PDA

View Full Version : Bow rests

Dubious
09-01-2019, 10:59 AM
What rests does everyone use for non stationary hunting. I have the rak rest that came with my carbon icon the brushes are worn out and need to be replaced I’ll fix them and use it as a back up just not sure what the best style or brand would be a good fit for non tree stand hunting.

coxy95
09-01-2019, 12:00 PM
I use a Qad HDX and it works really well. You can manually lift the rest which makes it full containment. I’ve also heard good things about Hamskea but haven’t tried one myself.

DiabeticKripple
09-01-2019, 12:04 PM
What rests does everyone use for non stationary hunting. I have the rak rest that came with my carbon icon the brushes are worn out and need to be replaced I’ll fix them and use it as a back up just not sure what the best style or brand would be a good fit for non tree stand hunting.

Mine is the same.

About 250 arrows through it and the bottom brushes are toast.

Pros/Cons of drop away vs whisker biscuit?

Boundless_84
09-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Recently I switched arrows from XX75/78 to Easton FMJs, with a helical fletching. With the helical I needed a different rest, so I picked up a Hamskea Trinity Hunter. Haven't been using it much but so far I like it. Much quieter drawing the FMJs on it than the XX75s were on the Whisker Biscuit.

However I haven't been hunting with it yet. The one potential issue is that it doesn't contain the arrow as securely as the Whisker Biscuit. The Hamskea has a containment ring, but it's obviously much larger than the WB hole. This would only be an issue I think of you had an arrow nocked during a stalk and were maneuvering around trees and bushed etc. Your arrow might flop around depending how you're holding your bow. Having said that, I think it will be a good rest and I've only heard good things about them.

dgrimard
09-01-2019, 07:23 PM
QAD HDX is what I got and is great, been durable hasn't given me any trouble and is quiet when moving with an arrow nocked.
From reveiws can't go wrong with a hamski either just know you will have to hold your arrow when stalking and nocked. I guess to be honest I do the same with the QAD as well.
Either on would be great and group size gets cut in about half from my experience going from a whisker biscuit to a drop away.

6mm rem
09-01-2019, 10:59 PM
I’m running a Hamskea Trinity I really dig it .

DeadEyeGardner
09-02-2019, 06:24 AM
I used to use whisker biscuit style rests, and they were fine. When I wanted to try something new, they guys JimBows Archery set me up with a ripchord Ace drop away rest. It’s a huge improvement in terms of quality and accuracy. It’s very easy to tune and is great for hunting, I use it for all styles of hunting. I’m not brand promoting, there’s probably lots of amazing products out there. But a drop away rest is maybe something to look into.

Bowering
09-02-2019, 11:38 AM
I picked up a nice Ripcord ACE drop away. Was a fair price and I love it. Lots of adjustments. Some say you pick up a little FPS (not to sure how true, guess depending on what youre coming from).

I have zero complaints.

trophyhunter
09-04-2019, 06:19 PM
QAD for me, no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt505
09-05-2019, 03:47 PM
QAD HDX is what I’ve got on my bow, had the Ripcord ACE and liked it, another one I would like to try is the HHA Virtus. I don’t like the whisker biscuit type rests, although handy and a great option for kids, they wear out and are hard on fletched if you’re shooting a lot. I’ve always had good luck with the QAD.

Lefty-Canuck
09-05-2019, 05:54 PM
QAD and a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter.

LC

Prairiekid
09-05-2019, 06:36 PM
QAD HDX, works well.

remmy300
09-06-2019, 12:43 PM
I have used hamskea since they have been available. Zero issues. I am shooting the new trinity hunter. My 0.02 is its the best rest on the market.

Wrangler3878
09-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Shooting a Ripcord Code Red, it's decent but I dislike the fact that it drops when you let down on a potential shot, if you're not paying attention it "plinks" off your shelf and could potentially bugger up a second chance. Does the Ripcord Ace do this as well or did they fix that? I'm leaning toward either the QAD (not sure which one would be "best") or the HHA Virtus as I don't think either of them drop unless you pull the trigger on something. Thoughts?

Deer Hunter
09-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Whisker biscuit here. It’s great for me.

Kurt505
09-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Shooting a Ripcord Code Red, it's decent but I dislike the fact that it drops when you let down on a potential shot, if you're not paying attention it "plinks" off your shelf and could potentially bugger up a second chance. Does the Ripcord Ace do this as well or did they fix that? I'm leaning toward either the QAD (not sure which one would be "best") or the HHA Virtus as I don't think either of them drop unless you pull the trigger on something. Thoughts?

The QAD, Virtus, and Ace all stay up on let down.

Jamie Black R/T
09-13-2019, 10:55 AM
QAD HDX on both my bows...awesome rests and lifetime warranty.

DiabeticKripple
09-16-2019, 04:05 AM
picked up a QAD HDX off amazon for $150. hopefully it does the trick!

lastlatvian
09-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Ripcord on my carbon icon works well, I think the other brands mentioned are good as well. I've used it two seasons in temps from 27 C to -30 C no issue, usually my pep sight gets twisted when it's that cold anyways. Got it from Jim Bows and noticed my groups got a bit closer, especially when you throw the shot a bit since the rest is out of the way once you release.