PDA

View Full Version : Deer movement and moon phases

204ruger
09-12-2019, 09:26 PM
What are everyone’s thoughts on deer movement and moon phases. There is a harvest moon to happen sept 13th. Do you find more movement the dusk of the day before or the dawn of the day after or????

I have usually noticed on a full moon night the deer are up all night and if your not out right at dawn you can miss em as they usually find a bed early. Never really noticed though if the dusk of the day before is high traffic or not.

Just curious what people’s thoughts are!!

beaver hunter
09-13-2019, 12:30 AM
1-2hrs before/after the overhead or underfoot times are the best in my opinion.

Big Grey Wolf
09-13-2019, 08:07 AM
Only difference is you can see the deer on full moon night. Do you eat every day, well deer like to eat every day as well. Deer do not give a sh-t about the moon, they have good night vision.

bucksman
09-13-2019, 08:27 AM
I don't hunt any differently around the moon but it is interesting to check my trail cam pictures and compare them to http://www.solunarforecast.com and a lot of the time an animal that moves during daylight matches up with the times they suggest as peak times. Worked for a bunch of my fishing pictures as well

Sledhead71
09-13-2019, 08:51 AM
Only difference is you can see the deer on full moon night. Do you eat every day, well deer like to eat every day as well. Deer do not give a sh-t about the moon, they have good night vision.

This is my experience as well. Daylight savings don't seem to affect their patterns either.

Kurt505
09-13-2019, 09:10 AM
I have been using the peak movement times for about a decade and they seem to match up with deer movement bang on.

bucksnbears
09-13-2019, 08:41 PM
Every time I think I have it figgered out, I find out I DON'T.
Hunt when you can!

58thecat
09-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Every time I think I have it figgered out, I find out I DON'T.
Hunt when you can!

Yup....moon experts....sun experts.....hunting/fishing experts....just get out and poke around, you will learn a lot more that way then reading the experts take.