PDA

View Full Version : Question for Fellow Boater About Lanyard??!?

Calgary Fisherman
07-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey guys
When we arrived at Travers Yesterday, we were surprised to find our Emergency Shutoff Lanyard was broken that holds in the shut off switch.

Went to Bass Pro Shop and phoned some other people
They cost over $20 for a Cheap Piece of Plastic thats just going to break and break again

My question is, I notice that the newer boats have a Toggle Switch for the Shutoff. Is it a good idea to switch my Emergency Shutoff to a Toggle instead of a plastic clip holding the button in???
I just don't see the point of repeatedly replacing these lanyards when their made of plastic, and not metal
We tried using Loctite to fix our Lanyard to no luck, finally had to use a flat piece of board against our Leg to hold it and run the boat.
Was annoying.

Boat is a 93 Bayliner Limited Edition
I/O 4.3 LX Mercury Motor

Don Bates
07-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I was in a ski boat when the drivers was thrown overboard due to a series of minor issues that led the boat into a hard left turn...it was dangerous and could have been avoided if the lanyard had been used. A toggle would have been of no use. We got the boat under control before something major happened but it was to close for me. Just carry a second one in case the primary one breaks....Thats my two cents.

dodger
07-12-2009, 05:58 PM
The toggle system works. My boat has a toggle and the lanyard fits behind the toggle by friction. When you pull the lanyard the toggle is then flipped.
FYI, Dodger.

Calgary Fisherman
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Only reason Im asking is
This Lanyard for my boat, is really poorly designed
It has 3 Arms that extend off it and its pretty easy to snap one of those off
Im still not sure how it happened
Going to make some calls tomorrow and see what other prices I can get