PDA

View Full Version : Family Fishing and Number of Rods

DarkAisling
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Another question . . . I'm going to have a lot of them!

So, from reading the regulations, I gather that one can only use one rod at a time. Now, if there are four people in a party but only three of them are actually able to use a rod, can you have four rods in use or three? Virtually all of our fishing will be in ES1 for the next couple of years.

Thx again.

MrDave
07-13-2009, 08:15 PM
It is the number of rods in use, not in possession. As long as the rod is not rigged and ready they can't be much of a problem.

Cal
07-13-2009, 08:21 PM
I often head out with three rods rigged up for myself, as I usualy am fighting a current in a canoe by myself I find it much handyer to switch rods than to try and change hooks. If I read you right you want to know if you can have a rod in the water for a family member that is not yet old enough to fish for him/herself. Thats a pretty gray area, I am not aware of any rules that apply to that situation but its deffinatly a little on the shady side.

DarkAisling
07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
If I read you right you want to know if you can have a rod in the water for a family member that is not yet old enough to fish for him/herself.

Yup, that's what I'm asking. We bought the little one a "Tigger" rod from Canadian Tire. He isn't old enough to use it himself, but he's old enough to get a kick out of his rod being in the water, too. I bought it before I read the regs.

Maybe we can put it in the water, but just use a weight instead without a lure? He won't know the differance, but it would keep us out of trouble.

Cal
07-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Like I said I dont know of any rules pertaining to that kind of situation. My own feeling is I would not do it for an infant that was too young to get any enjoyment out of fishing because then I am blatantly just trying to fish two rods. For a toddler + I would probably give him a line especily if I was trolling or ice fishing. Casting from shore I dont think anyone who has gone fishing with a small child, or witnessed the spectical, would argue that you have an unfair advantage. A toddler armed with a fishing rod is a fearsome weapon of mass destruction and either you or the wife will probably end up doing more damage controll than fishing. As this is all just my opinion anyways I guess just do what you feel is best unless someone can find a rule that would say otherwise.

Neil Waugh
07-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Where this can become a problem is when you see a guy clearly using his kids to exploit the regs so he can load up on fish. In most cases this usually involves fish pond trout.
He sits on the bank with the maximum number of legal rods going and the kids, grannies, etc are just there to fill the white plastic pail.
It causes a lot of tension and usually involves one user group. I'll let you fill in the blank.
I'm sure this doesn't describe you, I guess it's never too young to introduce children to the pleasures of fishing, but it's becoming a serious issue on many popular fisheries.
And has resulted in many Report a Poacher phone calls.

DarkAisling
07-14-2009, 08:37 AM
A toddler armed with a fishing rod is a fearsome weapon of mass destruction and either you or the wife will probably end up doing more damage control than fishing.

:lol: Great point. The visual is highly entertaining. I'm the "wife" however. ;)

Where this can become a problem is when you see a guy clearly using his kids to exploit the regs so he can load up on fish. In most cases this usually involves fish pond trout.

While this certainly doesn't fit with what my plans were, I can see how it could appear that way. The plan was simply to introduce the little one to fishing, put his own little rod in the water, and pretty much ignore it. We'll be casting from shore along the Bow.

I figure the best solution is just not to put a lure on his rod. That way he's introduced to fishing, we're firmly within the regs, and he doesn't become a weapon of mass destruction.

Cal
07-14-2009, 08:57 AM
:ashamed: Ooops, really sorry about that. You dont sound like it offended you very much but I should not have made that assumption. My own wife has shown me how its done with both the fishing rod and the rifle on many ocasions.

allenford
07-14-2009, 09:26 AM
how many people are eligible fishing, no rods should more than that in the water.

PoorTurtle
07-14-2009, 09:32 AM
I dont think you would have a problem for the little one to have a trigger rod for two reasons. 1- the odds of catching something with it are very unlikely. 2- i would bet that when the tot has the rod, you will be helping instead of fishing your self.

Hunter Trav
07-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Put a weight on, or even take the hook off of a spoon, and let em go hard. The kid will have a blast, and you won't be in violation of anything. :)

DarkAisling
07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
:ashamed: Ooops, really sorry about that. You dont sound like it offended you very much but I should not have made that assumption. My own wife has shown me how its done with both the fishing rod and the rifle on many ocasions.

