PDA

View Full Version : Rave Review for Mike @ Bass Pro

DarkAisling
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
So, after rummaging around in our gear a bit more, I discovered that we needed another rod as one of the ones we had wouldn't work for us.

I headed over to Crappy Tire. I spent almost an hour playing with combos and asking the employees for prices. Very few of the combos had prices on them. No one could offer any advice. I finally gave up. Since we're in the north end of the city I decided to head up to Bass Pro.

Cool store . . . but what impressed me the most was how helpful, and honest, Mike in the fishing department was! I gave him the low-down on what I was looking for. He asked some questions. He then produced a combo that was $20 under what my budget was.

He also told me how to fix the "problem" with one of our rods, knowing that if I fixed the problem I wouldn't need to buy the rod he recommended. He didn't make me feel like an idiot in the process, either.

The problem with the rod we already had? It was a left-handed spinning and not a right-handed spinning. :o

I bought the rod Mike recommended, and when I got home I "fixed" the left-handed rod to use as a backup.

I'll be back there . . . again and again.

75ft Arborist
07-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Yes the fishing department actually has ppl who know what they are talking about. Its nice to see that they dont hire clueless ppl like other stores. I love Bass Pro. But have you noticed they dont have a Grizzly Bear, or Cougar. Hmmmmm

hal53
07-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes the fishing department actually has ppl who know what they are talking about. Its nice to see that they dont hire clueless ppl like other stores. I love Bass Pro. But have you noticed they dont have a Grizzly Bear, or Cougar. Hmmmmm
2 tough mounts to get, when you're buying them...probably the reason regarding Bald Eagles.....or lack thereof everywhere....

onthefly
07-17-2009, 11:30 PM
They cant display any grizzly bears because they are listed as an endangered and protected species in Alberta. They cant get the permits to ship them in. Any displays that were issued permits a few years ago before this came into effect are allowed to stay. Not sure about the cougar however.

DarkAisling
07-18-2009, 08:32 AM
I paid very little attention to the mounts and displays when I was in there. I just kept my head down (so as not to be distracted by all of the nice shiny things I don't need, but would buy anyway), and headed straight back to the fishing department.

goosefrabba
07-18-2009, 09:11 AM

There is a head mount of a cougar there I saw. but i agree they need a full body mount.

bingo1010
07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
They cant display any grizzly bears because they are listed as an endangered and protected species in Alberta. They cant get the permits to ship them in. Any displays that were issued permits a few years ago before this came into effect are allowed to stay. Not sure about the cougar however.

i don't think being endangered has anything to do with being able to display them

onthefly
07-19-2009, 09:40 PM
They did try to bring them in (I have a friend that works there) but they were not granted the permits to bring them over the board. I just assumed the reason why is because they are endangered. I don't know what else the difference would be between Grizzly bears and everything else they have that made it over the boarder.