PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver island

Dozer guy
09-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Good evening people,
Just got a surprise trip to Vancouver Island for my 40th bday at the end of next week for 4 days I was wondering if you guys could give me a couple Leeds as to what rivers around Nanaimo say 75km Radius would be worth checking out as I’ve never been to the island and doing some research on inter web just would like to know of some experiences that the a.o. Community might be willing to share with me. Will be taking both spin and fly rods and not to interested in ocean fishing as have done it in a few places off the west coast already. Many thanks in advance

Dozer

338Bluff
09-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Call the Nile Creek Fly shop. A lot of guys fish the beach. It might be a little early there though. Stamp River by Port Alberni could be picking up for Coho.

Brandonkop
09-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Good evening people,
Just got a surprise trip to Vancouver Island for my 40th bday at the end of next week for 4 days I was wondering if you guys could give me a couple Leeds as to what rivers around Nanaimo say 75km Radius would be worth checking out as I’ve never been to the island and doing some research on inter web just would like to know of some experiences that the a.o. Community might be willing to share with me. Will be taking both spin and fly rods and not to interested in ocean fishing as have done it in a few places off the west coast already. Many thanks in advance

Dozer

I don't know much about the rivers, but they are all over the place with salmon returning while you will be here. Should be coho returning to some of the rivers, which I think is the most fun to catch as they readily take lures like blue fox spinners, maribou jigs and gibbs spoons like Koho and Croc casting spoons. Coho like hanging out in deeper slower runs and slack waters. So cast your lures through that slower water and hang on because they will slam lures, run and jump to any fishermans delight.

58thecat
09-12-2019, 05:36 AM
Go to the nearest fishing shop and they will pull out a map and point you in the right direction....sell you your licence and maybe a few lures too.

SNAPFisher
09-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Cowichan would be on my list.

Here is a overview. Just scroll down to the top 10 list. And ignore fly fishing if you are not fly fishing :)

https://www.peetzoutdoors.com/blogs/peetz-news/best-fly-fishing-rivers-on-vancouver-island

Scott h
09-12-2019, 09:12 PM
I would look into the stamp river at this time of year.

fish99
09-12-2019, 09:41 PM
little and big Qualicum river.

Dozer guy
09-13-2019, 09:28 PM
Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and info 👍👍🤜

Salavee
09-13-2019, 11:36 PM
I would look into the stamp river at this time of year.

x2 on Port Alberni (Stamp River)