PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan Lake advice

Big Racks
09-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Heading out to Sheridan Lake tomorrow morning for 4-5 days at Sheridan Lake Resort. Never fished this big chunk of real estate before, and am looking forward to doing some exploring on the water.

Am coming prepared for almost anything. Bringing a couple of trolling rods/reels spooled with 5 or so colours of lead core and 100'-ish of 8lb leader. Also an 8wt fly rod and reel spooled with the same. A couple 5wt's and a 6wt, with reels and spools to cover several options (Type 6, Type 3, Midge tip, full floating).

Am renting a 14' tinny and 8hp from the resort for the stay, and am bringing clamp on mounts with rod holders for both the trolling rods and the fly rods, as well as an anchor mount and 10lb mushroom. No electric motor unfortunately so will have to rely on the 8hp for trolling.

Wide assortment of spoons, flatfish, kwik fish, etc... and lots of flies, with a focus on leeches.

I don't generally fish spoons and plugs, etc... and am curious on how you set them up, especially for Sheridan. I can wait and ask in Little Fort, or at the lake, and I will, but would also like to have as much set up in advance of the drive to allow me to get on the water asap after checking in. What hooks should the lures be tipped with? Size and type? So many of them come with trebles on them, or monster sized hooks in comparison to the body of the lure. What's your go to? Can't seem to find much info on this online, lots about WHAT lures to use, but not about the hooks themselves. Are they meant to just be trolled bare hooked or what? Fished Hathaway last year for kokanee with hoochies and corn and scent with lots of success, but that's obviously not rainbows in Sheridan.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for secrets, just general advice. PM is fine too.

Thanks all!! :happy0180:

CranePete
09-05-2019, 01:55 PM
It sounds like you’ve covered all the bases. To be certain, I’d call Mark at Lone Butte Sporting Goods. He’ll have current info, and I’ve found him to be pretty free with good advice. Tight lines!

Big Racks
09-05-2019, 04:58 PM
It sounds like you’ve covered all the bases. To be certain, I’d call Mark at Lone Butte Sporting Goods. He’ll have current info, and I’ve found him to be pretty free with good advice. Tight lines!

Thanks, I may even pop into Lone Butte and see him. I usually like to give some business to the guys who are really helpful, what I don't pick up in Little Fort I'll grab there.

I just popped the big treble off of a 2 5/16" KwikFish, and put a single #2 hook on it, it still looks unusually large on the plug. Not sure what size I'm shooting for. Any suggestions? Do you normally just troll the hook bare?

Deep
09-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Spent five days, staying at Lac Des Roches as a base. 10 ft jon boat into many area lakes. Crystal lake had the large fish, with the Syclops lures being the most successful- including many flies used. Good luck, is has soooo many lakes to try.

CranePete
09-05-2019, 09:25 PM
I cannot tell a lie. I lived between Bridge & Sheridan for 22 years, but was too “head down, arse up” to get lotsa fishing in. I had my best luck there with chironomids, ‘52 Buick’s, and 4” Apex. There are many very large fish that come out of there every year, 5#’ers pretty common. I very much enjoyed the smaller lakes, like French, in my belly boat. Crystal was a huge favourite as well. Best of luck!

Penner
09-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Chironomids most effective but in May/Jun/Jul. Small leeches worked at a crawl under a strike indicator just above the moral likely most productive at this time of year. Leadcore lines with long leader trolling dick nite spoons or small flatfish can be good also. All in all very moody lake at best of times but there are hogs in there (10# plus) but lots of other options close by if they have lock jaw.

Leave 8lb and home. Pickup 4x and 5x floro tippet as trout will be spooked by thicker lines.

Big Racks
09-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Weather turned yesterday afternoon, has put the fishing off unfortunately. Got this beauty Friday afternoon, after about 20 minutes on the water, pretty quiet ever since.

Contrary to the fly rod in the pic, I actually caught it on a brass spoon trolled almost 5 colours deep. Wanted a rod shot and the trolling rods were back at the boat.

Just over 20" and 3 1/2 lbs.

https://i.imgur.com/312Rv1L.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/rnl5bk7.jpg

CranePete
09-09-2019, 09:10 AM
That’s a beauty, congratulations!

fsa313
09-09-2019, 09:16 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l2o1vj2wul8wagz/AAA6oEZt4LOfRb23uoEB3RsYa?dl=0
Good luck,
Neil Sutherland

Mr Flyguy
09-09-2019, 09:58 AM
Fawn Lake has some good fly fishing if you need a break on smaller water.

Big Racks
09-09-2019, 12:53 PM
One more to the boat this morning, about 1 1/2 lbs, released to live another day. Wind was picking up today, not a lot of fun battling wind in a small boat on a big lake. Spitting all morning as well, forecast calling for it to get heavier through the day.