PDA

View Full Version : shore fishing near Sooke BC?

slipbobber
07-09-2009, 06:02 AM
We are going out to Victoria Aug 15. Will be staying out at Sooke and we will be getting a guide to take us out fishing for a couple days. Is there any point takeing a rod with us to try fishing from shore or maybe a nearby river while we are there? How big of a rod and reel would one need and what kind of tackle would we need?

colour86
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
im heading to sooke on the 14th of august lol. not going on a guided tour or anything, but it would be nice to see if there is any shore fishing from anywhere.

Unregistered user
07-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Otter point in Sooke, cast large Buzz-bombs.

Cappy
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Otter Point and Beechy Head are good places to cast from shore. Buzz Bombs work well as do Zingers

JessePat
07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I agree with the above posts. I grew up in Sooke and have seen 10lbs+ caught from shore. Pink buzz bombs work well. While you are in Sooke check out Eagle Eye Outfitters. They are friends of the family and have great local knowledge. They are a tackle shop so they will set you up with everything you need. If you are down there and you enjoy crab you can go crabbing. You can rent a crab trap for about 5 bucks and all you need is a BC fishing license. Go to either Village foods or Western foods (the local grocery stores) and pick up chicken backs or fish heads and head out to the local docks. You will definitely see seals while you are down there. If you are getting a guide I would suggest getting a guide for Port Renfrew and where the famous swift shore banks are. Amazing halibut and salmon fishing. You can do both near the same spot. Good luck

DarkAisling
07-13-2009, 10:03 PM
If you are down there and you enjoy crab you can go crabbing.

I second this . . . a friend of mine has a property with a dock in Sooke. We'd drop the traps at the end of the dock in the morning, and have crab for dinner. Zero effort and a great payoff :D

nube
07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
I fished on the dock in port Renfrew last year and caught a bunch of perch looking things. They were good sized fish as well. Probably a foot long and very round. Spike dorsal fin. Anybody know what they are and if they are any good to eat? I plan on doing it again this year and might bring some of them home with me if they are any good to eat.
I'm thinking they are some sort of a bass or perch but I could be wrong. They were a dark grey or black if I remember right.

nicholal
07-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Nube I think they are Rock cod. Very tastey poached with hollandize (sp)sause

AL

The Fisherman Guy
07-14-2009, 04:40 PM
I have had luck off the Breakwater in Victoria, just off of Ogden Point on Dallas Road. Try buzz bombs (keep them off bottom or you have a new expensive hobby!) I had luck there in the past with a 2oz weight and an anchovy on a bottom bouncing style rig. BIG ling! BIIIIG ling! You will have to fight through the kelp though. Try off the very end as well with big silver spoons for passing Salmon.

X3 on the Crabbing. You can buy traps at all outfitter shops on the coast, starting at 9.99. My secret bait for crabbing/shrimping/prawning.... Clams and Salmon roe. Throw 5 or 6 clams in a old sock, the older the better!, and smack them with a hammer. Throw a skein of roe in there and tie it tight to your trap!! Seals will maul your trap if they want your bait badly enough, but they usually only go for salmon bits used as bait.

Nube they could be Pile perch, they grow to about 45cm, http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/images/species/pilepeh2.jpg I bet it was either Pile perch, Rock cod (like Nicholal suggested), http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/images/species/quillba2.jpg
either way they taste great!!
Good luck!

nube
07-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey , great job on the pictures. I think if I remember it looks a lot like the top picture. The commercial guys said a few of the ones I hauled up were big. The fight was good as well I thought. I would love to catch a afew of those ling. Caught a few small ones while we were trolling for Salmon. I will have to fillet a few of them I guess. Perch should be great tasting and an added bonus to the pile of fish.
What does a guy have to leave on to transport them or show proof of type of fish? I will check with my guide before I do anything but it would be good to know the limits and stuff before I get there to make room in the cooler or tak another one with me for perch.

Unregistered user
07-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Closer to Vic, try Ten Mile point. X2 on the breakwater, Capital Iron used to sell the "Breakwater special" which was a cheap white lead-head jig with a tail for 2 bits a pop and it worked as well as anything in the kelp. A chunk of pile-worm off a bobber in the kelp is deadly too.

slipbobber
08-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Well Sooke has come and gone for this year but I'll be back. The trip out there was mainly a trip for my Mom as she has never been on a airplane before. We did get a few chances to go fishing and we went crabing every day we were there. A couple locals took me fishing for pinks one day and had a blast and learned how to use a knuckle buster. We hired a guide to take us out salmon fishing for Chinooks and this guy knew his stuff. After two hour we had our limit of 6 on board. It was our first time out there fishing but certainly won't be the last.

Walleyes
08-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Nice to hear you had a fun trip..

You are right in that Sooke is a nice place and if you hit it right the fishing can be fantastic.