PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Lake fishing

fishing_flower
07-09-2009, 08:06 AM
We leave tomorrow night after work for our trip to Kootenay lake...2 WEEKS:D We are staying at Woodbury's resort on the main part of the lake.

Was wondering if anyone has any info on good spots we can head to. Thinking about the bass in the south end and the trout of course. We have downriggers and fish finders etc. Any info would really be appreciated.
I have a bathemetric map I'll be taking with me, and will mark spots we find for the google shared fishing map.:D

We are also taking our little pump up boat with us to be able to go on some of the little lakes in the area. Any suggestions?

bowfin
07-09-2009, 11:17 AM
its good fishing right out front of woodbury off the point is good talk to the guy at the marina he will tell you what working they got good fly selection there get some lyman lures they sell them at wholesale sports blues,blacks,and purple are good colors to choose in the 4-6 inch size.get some of those apex lures also same colors all fish will be deep 100-150 ft if its windy and theres good waves thats a good time to pull flys good luck and post some pics

yardslave
07-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Woodberry south or north of Kaslo? Did'nt know there was bass in Kootenay Lake!! Only figured trout, Havent fished much south of Kaslo, only north, Stayed at Shroeder Creek Resort, Always had luck right out front of the resort to the left out by the little light house on the point, just circled that area, big circles!! Have caught Gerrard, Dollies and of course Bows, all on big buck flies. Had quite a bit of luck just trolling by huge rock faces. Fished a couple of times south of Kaslo and had a few fish under the power lines that cross the lake. Quit goin there bout 3 years ago when the quantity of fish caught went waaay down. Good luck and post a report when you get back

PoorTurtle
07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
fished there last april. south of kaslo mostly. apex worked great, and big flies. the bass are hard to find, i heard there are only at the very south end. have a good trip

fishing_flower
07-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Thank you guys for the tips on spots and lures to use.:D:D I'll let everyone know how we do. We head out right after work today.:wave:

Johnny
07-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Just ask Terry at Woodbury or Lex at Jones Boys Boats. (they are brothers) The big trout will be down a little deeper this time of year. THere is some good surface fly fishing in the evening up on the west arm. You can bounce some bucktails off the bottom near the Harrop ferry for dollies. As for small lakes, head over from Kaslo to Nakusp. Just south of there are two small lakes called Summitt and Box Lake. You can fish from shore or a small boat. They are my favorite fly lakes in the area. No motors allowed on Box and there is a bait ban. Best to hit them in the evening or morning. Good luck.