PDA

View Full Version : Calling Lake water quality

calvin
07-31-2019, 08:03 AM
Just wondering if someone has been up in the last couple of days to report on how the water is looking. Was up there a few weeks ago and was still decent, going up on the long weekend coming up and am just curious. Thanks....

Drewski Canuck
07-31-2019, 09:52 AM
Calvin,

Fished Saturday and Sunday and no Algae. There were quite a few suspended casings in the water from the mayfly hatch, and at times alot of them in the air. But otherwise the water was still clear and clean.

With all the rain the lake has not heated up and the lake level is going up nicely so it will flush the top overnight leaving clear water in the AM.

I am in the townsite, so it may be different in the SE Corner at Poplar Street beach, because that is the direction the wind blows everything and the river is about 2 miles to the north, but otherwise, pretty nice water so far.

IF the lake gets skunky, run to the Northwest corner, where the Rock Island River comes in. The water runs through alot of muskeg which knocks the PH just enough to keep the water clear for about a mile offshore. It just has a tea coloured stain to it. Even in the hottest and calmest days of August, the northwest corner has nice clean water.

Drewski

calvin
07-31-2019, 05:36 PM
Thanks Drewski, we just a small Lund with an electric motor. So no cruising to the nw end.

CptnBlues63
08-02-2019, 02:39 PM
Was out there this past Wednesday. Arrived about 5 pm and put the boat in at the boat launch in the provincial park. Water was starting to get a green scum on it *sigh*

What scum there was sitting on top was right up against the shore and didn't extend out too far but there was junk suspended in the water column that I wasn't seeing on my last trip out two weekends back.

F&W was on scene, basically hiding behind bushes watching the launch when we arrived. He was still there when we left around 8pm. In fact, we were the last boat he checked before taking off.

I usually run into the F&W like this at least twice every summer.

Oh, they're still biting good. We caught 30+ between the three of us.

Quigley2000
08-03-2019, 06:09 AM
What’s it like in terms of size of fish? I’ve heard it to be good but that’s pretty subjective.

Thanks

CptnBlues63
08-12-2019, 01:40 PM
What’s it like in terms of size of fish? I’ve heard it to be good but that’s pretty subjective.

Thanks

Slot size is 45 cm to 55 cm (18" to 22") and out of the 30 we caught, I'd say 6 were either too big, or too small. The rest were in the slot size.

Two of my friends were out one evening last week and only caught about 15 fish and had to go deeper to get them (no surprise, it's August after all) so they're still there and still biting and the two of them had no problem catching a keeper each to take home.

Sorry I was so slow responding, was away all last week.