PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Newell Walleyes

WinefredCommander
08-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Holding onto Class A walleye tags and am wondering if I should be in a rush to fill them? or are walleye caught in the winter on Newell? I've heard quite a few differing opinions on ice fishing it as its ice quality(safety) varies greatly throughout the season.

Appreciate the tips.

Wes_G
08-26-2019, 04:45 PM
Holding onto Class A walleye tags and am wondering if I should be in a rush to fill them? or are walleye caught in the winter on Newell? I've heard quite a few differing opinions on ice fishing it as its ice quality(safety) varies greatly throughout the season.

Appreciate the tips.

I would fill them now.

calgarygringo
08-26-2019, 04:48 PM
If you know the lake I would not hesitate to hold them. If you dont I would suggest getting out in a boat later in the fall once we cool down and they go into winter fattening up mode.

WinefredCommander
08-26-2019, 05:34 PM
Does ice fishing not exist for walleye there?

pikergolf
08-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Newell is a big lake for the SE. With the warming that is going on the ice can be iffy well into the beginning of Feb. I get nervous around here on the deep lakes, some of them have open water all year in some places. A hard cold can change all that of course, but Newell is notorious for springs and if you don't know it you can get into trouble.

calgarygringo
08-26-2019, 06:45 PM
Lots of nice ones caught on the ice as well as many monster pike if you are into them too.

Does ice fishing not exist for walleye there?

madatter
08-30-2019, 09:14 PM
I'm in the same boat....well without a boat😳 sold it
I'll be trying to get my eyes outta there this hard water season as well.

stob
09-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Newell is a big lake for the SE. With the warming that is going on the ice can be iffy well into the beginning of Feb. I get nervous around here on the deep lakes, some of them have open water all year in some places. A hard cold can change all that of course, but Newell is notorious for springs and if you don't know it you can get into trouble.

x2 plus gas seepage on the south end which rots the ice all winter

barbless
09-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Better get out now cause I put my request in for no ice this winter.
As mentioned they will be trying to put on the fat soon. Why wait if you don't have to.

WinefredCommander
09-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Better get out now cause I put my request in for no ice this winter.
As mentioned they will be trying to put on the fat soon. Why wait if you don't have to.

Because its SHEEP SEASON!