PDA

View Full Version : Gull lake white fish won't bite

Amateur Hunter
08-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Was on lake again today targeting Walleye but also was marking schools of white fish in middle water column
After running out of minnows I Tried wireworms for WF ( few I had with me) but couldn't get a single bite
Is there anything else beside wireworms that you guys use in summer for white fish?

300magman
08-17-2019, 10:50 PM
Ive had good luck using a slip bobber set about a foot or so off bottom with a wire worm. If the wire worms arent doing the trick a small spoon on a slip bobber, then jig it hard, let it flutter back down and repeating can often get some hits. I seem to catch bigger ones with the spoon, less fish but better quality.

kinwahkly
08-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Bead head Chironomid

slough shark
08-18-2019, 01:43 PM
A lot of it may have to do with the time of day, I’ve had way more luck for whitefish early in the morning vs the rest of the day

Amateur Hunter
08-18-2019, 02:55 PM
A lot of it may have to do with the time of day, I’ve had way more luck for whitefish early in the morning vs the rest of the day

What do you use in the morning ( if you don't mind me asking)
I usually start fishing around 7am , I think that is early enough

Amateur Hunter
08-18-2019, 02:59 PM
Bead head Chironomid

What colour works for you?
Is 4 lb line good enough? Or should I go 6 ?

slough shark
08-18-2019, 03:28 PM
What do you use in the morning ( if you don't mind me asking)
I usually start fishing around 7am , I think that is early enough

I’ve always gone after whites cruising the shallows early using wireworms, if it’s calm it’s fun to site fish them, it’s been a fairly steady strategy in most lakes for me