PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on fly fishing spots near Calgary

flydad&son
07-13-2009, 01:58 PM
I used to fish a fair amount but have not really done much in the past 15 to 18 years. Prior to stopping, I had just started to dabble in fly fishing and really enjoy walking and wading smaller streams such as Jumpingpound south of Cochrane. Life changes.

I now have a 12 year old son and he is really keen to do more fishing. We both have interest in fly fishing. I have set him up with a nice little fly rod outfit and waders and we are keen to get started.

I also have an older ski boat so could do some reasonable sized lakes. We ice fished at Chain this winter and had a blast. Can anyone tell me if the fly rod from the boat may be productive there now? Last year we went to Ghost lake on the north side of the highway but never had a bite on anything we tried including bait and spinners.

I was thinking of taking him to Dewitt's pond on Wednesday to try casting and see if he had some luck there as well.

I would appreciate any help or advice you may have.

Thanks,
FlyDad.

jts1
07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Great to hear that your boy is involved. There are lots of spots to sling a fly around Calgary. Dewitts , Grotto are great places to. pratice. Quarry lake in Canmore is as well but there its Greyling not trout. Chain lake would produce fish on the fly. I think the trick to keeping your son learning is keep him on the fish Aint much fun learning without a few fish along the way. If you want to try something diffrent shoot down to PCR and get some walleye on the fly. Could do Chain and PCR all in one day

BlueNorther
07-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Don't over look the Elbow river downstream of the Glenmore dam. It's a good brown trout fishery with easy access and is wadable for most of it's length. You'll also hook up pike,rockies and rainbows. Fishing it early or late in the day will save you from having to dodge floaters.

jts1
07-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Don't over look the Elbow river downstream of the Glenmore dam. It's a good brown trout fishery with easy access and is wadable for most of it's length. You'll also hook up pike,rockies and rainbows. Fishing it early or late in the day will save you from having to dodge floaters.

Never done that think I will hit it tomorrow

flydad&son
07-14-2009, 01:34 PM
We are going to try get out at least once a week over the summer. Thanks again for your input and we will keep you posted.