Not offended in the least :)

My other half is pretty impulsive, so I'm in the process of getting all of our gear together for both camping and fishing. When he says "Let's go!" I want to be sure that everything is together in one place, operational, and reg compliant. I also want to be sure that our gear is "socially compliant" . . . I've already learned that there are some things we should do that aren't required in the regs.

He's certainly the better angler, but I'm the anal-retentive, A-Type engineer (Geomatics). The goal is to be able to get out of the house in an hour . . . which is pretty lofty since it takes longer than that to get the teenager out of bed!

Waxy
07-14-2009, 10:24 AM
This is just my opinion, but any CO out there that would give you grief for your toddler having a line in the water should find another line of work. It's a shame that we've got to the point that small things like this have become such a big deal.

It's completely harmless, and even if he/she did catch a fish (which would be awesome!) you can always release it. Getting young kids introduced and hooked on fishing is the key to maintaining the sport and fishery in the future. We should encourage it whenever possible.

Keeping a limit of fish for a toddler is really shady IMHO, but I don't see any problems whatsoever with letting them have a line in the water.

Waxy

P.S. If your toddler is anything like mine, Cal absolutely nailed what the experience is going to be like "A toddler armed with a fishing rod is a fearsome weapon of mass destruction and either you or the wife will probably end up doing more damage control than fishing." :D :lol:

Cal
07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
deleted

Cal
07-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Put a weight on, or even take the hook off of a spoon, and let em go hard. The kid will have a blast, and you won't be in violation of anything. :)

You make a good suggestion but I dissagree. There is still a good chance that people are still going to get violated by that Tigger rod!

GummyMonster
07-15-2009, 09:18 PM
my 2 cents:
a lure with no hooks is a great suggestion. my daughter is 2+ and loves to be included.the pride and joy she beams with will make your day.
If fishing for small game, ie perch, use a bobber and a small jig. Snip the very point off the hook. the kids love to see that bobber go under, and some will stay hooked, with less danger to everone above water.you could even snip the entire end off the jig if your more comfortable, just leave enough to hold the jig tail on.

trust me, you'll find yourself not worrying about fishing youself and still have a blast.

this is my opinion and experience, not concrete fact.

p.s.(if the tigger rod does not float, use some sort of tether!)
:evilgrin:ken:evilgrin:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I can bring 200 rods if I wanted but can only use 1 at a time . It is 1 rod per a person . Per a license . 16 and under dont need License and 65 and over dont need License.

allenford
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
I can bring 200 rods if I wanted but can only use 1 at a time . It is 1 rod per a person . Per a license . 16 and under dont need License and 65 and over dont need License.

I think this is clear enough.:wave:

jjstar
07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
I bring my little girl out and she has her own rod. I put the hook on once and she caught a pike before I had a line in the water. she was enjoying it till the pike reached the boat. At that point she just wanted it off her line. (big monster 2lb's) So I put the toy fish that came with her rod on it and for the next two hours she fought the imaginary monster fish instead, as it was not slimy and jumping around. She was ok with catching the pike but had way more fun with the plastic fish. I think this would be the best way to start the little one off. I even netted the plastic fish once in a while for her which she loved. It is all about making sure they enjoy what is happening, Every day now she asks if we are going out. I just need to convince the wife that it is okay... Either way addict them young and you will have a fishin partner for life :)

And as BBJ said one rod per person.

Tight Lines

Hunter Trav
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
You make a good suggestion but I dissagree. There is still a good chance that people are still going to get violated by that Tigger rod!

LOL...this is so true...:lol::D

mistamikel
07-16-2009, 11:16 AM
My 4yo lill girl loves fishing since I bought her a princess rod lol, i just put a jig or a small spinner or even a fly and a baber and she just goes to town lol (she can cast about 10-15ft on a good cast lol) when ever the warden comes by he just laughs at her and ask if shes caught anything yet lol. Point is just get a bag of green or pruple jigs and let'em go to town lol