PDA

View Full Version : Mountain (Trout) Fishing & Walleye shopping list

Mr Wiggles
07-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi guys,

I've spent the past 45 minutes or so searching & reading through old threads, but i didn't come up with anything definitive. If i somehow missed a thread on this topic, i apologize. This post is going to end up long, i just know it, but thanks in advance for reading and helping out!

Basically, i'm not new to fishing, but as my introduction post stated, i'm new to fishing in Alberta, specifically for Trout & Walleye.

I'm wondering if i can get some direction in terms of lures & gear. There is such a mind boggling array of lures in any store, I wanted to get your opinions on what works, what doesn't, and what's just simply a huge waste of $$.

First off, I'm going to need new rods & reels. I think, based on what i've been reading, a light or ultralight spinning rod/reel is going to be my best bet for lake, pond, and river fishing for trout. My old bass gear should be good for lake fishing walleye when the time comes. What have you found to work well for gear? Just a good quality, decent combo (pick and choose a good one) or is there a specific brand you guys swear by?

Next, lures. This is a tough one, because as i mentioned, there is so much out there, where does one start?

I have a bunch of shad darts in my tackle box from when i fished shad on the delaware river (awesome fish). They look like this

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_113221_011_01?$main-Medium$

Has anyone used anything like this here with success?

I was going to grab an assortment of len thompson spoons, what size is best? Primarily will be fishing in and around Calgary, and in K-Country. From reading, it seems the red & white stripe, and yellow & red 5 of diamonds are good patterns. Any other recommendations?

I was planning on buying a few torpedo bobbers to fill with water and allow me to spincast flys for river fishing (not interested in learning fly fishing, at least not this year). What flies are 'must-haves' for the area? This is the list i was going to start with (taken out of the 09 regs book), what sizes are ideal?:

Stimulator
Parachute adams
Light Cahill
Coachman Trude
Copper John
San Juan Wire Worm
Wolly Bugger

I have never caught any trout, ever. So, please excuse my ignorance for the species.

Turning to Walleye, this is a fish i would like to get into catching as well. I have lots of fake worms (berkley powerbait) and rigs, and crankbaits from bass fishing, not sure if the patterns are good for walleye, but i'm assuming the lures themselves would translate well to walleye (from what i've been reading, everything except the big topwater lures should work...in theory). Right now, i do not have access to a boat, so all my fishing will be shore based (until we all become buddies and you bring me along on your boat! :D).

Anyway, those are my questions. Or, to make a long story short, if you had no useful fishing gear, and were heading out in Alberta to catch some trout, what would you buy?

MrDave
07-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I always carry rattling Rapalas with me, as well as some of the same style from Berkley. Large trout will hit these hard. I also use the smallest of the Len Thompson yellow five of diamonds, Mepps spinners, and other brands of small spinners. So far i have had no luck with anything that has a large marketing plan. Lots of hooks are designed to sell, not to catch fish.
If you want a rod reel combo that will not give you grief, stay away from anything walmart sells.
I always recommend Barry's Trout highway for info on fishing the west country. He has a small list of what you are best to use for flies.
As for your power baits, read your regs, in many spots these are not allowed.

Bassett
07-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Fishing hole in west ed mall has a abu Garcia 5 bearing reel and rod it's only $50 and it's worth it it's very smooth. Len thompson and mepps are good spoons, my personal is just a basic red devil or a gold spoon.

Rick.
07-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I hope I don't get my butt kicked but I would suggest you get yourself a 6wt. fly rod set up for trout. Then a light weight spin cast for walleye. For walleye I use mostly 1/4 and 3/8 jigs with minnows, leeches, worms or gulp leeches. best of luck and welcome to Alberta fishing. It is a great experience. Rick.

Cal
07-12-2009, 09:15 PM
A 6-7' medium action rod will keep you covered for both. Get a reel with a spare spool put 6lb test on one spool and use that one for trout. On the other spool use 10lb line and use that one for walley and pike.

A good selection of walleye tackle should include: 3" curly tail jigs in assorted colors, yellow, black and white are a good start. Egg sinkers and/or bottom bouncers as well as swivels, #4 hooks, and spinner rigs for driftin and back trolling as well as casting. Rattling rapalas and an assortment of deep diving plugs such as hot n' tots or wally divers. Slip bobbers and related tackle. Pickerel rigs if you fish from shore.

For trout small spoons (about 1" long). Small mepps, blue fox, and panther martin spinners. An assortment of dry and wet flys as well as a casting bubble. Some small slip bobbers, split shot and bell sinkers for fishing live bait and power bait. I like to use worms and power bait on these. If any of this is unclear feel free to PM me.

thorne
07-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Hate to say it but try heading to a few fishing stores ask their opinion and you can tell who is throwing the bull and who is ackually passionate about the sport and wants you to enjoy it as well...having said that..my pics for trout are mepps comet red and white, black and white #2 red devil pattern, and definateky #1 or 2 panther martin, black blade with red body tipped with a good old fashion worm. As also mentioned, think about a fly rig...

Mr Wiggles
07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
This is great information guys; thank you, thank you!

I have taken your recommendations and added them to my list, going to pick up some gear this week, and head out on the weekend to hopefully catch a few.

bluewingedolive
07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Hey just a caution...
Your list of flies came out of Barrys fishing Alberta guide... not the actual regs. Check thread at top of fishing discussions for actual regs.

Mr Wiggles
07-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh snap! i didn't realize that, thank you. Just printed out a copy. Cheers!