PDA

View Full Version : ab/sask fishing camping?

mooseknuckle
07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Well family vacation coming up brother-in-law would like too meet about half way I'm in edmonton he's in Saskatoon. Anybody have any input as to where to meet with decent camping and fishing? trying not to go to far off the beaten track say south of lloyd and north of medicine hat. If I had my way (and i don't) it would be more north ie. meadow lake area or tobin lake.

grice
07-13-2009, 03:13 PM
TOBIN..... walls flats

Geezle
07-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I say convince him to go to Meadow Lake if you can. I have family up there and love the area. I'll actually be up there in a couple weeks :cool:

mooseknuckle
07-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah apparently my wife and him and the rest of his family used to camp up there when they were kids so I think that might be the way to go.
Thanks

Geezle
07-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah apparently my wife and him and the rest of his family used to camp up there when they were kids so I think that might be the way to go.
Thanks

So you've never actually been out there yourself? Then I definitely say check it out.

There's a number of lakes there with camping. If you're doing the family thing and don't want noisy people partying around, I think the Kimball Lake campground enforces quiet time in the evenings. I can't remember which other lakes there have camping.

Also lots of little lakes in the park with some great fishing!

mooseknuckle
07-14-2009, 01:06 PM
I've been to tboin lake with my brother and oldman we try and go once a year thats kind of our "hardcore"fishing adventure but yeah there will be 5 kids all under 5 years old. As for the noise issue we kind of lucked out with our little ones they would sleep through an earthquuake and me and the wife like to think we still have some party in us but looking into it more there are alot of good spots in that area. But me being a bit selfish I really want to get on some fish even just pike. I have a 12ft alum so I like to keep to smaller bodies of water especially with little ones on the boat so I'm not sure which lake would be best I'm thinking of blowing up a map of the area and throwing a dart at it? Your input is most appreciated thank you very very much Don't get me wrong I like an adventure but it's nice to have a little info going into it.:wave:

Geezle
07-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Ugh, it's been so long i'm having a tough time remembering everything that's up there.

I've never been to Tobin, so I can't speak for that.

I think it was Matheson lake that we usually camped at...nice spots, lots of trees, and of course close to the lake. Really, any of the campgrounds in the park are nice. I know Kimball has most of the services. They have a nice sandy beach there, a store, and showers and all that business.

As for lakes to fish in...there's tons, and they're all fairly small...we've always fished out of something small like the boat you have.

Of course if you get out to one of the lakes that doesn't have camping, it'll be a little less busy, and better for fishing. You might want to check out the Mustus lakes for some pike, or Petahagan (sp?) but I seem to remember that one being a little tough to get into.

When are you planning your trip? I'm going up there the weekend of the 24th to see some family...if you're going after that I can find out from my uncle and cousin some good spots for you to hit and get back to you.

mooseknuckle
07-14-2009, 01:48 PM
I beleive we're headed that way aug 23 or so. Looking at the old map here again there are plenty of spots too choose from all within a short drive of each other I making the exec decision we're going!!! Hey in the meantime anything else you find out/know about the area is greatly appreciated
:wave:

Geezle
07-14-2009, 01:55 PM
I beleive we're headed that way aug 23 or so. Looking at the old map here again there are plenty of spots too choose from all within a short drive of each other I making the exec decision we're going!!! Hey in the meantime anything else you find out/know about the area is greatly appreciated
:wave:

Well when I'm up there in a couple weeks I'll definitely ask the boys for some suggestions for you. Really, the fishing is pretty good in any of the lakes up there, but some are still better than others.

You might want to check out Petahagan (sp?) lake. It used to be a little tougher to get into back when I was out there, but TONS of pike, and hardly anybody else around :cool:

mooseknuckle
07-14-2009, 02:13 PM
You might want to check out Petahagan (sp?) lake. It used to be a little tougher to get into back when I was out there, but TONS of pike, and hardly anybody else around :cool:[/QUOTE]

Definately will try and do so just got me a brand new 4 x 4 maybe a guy coul strap the boat in back and see what he kind find. Nothing better than great fishing especially when you pretty much have the lake to your self.

mooseknuckle
07-14-2009, 02:19 PM
searchin the net I'm thinking flotten lake checked out their website WOW looks like a perfect spot.

russ
07-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Flotten, hope the fishing has improved. That lake is either hot or cold, depending on when I'm there. Luckily, I won't be going anywhere near there this year so you should have good fishing :lol:

Geezle
07-14-2009, 02:27 PM
You might want to check out Petahagan (sp?) lake. It used to be a little tougher to get into back when I was out there, but TONS of pike, and hardly anybody else around :cool:

Definately will try and do so just got me a brand new 4 x 4 maybe a guy coul strap the boat in back and see what he kind find. Nothing better than great fishing especially when you pretty much have the lake to your self.[/QUOTE]

Back in the day we strapped my uncle's aluminum boat on the rack on his truck and drove in. Don't think you could do it with a trailer unless they made a real road into there (which is possible)

What kind of 4x4 did you get? A truck or something else? I ask because I got a Jeep last September and I try to take it off the beaten path every chance I get! Also, if the road in is still as I remember it (been many years since I was out to Pet) be prepared for some trail pinstriping.

Geezle
07-14-2009, 02:30 PM
searchin the net I'm thinking flotten lake checked out their website WOW looks like a perfect spot.

Never been to Flotten...somehow I've never even heard of it?:huh:

Might be worth checking out though. Even if you don't have luck there, there's so many lakes in the park it'd be just a short drive to try somewhere else :)

mooseknuckle
07-14-2009, 02:46 PM
ahh you have to have a look www.flottenlake.com looks like paradise check out some of the fishing pics looks like a gem and a really nice campsite 35 a night might seem high however includes fire wood and these days come on that stuff adds up. and your right if it sucks there are plenty of other spots close by.