PDA

View Full Version : Cold lake aug long

Teamprotz
08-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Anyone brave the wind and head out the last couple days ? Son and I are heading up tomorrow hoping the thunder storms hold off long enough to get a few hours in

mikebossy
08-06-2019, 04:25 PM
i didnt but saw some did, on the Alberta Fishing Buddies site on Facebook, did you go? how'd you make out?

Weavster
08-06-2019, 09:30 PM
We toughed it out for the weekend as I had some people come up to visit.

Saturday it got pretty rough mid day we ended up taking cover in french bay and still managed to find a few decent schools of fish feeding on some bait to salvage the second half of the day.

Sunday was still pretty rough on the main lake so we went back to french bay again and had a pretty decent day jigging.

Monday the lake was starting to calm down and we managed to get out on the main lake to my normal spots and we hooked into some really nice fish once again.

Met up with a few anglers from here and the facebook groups it was nice to meet up and see everyone and share stories of successful days out on the water!

Teamprotz
08-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Son and I didn't fair so well. We got out to our spots but found the bait had dropped deep , only managed a few fish and lost a bunch. Did have one guy come too close and get my anchor rope. Packed it in about 230 as the wind started to get up. I'll be back !!

Frank_NK28
08-06-2019, 10:56 PM
We fished Lac La Plonge instead. Were able to get out between storms a couple times friday and saturday and caught a bunch of lakers in the 2-6lb range. We kept our limit to bring home for the smoker and headed home a day earlier than planned due to weather and deciding to keep a few saturday to fill our limit.

Weavster
08-06-2019, 11:18 PM
Son and I didn't fair so well. We got out to our spots but found the bait had dropped deep , only managed a few fish and lost a bunch. Did have one guy come too close and get my anchor rope. Packed it in about 230 as the wind started to get up. I'll be back !!

That was you guys with the Ranger and the Orange anchor bouy. We launched just before you guys in the Lund. Next time ill swing over to say hi!

-JR-
08-07-2019, 06:09 AM
We toughed it out for the weekend as I had some people come up to visit.

Saturday it got pretty rough mid day we ended up taking cover in french bay and still managed to find a few decent schools of fish feeding on some bait to salvage the second half of the day.

Sunday was still pretty rough on the main lake so we went back to french bay again and had a pretty decent day jigging.

Monday the lake was starting to calm down and we managed to get out on the main lake to my normal spots and we hooked into some really nice fish once again.

Met up with a few anglers from here and the facebook groups it was nice to meet up and see everyone and share stories of successful days out on the water!

I am heading out next Wed for five Days ,were the fish at french bay shallow at 80 ft or deeper in the 120 ft area in front of french.

Teamprotz
08-07-2019, 06:29 AM
Blue tracker targa with orange ball. Gotta try get one more trip before we roll into fall sturgeon.

Weavster
08-07-2019, 04:45 PM
I am heading out next Wed for five Days ,were the fish at french bay shallow at 80 ft or deeper in the 120 ft area in front of french.

We caught fish all over the place. We were up to 50-60ft range at times. THe majority of our fish came in the 95-110ft range tho.

Blue tracker targa with orange ball. Gotta try get one more trip before we roll into fall sturgeon.

Yep we were fishing just off to the west of you past Garnett on Monday morning. I'm hoping for a couple more days out before the season winds down

58thecat
08-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Ahhhhhhrrrggg.....my outboard motor......putt putt stop....repeat....primer ball, hose,tank, fuel filter, plugs, carb, fuel pump....running:sHa_shakeshout:.....no water come out.....water pump impeller.....waiting for part to arrive....save some fish for me boys:(

Teamprotz
08-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Mine wouldn’t hold fuel pressure last time out. Pulled floor panel out to my inspect line and found a rib spot that was worn enough to suck air but not leak fuel. Fixed that and it ran much better this week

Willowtrail
08-08-2019, 01:22 PM
I know the guy that hooked your anchor rope how much line do you end up having out by the time you’re stretched out in 100’?

I trolled by you once a bit close trying to keep my riggers off the sand and didn’t hook you. I heard you got some snubbers, hooks and releases.

Teamprotz
08-08-2019, 04:23 PM
150 ft of rope and 20ft of chain. Just a swivel , anchovie head and a treble

Teamprotz
08-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Part of the reason I try avoid crowds

58thecat
08-09-2019, 05:33 AM
Part of the reason I try avoid crowds

Yup can be like the Walmart parking lot on payday.......with every other person on thier phone.....

