PDA

View Full Version : Kananaskis Lakes

cuda
05-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Does any bodie know if upper and lower Kananaskis lake are open.Also looking to see if there are any suggestions on what to use or any other tips thank you .

chef
05-29-2007, 08:07 PM
i was at upper and lower on sunday, they are still about 10 feet below the boat launches which is about 60 feet of water less than it should be , although people were fishin .
Talked to a few people , one dude had a few fish , one was 21 inches and the others about 15 or so . the lower lake was totaly empty pretty much.

cuda
05-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Chef where people abel to launch boat , What where they catching on thanks

chef
05-29-2007, 10:50 PM
no chance in hello..
of launching a boat unless your walking a small boat to the waters edge , which was a long way from the banks, as well as rough as heck,
the water was 10 feet below the boat launch which is around 100 yards long ,and then it drops straight off down , like a diving platform ,
its a long way down the ramp to the water.

anyway the one dude, was catching his fish on a brown wetfly , hard to understand him , they were french , workers from the ski , golf resort area.

i was checking , because i am planning a 4 day trip next week , but im thinking kananaskis is out so its a trip to rocky mountain house area.

Also the rain and snow were a big deterant ,for me .
still alot of snow and ice on the shoreline ,as well as some heavy winds as usual on the long part of the lake .

cuda
05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks Chef I want to take My 14ft alum out but it 300lbs. may be camping elsewhere. do you know if you can boat on the lower lake?

bowfin
05-30-2007, 07:54 PM
i was at both lakes last sunday and no chance you will get a boat in either lake till they get 10 to15 ft of more water in there had to go to spray and there was just enouth water in there to launch a boat laker fishing was fair

chef
05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
as bowfin said ,
lower lake is worse than upper lake , with the lower lake and its closed end , you wouldnt know where to start ,
from the point of the lake , blah blah , there is no frikin point , its a stream in a mud valley ,.

ULTRAlite
05-31-2007, 07:31 AM
I noticed that Barrier Dam was nearly dry when I drove by the other day. Whats Up? Is it just that the snow pack has not melted?

willy
05-31-2007, 08:08 AM
most likely they expect a big runoff so they draw down the water to make room for flood control.

chef
05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
the snow pack in the mountains above upper k are still 4 to 12 feet deep as well as the upper roslynn lake , i believe is the name , is still solid frozen .
There is still alot of water to come and flood the lakes to thier upper levels,
Barrier is a part of the same river system as k lakes , but by mid june they will be well above the lower lines they are at now.

Just a note about these low waters.
if a guy ventures to get a boat in the lake , there,s a good chance of getting some nice fish as they are hungry and concentrated into larger numbers , therefore food competition and hunger ,force them into a bit of a shark frenzy.
The shore is very fishable if you find a deeper pocket away from the many sandbars.

ULTRAlite
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
the snow pack in the mountains above upper k are still 4 to 12 feet deep as well as the upper roslynn lake , i believe is the name , is still solid frozen .
There is still alot of water to come and flood the lakes to thier upper levels,
Barrier is a part of the same river system as k lakes , but by mid june they will be well above the lower lines they are at now.

I figured that was the case - but still a scary sight to behold...

TreeGuy
05-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Just being an azz on this one....

As we all know the record-breaking snow pack conditions are a direct result of Global Warming....warmer climate=more snow, get it?:rolleye2:

Tree