PDA

View Full Version : Wooden floor for pop-up shelter

FlyTheory
10-28-2019, 08:36 AM
In anticipation of ice season and the -40 days on the ice, I was wondering if anyone has made wooden floors for their pop-ups?

TimboLefty
10-28-2019, 09:39 AM
I use a piece of carpet sometimes

swampy45
10-28-2019, 10:35 AM
No wooden floor, but I cut out foam matting in the shape of my tent with two holes to fish, and its warm enough to wear socks in there with the heater going! I only bring it out on overnight trips, and I am debating buying a second tent to have as a dedicated sleeping tent and fishing tent.

Zip-in-Z
10-28-2019, 01:07 PM
My folding chair sits on a piece of 1/2" plywood & I glued a 1" piece of Styrofoam under that, it keeps my feet & thermos, lunch etc off the ice & dry.

D.

Jamie
10-28-2019, 02:40 PM
What about those foam jigsaw type floor mats? Would those work? A heck of lot easier to move around.

TimboLefty
10-28-2019, 03:46 PM
I do use those to keep things dry

honker_clonker
10-28-2019, 05:21 PM
I have the otter resort hub and I use 2 sheets of 3/8” plywood cut in half to be 4’ squares. Save all the snow in the tent and throw the plywood over it overlapping in the middle and you have a dance floor with space around the edge to fish. Put the heater on a crate to raise it up and you create very little water in the tent. I camp in the tent like this and it’s great for 2 cots and gear. Making the 4’ squares is more manageable.

mapleleafman3
10-29-2019, 03:47 PM
I use drainage tiles and a carpet square for under my chair and feet. I don't cover the whole inside on my shack though. Basically the middle where I'm sitting.

Drainage tile link:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-pc-multy-tile-interlocking-drainage-tile/A-p8588840e

I have been toying with building a wooden floor as it combats the cold coming up from the ice really well. I found a link on youtube that I'll be using as a guideline if/when i get creative enough to start the project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpv-wwNdL60

57charlie
10-29-2019, 07:25 PM
I was going to give the 24" x 24" foam flooring tiles a try this year for the floor of my pop up tent. They are light weight so it won't add any bulk, they provide a good amount of insulation, easy to clean up and/or remove. To hold it in place I was thinking of using either Velcro straps or some thick two sided tape.

I know Canadian Tire sells the foam as "Grid Iron Step Floor Tiles".

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grid-iron-step-floor-tiles-24-x-24-in-0686097p.html#srp

MLayden
10-30-2019, 07:55 AM
I was going to give the 24" x 24" foam flooring tiles a try this year for the floor of my pop up tent. They are light weight so it won't add any bulk, they provide a good amount of insulation, easy to clean up and/or remove. To hold it in place I was thinking of using either Velcro straps or some thick two sided tape.

I know Canadian Tire sells the foam as "Grid Iron Step Floor Tiles".

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grid-iron-step-floor-tiles-24-x-24-in-0686097p.html#srp

I have been using these for several years. They can get quite slippery when water is underneath them on the ice...and if they get frozen they can tear apart as well. I buy them when they go on sale so not a bad investment if I destroy a couple a season.

hellitsme
10-30-2019, 12:10 PM
I have been using these for several years. They can get quite slippery when water is underneath them on the ice...and if they get frozen they can tear apart as well. I buy them when they go on sale so not a bad investment if I destroy a couple a season.

I find that they freeze to the ice and tear apart also. But they do work.

prosnowsk8er
11-04-2019, 08:58 AM
I built a two piece base out of shallow aluminum "unistrut" for my Eskimo 949I.

it splits apart into two 4x8 pieces, has some small skis on it, sheeted in plywood with 4 holes cut in. Worked great last year, and once your loaded up with all ur gear inside 1-2 people (or a truck) can pull it along even in the snow.

I'll see if I can load some pictures of it later on

CanadianFisherman
11-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Similar to what another said, I use those square foam floor pads that connect together. Stays dry and warm, and 4 covers what I need quite well in a 3 man pop up. I've seen some with a rug with holes cut but it's a bunch of extra work setting up that I don't really need myself.

57charlie
11-04-2019, 02:03 PM
The plan is to use it on the inside of my 1 man pop up tent, thereby avoiding the issue of freezing to the ice and less likely to be torn apart.

FishHunterPro
11-04-2019, 04:54 PM
I built a two piece base out of shallow aluminum "unistrut" for my Eskimo 949I.

it splits apart into two 4x8 pieces, has some small skis on it, sheeted in plywood with 4 holes cut in. Worked great last year, and once your loaded up with all ur gear inside 1-2 people (or a truck) can pull it along even in the snow.

I'll see if I can load some pictures of it later on

This sounds pretty cool. I’d like to see these pics

EZM
11-04-2019, 10:23 PM
After trying many of the above suggestions ..... here's the ticket ....

Roll out the rubber checker plate flooring mats, they come in a few different widths (and weights) and are cut/sold by the foot. I have 2 pieces of 4' wide by 10 long that I drill holes, shovel away slush and roll out.

They never freeze to ice, never slippery, they are always flexible, and easy to roll up and carry or put into a sled and make a nice compact 5-6" tube x 4 ft long....

I have the heavy duty, and they aren't cheap, but replacing your flooring every few seasons isn't cheap either. I've had these 10 and they are as good as new.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/heavy-duty-checker-plate-rolled-rubber-mat-by-the-foot-/A-p8681660e

prosnowsk8er
11-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Here are two pictures of my setup. I put puckboard strips to help it not stick to the ice but I don’t think it was needed. Base keeps me 4” off the ice. Also added bolt/hooks in the corners so I can hook the shelter in place using using the holes where the ice pegs would go.

Just need to add some no skid strips as it us a but slippery when wet

prosnowsk8er
11-05-2019, 09:13 PM
also, I flip one floor peice on the other and put all my gear on top so if i'm walking on I use it like a big flat sled, works good when not to loaded or to much snow.

once the cheap plywood gets rotten i'll replace it with some kind of polyurethane or pvc stuff, with lots of grip of course

old dog
11-06-2019, 06:52 PM
I have something similar to what EZM uses but got it from Home Depot. Have slept in the tent many times wo any issues. The buddy heaters work great. Not that I have had any issues with CO2, I do use a monitor.