PDA

View Full Version : Boat recovery/rescue tow?

blacknorthernjk
08-27-2019, 08:46 AM
Curious, do we have anything in Alberta akin to AMA for boats on the lake? Break down rescue in the middle of a lake?

Kurt505
08-27-2019, 08:51 AM
I think if your boat isn’t sunk that it’s the unwritten law of the water that if your in a boat and see another boat in distresss it’s an unwritten obligation to help. I’d sure hate to have someone go flying by and not stop to help, although there was a guy on cold lake this summer who made it his mission to go flying by the guys trolling about 20yds away. I would have liked to put that guys boat in distress.

Ken07AOVette
08-27-2019, 10:39 AM
I think if your boat isn’t sunk that it’s the unwritten law of the water that if your in a boat and see another boat in distresss it’s an unwritten obligation to help. I’d sure hate to have someone go flying by and not stop to help, although there was a guy on cold lake this summer who made it his mission to go flying by the guys trolling about 20yds away. I would have liked to put that guys boat in distress.

No, there is not.

As for passerby's, you have to catch their attention.

'MOST' decent people will stop and help, but the best thing is to make sure you are seen in distress. Carry flares, a signal mirror, good compressed air horn, make damn sure a passing boat knows you are in trouble. Maybe ask on shore or the dock if there is a service, be prepared before you go out. Cold Lake used to, the bigger ones may. Most do not. Far easier than googling boat help in a storm with the wife paddling away, mad at you lol.

Far too many drunken redneck losers will just wave or look the other way, as they blow back to shore laughing. Don't count on unwritten laws, even written laws don't matter to many.

blacknorthernjk
08-27-2019, 11:07 AM
... in a storm with the wife paddling away, mad at you lol...

Hahaha, this is what I'm looking to avoid...can't see it going over well should things end this way.
A tow recovery service would be so much better

Barry D
08-27-2019, 08:26 PM
You just phone your brother like mine did this summer at calling lake. I'm just get down to the beach with a cup of coffee and my phone rings. My brother is on the other end of the line. "hey brother", he says,"I need your help, my motor crapped out". I ask where he is, he says about 2km off the west shore. So I dropped the boat off the hoist and hustled over and enjoyed my coffee on the way.
I got his tri-haul unto 50 km/hr behind my Lund Tyee, but then pulled him to the boat launch real nice and slow past all the fishermen so they could see a Mercury Verado pull a dead Evenrude to the grave.

Little brother really rubbed it in. LOL

AndrewM
08-28-2019, 07:51 AM
No, there is not.

As for passerby's, you have to catch their attention.

'MOST' decent people will stop and help, but the best thing is to make sure you are seen in distress. Carry flares, a signal mirror, good compressed air horn, make damn sure a passing boat knows you are in trouble. Maybe ask on shore or the dock if there is a service, be prepared before you go out. Cold Lake used to, the bigger ones may. Most do not. Far easier than googling boat help in a storm with the wife paddling away, mad at you lol.

Far too many drunken redneck losers will just wave or look the other way, as they blow back to shore laughing. Don't count on unwritten laws, even written laws don't matter to many.

Does the Canada shipping act apply to lakes?
If so:
Canada Shipping Act
The Canada Shipping Act incorporates international rules into a framework that governs the operation of vessels in Canadian waters. It is the umbrella act under which other boating regulations are developed.

One rule states that pleasure craft operators should watch for signals that indicate distress and need of assistance from other vessels and must come to the aid of another boater in distress unless it means placing their own vessel and lives in danger.

dutchman
08-28-2019, 09:41 AM
I have never heard of any company that does rescues. Not sure on the legal thing, but for sure always help another fellow boater. Mind you, we are on smaller lakes like Gull / Sylvan, so there's always people around and if your boat dies, it's not that far to paddle to shore.
That being said, have helped/tow several dead boats over the years.

Last week was at Sylvan, and a person at the dock was having a few problems. Looked like he knew what was happening but no proper tools. So I gave him my onboard tool kit, while I loaded up my boat. Got it all buttoned up on the trailer and drove away. Half way back home I realized I left the kit behind.
So much for being a nice guy. Oh well, I hope he kept it and went to good use.

blacknorthernjk
08-28-2019, 12:35 PM
I have found Sea-tow, evidentally no one has had any experience with them. A fellow boater tow is certainly very helpful when there are plenty of people available on the lake, but on those quiet days on quieter lakes I would like to be prepared. Guess I'll start saving for a trolling motor

ghostguy6
08-28-2019, 12:38 PM

This is right from the boating course manual, page 62 https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

Distress Signals
If you see a distress signal, the law requires you to see if you can help without risking your life or the safety of your boat. When possible, you must also contact the nearest Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (see CONTACT INFORMATION AND REFERENCES section of this guide) to inform them of the type and location of the distress signal you have seen.