not going have sharp knives to cut your fish. These do a great job and I sharpen fillet knives regularly and whenever needed:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sharp-010-Filet-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B0027VRU7G/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=fillet+knife+sharpener&qid=1564365504&s=gateway&sr=8-4

bushnell
07-28-2019, 08:03 PM
Knifewear does an excellent job. No machines used there, all on a stone. Just had one of mine done there. Easy to recommend them

1bigdingo
07-29-2019, 12:21 AM
My cousin owns EDGEucated mobile sharpening. He could do it for sure

Dean2
07-29-2019, 01:37 AM
Really nice knives but if you are afraid to sharpen them yourself then to me they aren't very useful. Hang them on the wall and go get a good quality commercial knife that you are willing to use and sharpen. Even a professionally sharpened fillet knife is going to need to be touched up after a couple of dozen fish, I can't imagine running to a sharpening store that often to resharpen my fillet knife.

I would suggest a Diamond set of Lansky sharpening stones. With reasonable care, they will sharpen your knives perfectly with no extraneous marking on the blades.

-JR-
07-29-2019, 04:34 AM
If you use them you're going to have to keep them sharp. if you need the knife sharp today you're not going have sharp knives to cut your fish. These do a great job and I sharpen fillet knives regularly and whenever needed:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sharp-010-Filet-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B0027VRU7G/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=fillet+knife+sharpener&qid=1564365504&s=gateway&sr=8-4

2x on these sharpeners ,i picked mine up at WSS . for the same price ,
i 've used many others , some even look like the above but do not work . this brand knows how to make them . i have one in the house ,one in my tackle box and one in my hunting box. Cabelas or pro bass do not sell them and do not buy there look a likes they do not work .

I have a lansky sharpener and every time you give your blade a strike, your off a degree. these are right on every time.

Fishwhere
07-29-2019, 06:31 AM
Really nice knives but if you are afraid to sharpen them yourself then to me they aren't very useful. Hang them on the wall and go get a good quality commercial knife that you are willing to use and sharpen. Even a professionally sharpened fillet knife is going to need to be touched up after a couple of dozen fish, I can't imagine running to a sharpening store that often to resharpen my fillet knife.

I would suggest a Diamond set of Lansky sharpening stones. With reasonable care, they will sharpen your knives perfectly with no extraneous marking on the blades.

I have other nice knives i sharpen myself. And you should only br sharpening every 6 months or so, the rest is just touch ups with a strap or honing rod. If youve ever used lansky sharpening on anything around 6” and up it starts wrecking your degrees. The middle holding point and a couple inches each way will be near the degrees you want - outside of that it starts tapering your angle down because its so far away from the holder and its being extended too far. I had lanskys and after seeing that i sold them quick. Ok for short knives but i prefer free hand and stone that has a constant degree along the entire edge.

Dean2
07-29-2019, 08:19 AM
I have other nice knives i sharpen myself. And you should only br sharpening every 6 months or so, the rest is just touch ups with a strap or honing rod. If youve ever used lansky sharpening on anything around 6” and up it starts wrecking your degrees. The middle holding point and a couple inches each way will be near the degrees you want - outside of that it starts tapering your angle down because its so far away from the holder and its being extended too far. I had lanskys and after seeing that i sold them quick. Ok for short knives but i prefer free hand and stone that has a constant degree along the entire edge.

I agree that on long bladed knives you have to sharpen a 4 inch strip and then move the knife to sharpen the next 4"s when working with a Lansky. That is all part of learning to use angle holding type sharpeners correctly. If you can hold exactly the same angle on a quality stone that will do a great job but it takes a lot of practice to do that, especially with long bladed fillet knives. If you can do that I I can't see needing a sharpening service but that is up to you. I can't help with a suggestion for anyone I would trust with nice knives like you have as I have never used a sharpening service.

Kim473
07-29-2019, 08:33 AM
I’ve used Knifewear on Whyte ave before. They carry extremely expensive Japanese knives and sharpen them in store. They were reasonably priced and did a good job on mine.

Kent of Englewood on Whyte ave sharpens knives and razors too. Right beside Knifewear. 108 str.

Check their web sites.

Walleyemagnet
07-29-2019, 11:06 PM
I use the Lansky sharpening system on all my knives and it gets them sharp enough to shave with. I don’t know how expensive your knives are but I think I wouldn’t hesitate to sharpen any knife with the Lansky. The most expensive fillet knives I have are a couple of Grohman and a couple chef grade Henkells and I sharpen them without a problem.

EZM
07-30-2019, 06:01 PM
I recently bought a nice set of big japanese bench stones from knifewear and I have used (and still own) the 5 stone Lansky, the worksharp pro belt sander, a older commercial bench sharpener and they all have their place BUT for sharp knives a real wet stone is the ticket. Even an idiot like me with no patience can take an expensive kitchen knife, a cheap folding blade or even a fillet knife and put a razor edge on it.

If it's an axe - use the commercial wheel, if it's a knife that needs some material removed first, use the worksharp sander, but for touch ups and regular sharpening (or finishing after using the worksharp, the stones are the ticket.

Tigrr
07-31-2019, 09:36 PM
I would never use a cheap carbide sharpener on a quality knife. Watch a u tube video on how to sharpen your brand of knife. I sharpen 100 + knives a year and it isn't rocket science. I butcher my own moose, bear, deer, pigs, beef, chickens, fish, geese and grouse. Our group butchers a whole moose with only touch-ups with a steel. My Victorinox knives.