Impeller came in, installed....motor ran beauty.....so back to the old stumping grounds this wk-end:sHa_shakeshout:

7 REM MAG
08-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Supposed to be out that way sept 1-4, do many people fish for trout on cold in September? Also does anyone mind sharing what they troll with? Never fished cold lake or for lake trout in Alberta before.

Thx

Weavster
08-10-2019, 05:06 AM
Supposed to be out that way sept 1-4, do many people fish for trout on cold in September? Also does anyone mind sharing what they troll with? Never fished cold lake or for lake trout in Alberta before.

Thx

The long weekend is usually busy then it starts to wind down as the laker season comes to a close.

I like to troll Anchovie rigs, Northern King Mag Spoons, Ocasionally T60's and cuttbaits.

Weavster
08-10-2019, 05:07 AM
Yup can be like the Walmart parking lot on payday.......with every other person on thier phone.....

Impeller came in, installed....motor ran beauty.....so back to the old stumping grounds this wk-end:sHa_shakeshout:

Good Luck out there looking forward to seeing some big fish!!

58thecat
08-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Good Luck out there looking forward to seeing some big fish!!

Well was out yesterday, 9 caught, no keepers per say, lots of hits, a few double headers, nothing on the jigs so went to trolling, pink lady, willow leaf for attractant, 3 feet behind apex trolling luhr 4.5" brown trout....at a depth of 50 feet of water trolling in 200 feet of water.....fish finder was indicating fish at all depths....just a blast!

Was choppy for a bit but the Ol'motor ran like she was brand new:sHa_shakeshout:

Now back to the 30lbs quest.....

58thecat
08-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Shhhhhh don't share this secret.....I keep it simple stupid and slam the lakers on this rig......we have one running about 70 feet and the other at 50 feet...of course we change colors etc until we find what they like but they luv the brown trout luhr.

-JR-
08-11-2019, 10:20 AM
I will be out there Wed - Sunday ...Downriggers will be snapping !

Water looks good on your post ...no white caps .

looks like you are on the hump

58thecat
08-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Just got off the water....first ten minutes we had a double header...one of two in a few hours....no legal keepers but we hammered them...200' of water trolling 50-70 feet....lots of hits too lures taking a beating!

Weavster
08-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Just got off the water....first ten minutes we had a double header...one of two in a few hours....no legal keepers but we hammered them...200' of water trolling 50-70 feet....lots of hits too lures taking a beating!

Sounds like a pretty awesome day on the water to say the least!!

7 REM MAG
08-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Thx for all the info guys!

Teamprotz
08-12-2019, 02:09 PM
JR , I’ll try track you down on Saturday !

58thecat
08-13-2019, 05:35 AM
Thx for all the info guys!

Yup, laker fishin ain't rocket science especially in this lake cuz it is loaded.....in addition to the 4.5" brown trout Color my wife had the same luhr on just in rainbow trout colors......only thing that prevents you from catching is the wind as this lake is big and open and if she gets windy out sure as poop one end of the lake is rockin'.

58thecat
08-17-2019, 07:50 AM
Well was at crappy tire yesterday....no pink ladies, no willow leafs and no 4.5" colours I mentioned to use left on the shelf.....hope you folks hammer them or I will look like a fool....again:)

High winds and cold out......:sign0176:

Teamprotz
08-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Don’t have a big enough boat for this wind so going sturgeon hunting tonight instead

fish99
08-18-2019, 07:28 PM
we were out august 12 - 15 calm most of the time never had to use the down riggers , the bite was on jigging , slayed them from 50 feet to 128 feet. see the arcs on the humming bird , deploy the minn koda anchor lock and fish on .

Teamprotz
08-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Those are the best days.

-JR-
08-19-2019, 06:12 AM
It was white caps most of the week. Thursday morning was nice weather caught 14 lakers in 2 hrs then went in for breakfast .The afternoon bite was slower.
Friday- sunday was white cap city

58thecat
08-19-2019, 07:07 AM
It was white caps most of the week. Thursday morning was nice weather caught 14 lakers in 2 hrs then went in for breakfast .The afternoon bite was slower.
Friday- sunday was white cap city

Yup too much for my mighty vessel....cold too.....

-JR-
08-21-2019, 04:29 AM
Yup too much for my mighty vessel....cold too.....

What does your boat look like .Might of seen you out there.

58thecat
08-21-2019, 05:44 AM
What does your boat look like .Might of seen you out there.

Oh she is a mighty vessel of 14' with a power punching 15 horse Honda on it....two large comfy seats elevated on 6" pedestals....crestliner but goes by her name of shadow dancer.....always name your vessels....most time I am down below making sandwhiches and watching the ball game on the 80" flat screen...:)